CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shafts

7 Iron Geee is on a distinguished road

Question Shafts

I need some help and you guys should know that

In a shaft you have the flex, kick point, toruqe and weight(which play a role in swing weight).

With a driver, I have a swing speed of 100-105 mph with a slow tempo and a low ball flight.

I like heavy swing weight D3 or D4.

What should I be looking for????

Thanks

J-F

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie

In a shaft you have the flex, kick point, toruqe and weight(which play a role in swing weight).

With a driver, I have a swing speed of 100-105 mph with a slow tempo and a low ball flight.

Thanks

J-F
    dbleber:
    I found this at www.truetemper.com go to shaftfit. It has a good series of questions that will give you an idea of the right shaft for you.(True Temper of course)
    Denny

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    with that type of swing, you would want to look for a shaft with a low kickpoint probably in a stiff, but not X-stiff, that will just drive the ball too low. Low torque is always better for players with a higher swingspeed, so try to stay in the 2-4 range. If you like a haevier shaft then look for something around 75 grams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    J-F
    The difference between a low and high flex point is very small and according to Tom Wishon in his book "Practical Clubfitting Programme," is a very minor factor in determining the trajectory of the ball. However, he also says that if you are going to err, do so on the low KP side as there may be slightly discernible increase in ball flight with high swing speeds only. Because you do hit the ball low then a lower KP is advantageous. A lower KP also increases the feel of a good shot and that may be important to you. Now, and I don't mean to be a smartalec, but how are you going to know that the shaft that you choose has a low KP? Just because someone says it is, or labels it so, is not acceptable.

I have access to thousands of measurements on hundreds of shafts, so if you want an exact measurement of the location of the KP of a shaft that you are interested in, let me know. These measurements are about 6 months behind the introduction of a new line of shafts.

In wood clubs, I use SK FIber shafts 75% of the time. For your swing speed and ball flight I would recommend the SK Fiber Pure Energy "S", for example. As it has a softer tip, regardless of where the flexpoint is, the ball will fly higher. If you had the same swing speed and high ball flight then the SK Fiber Lite Revolution I "S" is better because it has a stiffer tip and would lower the ball flight. If you had a faster tempo, high ball flight, and your current swing speed, then the SK Fiber Lite Revolution II "S" would be a better fit, because it has a higher torque and a higher frequency.

Frequency and torque work together. A smooth swing requires a low frequency, low torque combination. Because of a low rate of acceleration, the sofer frequency will allow you to load some energy into the shaft. This has to be offset a little by the low torque. Conversely, a fast start to the downswing requires a high torque, high frequency shaft. This kind of golfer has no difficulty loading the shaft, hence the high frequency(stiffer) shaft. However, to prevent it from being too stiff the torque is raised.

You must avoid a high frequency/low torque combination, or a low frequency/high torque combination like the plague, and there are some shafts made this way.

The high F and low T may be OK for the long driving contestants with their 125 mph plus swing speeds, but for we mortals, they would not work.

Does this help or merely add to the confusion?

7 Iron Geee is on a distinguished road
    thanks

I needed to read it twice but really good information to have and understand

Thanks

J-F

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    thanks

I needed to read it twice but really good information to have and understand

Thanks

J-F
    A huge change in the way in which a shaft is selected for a golfer is in the process of being developed and it won't be long before fitting a golfer by frequency will become a thing of the past.

Traditionally, shafts are manufactured so that they are stiffest in their butt end and most flexible in their tip end, so we use butt frequency to fit golfers. Some shaft manufacturers are now making shafts that are more flexible in the butt end and stiffer in the middle and/or the tip end with the result that the trajectory of the ball may be different, even though the butt frequency of two shafts may be the same.

Clubmakers will need to know the flex profile of a shaft in order to properly fit the golfer. This change is good as the probability of the golfer getting a shaft that will enhance his performance, I am still talking golf here, will go up.

Andre knows more about shaft profiling than I do, so if you are listening Andre, jump in with your coments.

Mayday

Shaft Recommendation

BC Mist
    What graphite shaft would you recommend for a driver
    with a swing speed of 120 and a frequency of 265

I would like to pick the bast shaft

Thanks

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Mayday

Shaft Recommendation

This is great but how does it help understand the frequency component, or is that a hand craft that needs to be evaluated with the machine only.
    I have had my frequency checked and wanted to know if you had to chose the shaft to match the frequency.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information