CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'll go on record saying that you will be VERY happy with your purchase
    Totally agree with Hacker, you're going to like it a lot.

Putter pe34sab is on a distinguished road

Sg4

Have read a lot of comments about the different GPS units for sale and I want to add my two cents. This past March I bought from Golfsmith in Florida a Sky Caddie SG4, it was at a reduced price $199. I have to say it is everything I expected, perfect yardages, lay-ups, hazards and how far did I hit the ball. Battery life is excellent, web site is easy to manage. The one thing I would like to add to the discussion is the driving range or practice sessions. The golf courses that have driving ranges are included with the sky caddie. If you select driving range it will show you yardages to the different locations on the range. This is important because as the driving range is used the groundskeeper moves the hitting location to different locations. All this is excellent information because now you can actually see how far you hit a ball with different clubs.
    Last edited by pe34sab; 04-27-2009 at 08:57 PM.

5 Wood nd2golf is on a distinguished road nd2golf's Avatar
    Well I am glad that I am not the only one that is confused about this. I have been wanting to get a golf gps since last year and said forget it because I was so confused. I was really leaning towards the golflogix as it is by Garmin and I know that my etrex and nuvi are excellent units. The etrex is well built and waterproof.

It's interesting to read that the golflogix is measured from the fairway, so does this mean that it will be inacurrate if say I happened to miss the fairway (not that I do....much anways ).

I might send an email to the golflogix support to ask them that question, I have sent them a few questions and they are pretty good at getting back with an answer.

I borrowed a friends SG5 on the weekend to give it a try. It was definitely nice having instant yardages without having to look for sprinkler heads. Didn't really need to use the extras that are on the 5, so I am now leaning towards the 2.5. I checked out the golfsmith site and see that there is a 3.5, which intrigues me as it takes AA batteries so no worries if I forget to charge the unit the night before a round.

I have a couple of 4-5 day getaways coming up where we play 18-36-36-18 so battery life is going to be a big necessity.

Anyways, thanks for the excellent information.

Dave

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Dave,

As I said before, I've got the iGolf NEO and I am really enjoying it. Like you said, I don't need all of the extras. The NEO has a rechargable battery, shows you the front, middle and back of the green and has four other custom points. It's small and the battery last several rounds between chargings. And you don't need a membership to enjoy it. For under $200 it's a great price!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Par Anth13 is on a distinguished road Anth13's Avatar
    Those prices are unbelievable...but they don't have any left handed stuff!

8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road
    well I thought i made my mind up about the golflogix but after seeing the posts on the neo I think that might be all I need....dont want to confuse my golf game anymore than i have to.....LOL...but seriously will the neo pick up 15o yard markings or would that have to be something i can put in myself??/

You can put in the 150 marker in one of the four customs spots, but that is not generally needed unless you always want to shoot for the 150 yeard marker.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I got an SG 2.5 off ebay new for $275 shipped, and it came with a free carrying case. I've had it about 3 weeks, and I love it. The 4 star mapping is excellent. Intelligreen is awesome. My buddy just got an sg5, & I am just as happy with mine as he is with his.

However, I still think these things are a little pricey, given the recent free-fall of automotive gps systems.
    Andrew

What I don't like is the manditory yearly fees. It will be interesting to see what happens now after Bushnell bought iGolf...
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    What I don't like is the manditory yearly fees. It will be interesting to see what happens now after Bushnell bought iGolf...
    I agree.

I can see the value of continually having courses added and updated, and the fee thay charge isn't outrageouse, but its still annoying.

quick question: my unit can hold 10 courses (I think) at once. Does that mean that if I abandon my subscription, I get to keep those courses in there?
    Last edited by Sakuraba; 05-19-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: 10 courses, not 3
    Andrew

Not sure.
    Colby

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Sak, out of the box your should be able to hold 10 unless the latest flash up-grade was performed which means it can hold 20 and you have the electronic scorecard capability......if not, you can download the patch for $29 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Sak, out of the box your should be able to hold 10 unless the latest flash up-grade was performed which means it can hold 20 and you have the electronic scorecard capability......if not, you can download the patch for $29 I believe.
    I do have the electronic scorecard, & I think it can hold 10, but possibly even 20. My main question is: if I don't renew my membership will all those courses remain in there for easy (but obviously no longer updated) use?
    Andrew

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Should be able to hold 20 Sak. Technically I don't think the courses are yours to keep, but I don't see how they can delete them from your unit if you don't sync it. You're not linked to skycaddie when you're out using it, just the gps satellites.

