100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iron dream set

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Iron dream set

Just wondering what would be your dream iron set if money was not an object.Something that you drool over whenever you see a picture of them.
    For me it would be the new Cally prototype forged irons sold at GolfTown for 1400.00.
    Remember money is no object and indicate what they sell for.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    For me it was always a set of Cleveland TA1 or TA3 Gunmetals
    Fortunately the price on these has come down enough that it is no longer an object, although they are still pretty expensive for decade old clubs.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    I am happy with the Nike Blades, but the Nike Victory Red TW blades look sweet.
    They are bent 2* stronger than the older blades.
    Also, when the first blades came out in 2002 they were 1200 US and it is nice so see that the new blades are only 999 Canadian!
    Bite, Bite!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Taylor Made Japan Forged TP.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Some extreme oversize irons made completely (Shafts, headcovers, grips) of Palladium. I can sell it on the open market or melt it down and make a nice little Arc reactor to power the AI based robotic suit I'm building in the spare bedroom of my apartment.

If I had to go with clubs that are real, then I'd go with LW's choice. Those TP's look mighty sweeeeet!
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    You're not Tony Stark!

I'm going with the AP 2 right now. They look so nice at address. Or that golden "EA Sports" set from Tiger Woods PGA Tour on the 360. bling!
    Andrew

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    The MacGregor 1025's were a very nice looking forged set (available in cavity-backs, muscle-backs or as a combo set), and I also really liked the Nike Pro Combo's...

...but I honestly don't see myself replacing my current set of Wishon 560's anytime soon. The DGSL shafts are perfect for me, and I also had them customized to TLT lengths. Best irons I've ever played - by a long shot.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Intaresting to see that many players would choose forged irons as there dream set.Keep them coming boys.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I already have my dream set of KZG Forged Evolutions.

Another vote for forged.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    ...but I honestly don't see myself replacing my current set of Wishon 560's anytime soon. The DGSL shafts are perfect for me, and I also had them customized to TLT lengths. Best irons I've ever played - by a long shot.
    For these irons to be considered the "best you have ever played," would you say that it is the TLT process that makes them superior for you, the look at setup, the feel at impact, other reasons, or all combined?

Having MOI matched my clubs using non-standard differences in length, with Wishon 550M's and 550C's, and having looked at most every thing else available, I cannot see anything else being better that what I have now. Prettier - yes. Better - no. Also have a set of the 560's.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    For these irons to be considered the "best you have ever played," would you say that it is the TLT process that makes them superior for you, the look at setup, the feel at impact, other reasons, or all combined?

Having MOI matched my clubs using non-standard differences in length, with Wishon 550M's and 550C's, and having looked at most every thing else available, I cannot see anything else being better that what I have now. Prettier - yes. Better - no. Also have a set of the 560's.
    IMHO the TLT process definitely works - I can really notice the difference in the 4 & 5 irons and in the 9, PW and GW (which are the clubs that are affected the most). I just got back from Vancouver where I played my back-up set of Raven Undercuts (not TLT but built by Andre), and I noticed the difference immediately when I put the Wishons back in play today. I'm thinking about getting my woods and driver cut down to TLT lengths as well to complete the progression.

For me it is all about performance and feel. The shaft/head combo feels great and suits me, and when I put a good swing on the ball I am rewarded with a shot that is straight and long. Frankly I think the medallions on the 560's look kinda tacky, but I don't want to mess with a good thing. The only irons that came close for me was a set of KZG forged CB-IIM's that were a little less forgiving but had a really nice sweet spot.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar

yonex nano v forged

Most people who have tried them all will say the japanese are the best at forging. Right now I play 10 year old yonex tour forgings with boron shafts - these are the clubs Phil played when he was still a decent player.

I want to get my hands on the latest yonex forgings - called nano v - they are not available in North America, and likely never will be. I saw them profiled very positively in a uk golf mag which has research a little less tied to the advertising dollars spent. I think the same can be said for most of the better forgings - and they are all made in Japan. Its just a different market over there - for many the dream sets are the sets they own. It is not price and marketing driven, it is technology and quality driven. Thats why they are better than most everyone else.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

2 Iron goto10 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    It is not price and marketing driven, it is technology and quality driven. Thats why they are better than most everyone else.
    Are you for real? Ever heard of Honma?

Hello, Yes have heard of Honma, thank you for your question

Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    these are the clubs Phil played when he was still a decent player.
    Decent player? In 2008 he's #3 in the world ranking, #3 money leader, T3 for top 10 finishes & #2 in scoring average. Just what does it take to become a decent player in your eyes? Surely there are more than 2 decent players out there?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    IMHO the TLT process definitely works -.

Series 5.6,7 or 8? How did the fitter go about determining the right series for you Mister T? The undercuts if I recalled correctly had pretty much the same frequency across the set.

BC: How did the single length experiment turn out for you??
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Decent player? In 2008 he's #3 in the world ranking, #3 money leader, T3 for top 10 finishes & #2 in scoring average. Just what does it take to become a decent player in your eyes? Surely there are more than 2 decent players out there?
    Judgment based most probably because his tee shots are often all over the place and his performance in major tournamnets.
    Mahatma Gandhi

He is stll a rather decent player.

Of course he is and will probably be for a long time.
    Mahatma Gandhi

8 Iron littlelefty is on a distinguished road
    i guess if it was what was my dream tennis racket id pick yonex?
    anyways a guy at my club has honmas that were exclusive to japan, he is japanese and picked them up there when he was seeing his family
    those things are sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Series 5.6,7 or 8? How did the fitter go about determining the right series for you Mister T? The undercuts if I recalled correctly had pretty much the same frequency across the set.

BC: How did the single length experiment turn out for you??
    Mine are Series 6. Al Bezanson was the clubfitter, and he had me hitting my own clubs and then some demo 7-irons and 4-irons of different series to narrow down the range.

Because he had a lot more desire and potential then....
    Just because someone has tremendous talent and can still perform at a high level doesn't mean they are not disappointing those who believe in them. Just look at the Ottawa Senators
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

He is stll a rather decent player.
    Also please try to keep this thread on topic

Hey, any player on the pga is decent. Wrong word I guess, but despite all his money, I think Phil is now on the downside of a great career. And I cheer always for lefties.
    Yonex wins lots of awards, just not in marketing. Yes they are good at tennis too - didnt know that disqualified them.

3 Wood Kiwi-man is on a distinguished road Kiwi-man's Avatar
    Spalding Executives oversize! You can shovel snow with the 9 iron

Used to have a set of Execs.(Didnt everybody have a set of these)They were great clubs to start with.Passed them to my son and he played with them for a few seasons also.

8 Iron LBlack14 is on a distinguished road
    TaylorMade TP Forged Smoked or the Miura Forged CB's:

Not much on signatures eh ?

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

what is the process of TLT and is it gaining in popularity? worthwile?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw View Post
    what is the process of TLT and is it gaining in popularity? worthwile?
    Lots of buzz about it on the FGI and TWGT forums - not so much here. Only a couple of local clubmakers have the charts and it is not what I would call "club 'ho friendly", but IMHO it is definately worthwhile when done properly. I think I was one of the first to get it done locally, and have recently had my lie angles re-adjusted and they feel even better now. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com/tr...echnology.html

Basically, the idea is to promote a consistent address position and posture throughout your set, which should in turn result in more consistent contact. I would also say that the benefits are much greater for tall golfers, where a +2" set still leaves them with a PW that they have to crouch over to play.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I would like the TaylorMade TP Smoked MB Irons...only if they were made LH...

Thread Information