CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

SkyCaddie SG 2.5 vs Golflogix

These 2 units seem similarly priced right now, anybody use the Golflogix? A little internet research is making me lean towards the golflogix, as it has no download charge for 20 courses (& the one I primarily want is already available)

It seemed like I was the only golfer in Arizona without one. I never saw anybody with a laser rangefinder down there either.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The Skycaddie is a lot more accurate, and is smaller too. I have a 2.5 and definitely would rather do without the annual fees, but $30 gets you every course in Canada, which isn't so bad. An extra $20 if you want the US. I can also map any course that hasn't been mapped. The new firmware allows it to hold 20 courses, plus it keeps a scorecard for you as well.

The golflogix was definitely one I considered though, lots more courses mapped and it's waterproof too.

I have played about 10 rounds with a skycaddie in the cart, & it was pretty solid. The golflogix looked as good. Isn't it dead on accurate?
    Andrew

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Don't discount the iGolf NEO. Not all the bells and whistles (scorecard and stuff like that) but if you want a solid golf GPS unit that will tell you what you need to know, than for less than $200 bucks, you can't beat this unit.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

The other cool thing about the Neo is that users can (and do) share the courses they've created. No need for the membership option. It's a nice little unit for sure, the new Bushnell GPS is made by the iGolf people.

Garmin maps courses using satellite pictures, not by sending people out. So there's that, and then with the intelligreen stuff, where Skycaddie maps the perimeter of the green, you get accurate distances to the front/middle/back from wherever you are on the course, not just the fairway. With the golflogix, the front/middle/back are plotted from the centre of the fairway. I'm not suggesting that you wouldn't always be hitting the fairway, I'm just saying for me it's handier to have more options.

You can also move the pin on the skycaddie screen to match the placement you see on the green. At Dragonfly last week my skycaddie was within a yard of a Bushnell laser in terms of accuracy. I like it a lot.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'll throw my vote in for the Skycaddie 2.5 as well. It is superfast to up-date, locks up with the Sats quickly, is very light and now with 20 courses and a score keeper it is a great unit.

FWIW - I've played side by side with my Father who has the Golflogix unit and the Skycaddie had more information than the golflogix unit on both of the courses that we tried them on

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I really want to scoop up a SG4, but I don't think Greensmere is on there, I sent a request to them, but not sure if that will actually come through. If it does, I will get one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I really want to scoop up a SG4, but I don't think Greensmere is on there, I sent a request to them, but not sure if that will actually come through. If it does, I will get one for sure.
    It's not on there, I sent them a request too. I suspect they're waiting for the full 36 to open?

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I sent a request for a lot of the local courses that are not on there yet. Hopefully they will send someone out and they will take care of the remaining courses in the area !!!!

Oh yeah.. i've got the SG4 and so far I am lovin' it. Dunny, has the golf neo, and side by side from the fairway the distance are either spot on or off by 1 yrd. For me skycaddie gets the one up by having bunker locations, water locations, corners, trees etc, already acurately mapped.
    Last edited by OutOfTheRough; 04-07-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: update to list choice and reason

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    Dunny, has the golf neo, and side by side from the fairway the distance are either spot on or off by 1 yrd. For me skycaddie gets the one up by having bunker locations, water locations, corners, trees etc, already acurately mapped.
    I bought one of the iGolf Neo as well. And some of the courses mapped by iGolf do have bunkers, lakes and hazards already mapped. Some might have one or two on a specific hole with capability of having up to 4 per hole. Very easy to do while playing, took about 20-30 seconds to map a location.

... so far very happy with it.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Thanks for the input. Looks like the golflogix is out. I might ebay a skycaddie, but I have never seen the igolf neo. to the interwebs!
    Andrew

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you have a GPS enabled or bluetooth (with GPS reciever) smatrphone, look at Intelligolf.com
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Thanks for the input. Looks like the golflogix is out. I might ebay a skycaddie, but I have never seen the igolf neo. to the interwebs!
    dont forget the cost of memberships
    iGolf is $35 US for one year but then thats it. Cancell after the first year and keep the course files forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    I bought one of the iGolf Neo as well. And some of the courses mapped by iGolf do have bunkers, lakes and hazards already mapped. Some might have one or two on a specific hole with capability of having up to 4 per hole. Very easy to do while playing, took about 20-30 seconds to map a location.

Compared to the max of 40 per hole for the Sky Caddie.

I'm not knocking any of the available units, but let's not forget that you get what you pay for......

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

I'm not knocking any of the available units, but let's not forget that you get what you pay for......
    absolutely!
    if there would have been no membership fees to use SC or GB, I would have probably bought one too.

ps ... when would someone need 40 spots marked per hole - how many hazards and bunkers are there on your course

absolutely!
    if there would have been no membership fees to use SC or GB, I would have probably bought one too.

ps ... when would someone need 40 spots marked per hole - how many hazards and bunkers are there on your course
    Ever have an opportunity to play Crowbush Cove on PEI

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar

I have one also ........ for the price its outstanding. Simple to use and has all the info I NEED. Well made, compact ........ and its easy to map a crse yourself !!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

There's a few holes you may need more than 4 custom points, but for the majority of holes, you don't need much more than that. I certainly don't need every bunker and hazard marked, and I can ignore greenside bunkers. Tell me front middle and back of the green, and on some holes the carry over water or distance to the water if it is in play, maybe the end of the fairway or something like that.