Colby, I'd rather pay yearly fees to a service like Skycaddie where they go out and physically map the courses, as opposed to most of the others who satellite map.

But I can map my own courses, not pay a fee and have exactly the points I want. All on a unit that costs less than $200.
    Colby

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    But I can map my own courses, not pay a fee and have exactly the points I want. All on a unit that costs less than $200.
    All good points......except for the first round or two that you play a course.

But if you want, you download the course and tweak it! The courses you play the most, you can create those pretty simply, as you don't need to mark everything, just the stuff that affects you.
    Colby

9 Iron Forrrre is on a distinguished road Forrrre's Avatar
    Hi guys,

I want to buy a GPS system in the next few weeks.
    I see you talking about skycaddie, golflogix, the NEO..etc..

What about the Golf Buddy ?
    Anyone has anything to say about it ?

Thanks for your input... very much appreciated !

Pat

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Looking to buy a GPS for golfing.

Although I like the display of the SkyCaddie 5 and the flexibility to move the marker around on the green for accurate numbers....

In reality as someone that shoots mid 90s... I ain't even close to that accurate.
    That seems like a feature geared towards someone that is very good at golf.

Is there anyone that shoots in the 90s that sees value in the intelligreen feature?

I am assuming no and have narrowed my choices to the GolfLogix or the SkyCaddie 2.5. But curious what others think.

Thanks

After finding a great deal on another golf site I picked up a gently used sky caddie SG5. It has been terrific and great having all of the obstacles/hazards marked. As soon as I picked this up I started dropping strokes (shooting in low-mid 90's) now getting into mid 80's, just a few weeks with it and my handicap has dropped.

I have used the intelligreen on occasion, not a huge deal to be able to move the cursor, but the green does rotate if you are approaching it from a different angle. This helps so that if you can't make out the shape of the green you can see where the fat part is to shoot for.

I was in a scramble on Saturday and one of the other guys in the group had the golf buddy. We compared several times, the yardage his was showing and what the sky caddie was showing and everytime they were off by at least a few yards up to 10 yards. I checked my unit out several times with sprinkler heads and a yardage book (we hosted the Canadian Amateur a couple of years ago that it was created for) and the sky caddie was within a yard each time we compared the two.

It is definitely nice to be able to walk up to the ball and know exact yardages, makes the round quicker and club selection easier. I am hitting more greens in regulation than ever.

The rechargeable battery has not been a problem, which was a concern of mine. I have had several occasions where I play 36 holes in a day and the battery is just fine throughout the round, could probably get another 9 in at least.

I hope this helps other out.

Dave

8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road
    Grabster I also shoot around where u do and I bought the Neo...small, compact, does not overload u with too much info...and to top it off I bought mine for 127.00 new with free shipping....i love it it tells me how far I am from the green and bunmkers when i tend to end up over in other fairway..............LOL

3 Wood Rocket Man is on a distinguished road Rocket Man's Avatar
    does anyone have any experience with sonocaddie? currently looking at the different brands of GPS's and haven't heard too much feedback about the sonocaddie's.

9 Iron Forrrre is on a distinguished road Forrrre's Avatar
    was able to buy the SG2.5 off eBay for 275$ US (shipped and duty ).
    honestly it's the best thing that could ever happened to my game..
    first round I played was my best round ever (+1 at Le Sorcier).
    4 rounds later, I shot my best round ever once again (-4 yes yes a 67)
    I couldn't believe it myself...
    This unit is so precious from anywhere... i know the exact distance to the front and back of the green.
    From 100 yards in, it's so nice to know the exact distance....
    Wish I could afford the SG5, but extremely HAPPY with the SG2.5.
    battery is good for two rounds which is also nice if you play 36 holes.

Pitching Wedge lefties king is on a distinguished road
    how much are the monthly fees?

Are you asking about the fees for the Sky Caddie? If so, there are three levels (State/Province, Country, Worldwide). I live in Windsor so I play in Canada and the U.S. so I had to go with the Worldwide subscription and it is $60 US for the year. The country is around $50 US.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    A new feature is coming soon.
    Attached Images

Thread Information