It's certainly a limitation I can live with for the price difference and the non-requirement of an on-going subscription.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Intelligolf has 9 points per hole

Front, middle, back of green
    100, 150, 200 yard markers
    3 points user defined for hazard carry or layup points

I think that's perfect. I like the distances to the yardage markers for layups.

I used to use Intelligolf on a GPS enabled PDA, but this year I have upgraded to a Nokia N95 Smartphone. It is a very nice all in one unit. Phone, PDA, GPS for road hiking or golf, music player etc. A great option that will save you money over buying all the stand alone units separately. I got mine slightly used (in mint condition) on ebay for $300 CDN shipped

I have yet to play a round of golf with the new unit but I have tested it against the old one side by side and the readings match perfectly.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Dan, is this something I could use on my Blackberry? Your review is pretty good, has me interested! What local courses are available? Is there a website for sharing courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Intelligolf has 9 points per hole

Front, middle, back of green
    100, 150, 200 yard markers
    3 points user defined for hazard carry or layup points

I think that's perfect. I like the distances to the yardage markers for layups.

I used to use Intelligolf on a GPS enabled PDA, but this year I have upgraded to a Nokia N95 Smartphone. It is a very nice all in one unit. Phone, PDA, GPS for road hiking or golf, music player etc. A great option that will save you money over buying all the stand alone units separately. I got mine slightly used (in mint condition) on ebay for $300 CDN shipped

I have yet to play a round of golf with the new unit but I have tested it against the old one side by side and the readings match perfectly.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Yes to all of your questions. www.intelligolf.com look for your device in the supported devices list.

I used my Nokia N95 while golfing over the last 2 days and one thing that impressed me was the battery life. It goes on standby after 30 secs but it springs to life very quickly when you wake it up. We were on the course for 3:50 min yesterday and I used 512 mah out of a 1200 mah battery. That means the unit would run for 9 hours of use as a golf GPS. Should be OK for a 36 hole day, but it will definately hold up for 27 or a slow 18. The screen is brighter than my old Garmin PDA, but a bit smaller so text is smaller but that's the only negative.

Well, I am just about to pull the trigger on a skycaddie SG2.5, but I noticed on Golfsmith's website that the SG4 is now $199 US new. I thought 4 was better than 2.5? maybe I'm missing something.
    Andrew

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    I just picked up an igolf triton(now the bushnell yardage pro xg) gps off ebay. Haven't had it out on the course yet but it offers the same features as the sg2.5 EXCEPT no yearly fee. One time $35 charge to get up to 100 courses and then you can keep them without renewing. That was the deal breaker for me because I thought about the sky caddie sg2.5 as well. Got a pretty good deal too. PM if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by northern33 View Post
    I just picked up an igolf triton(now the bushnell yardage pro xg) gps off ebay. Haven't had it out on the course yet but it offers the same features as the sg2.5 EXCEPT no yearly fee. One time $35 charge to get up to 100 courses and then you can keep them without renewing. That was the deal breaker for me because I thought about the sky caddie sg2.5 as well. Got a pretty good deal too. PM if you have any questions.
    Dont forget to dowload update for the software and unit itself.

Well, I am just about to pull the trigger on a skycaddie SG2.5, but I noticed on Golfsmith's website that the SG4 is now $199 US new. I thought 4 was better than 2.5? maybe I'm missing something.
    The 2.5 and the 4 are very close in terms of basic features. The 4 has a larger screen, but the 2.5 is small and lighter........GT guy told me that the 2.5 is identical to the 5.0 with the exception of the colour screen.

With the exception of the SG5 which is the very latest SkyCaddie, the X.5 versions have the latest technology in them and the X.0's are a little older.......for example when I bought my SG2.5 they had an SG3.0 for a few less bucks - I was told the the 3.0 uses the old sat acquisition software and was a significant downgrade.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    If I knew how to attach an excel spreadsheet I would attach mine.

Since they don't have a website that lets you compare models easily, I just cut and pasted the feature lists into a spreadsheet, then you can very quickly see which model has which features, and which features each model is missing.

I would say the desirable models are any that have rechargable batteries. And the numbers do not go in order of best, as 5.0, 2.5, ???, would be the order of best at this time.

http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf/Products/default.aspx

As well as color, I don't think the 2.5 has this (compared to 5):
    - Displays depth of green from angle of approach

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    If I knew how to attach an excel spreadsheet I would attach mine.

Since they don't have a website that lets you compare models easily, I just cut and pasted the feature lists into a spreadsheet, then you can very quickly see which model has which features, and which features each model is missing.

I would say the desirable models are any that have rechargable batteries. And the numbers do not go in order of best, as 5.0, 2.5, ???, would be the order of best at this time.

http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf/Products/default.aspx

As well as color, I don't think the 2.5 has this (compared to 5):
    - Displays depth of green from angle of approach
    The depth of green and the score card come with the software up-date if I'm not mistaken

The depth of green and the score card come with the software up-date if I'm not mistaken
    Yup, software up-date includes:

• 20-Course Storage Capacity,
    • Digital Scorecard,
    • MyPar™ Scoring,
    • Auto Depth of Green,
    • Auto Shot Distance Display and
    • Digital Clock.

I just ebay-ed a new SG 2.5 from my favourite ebay seller. Thanks for all the help, this board is very valuable at times.
    Andrew

I just ebay-ed a new SG 2.5 from my favourite ebay seller. Thanks for all the help, this board is very valuable at times.
    I'll go on record saying that you will be VERY happy with your purchase

Thread Information