100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road

butt trimming Project X shafts...

I picked up a set of PING I-10 WRX irons on eBAY that are +1" in length (1/2 " longer than I usually play) and shafted with Project X 5.0 shafts (a little softer than the 5.5 that I usually play).

If I were to trim butt trim them 1/2 ". what would be the effect on the overall stiffness? i.e. would they then be approximately 5.5? Is this what "soft-stepping" refers to?

Are (1) tip trimming 1/2 " or (2) trimming 1/4 ' from the butt and 1/4' from the tip possible options? If, so how would these alternatives affect stiffness compared to simply butt trimming the full 1/2 "?

Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdwlkspld View Post
    I picked up a set of PING I-10 WRX irons on eBAY that are +1" in length (1/2 " longer than I usually play) and shafted with Project X 5.0 shafts (a little softer than the 5.5 that I usually play).

If I were to trim butt trim them 1/2 ". what would be the effect on the overall stiffness? i.e. would they then be approximately 5.5? Is this what "soft-stepping" refers to?

Are (1) tip trimming 1/2 " or (2) trimming 1/4 ' from the butt and 1/4' from the tip possible options? If, so how would these alternatives affect stiffness compared to simply butt trimming the full 1/2 "?

Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction?

If they are tapered tips, trimming from the tip won't work because the shafts would no longer fit into the hosels.

Butt trimming 1/2" will stiffen up the shafts a little bit, but probably not enough to get them to where you want them.

As for soft stepping, that involves taking the shaft from the 3 iron and putting it into the 4 and so on down the set. Shafts would then play even weaker to flex. But if you were to hard step the irons (take the 4 iron shaft and put it in the 3 iron and so on) they would definitley play closer to what you are looking for. From my understanding, hard stepping usually stiffens up a set by about a 1/3 of a flex or so. Only down side would be that you would need to find a shaft for the PW if you were to hard step.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    You are pretty much stuck with these shafts the way they are. Butt trimming 1/2" is not going to affect stiffness IMO.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Like Geoff said,I just got my irons soft stepped(going the other way)and it made a difference in the stiffness for sure.My shafts were to stiff for my swing so this was the fastest and cheapest way to do it.Its worth a shot for sure.They were also butt trimmed to keep them at the right length.
    Last edited by Marcos; 04-06-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to ad

5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road

butt trimming...

Thanks, guys. I've got the picture, now!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    You are pretty much stuck with these shafts the way they are. Butt trimming 1/2" is not going to affect stiffness IMO.
    On a gripped club the difference in a frequency meter is 5-6 cpms so the answer is 1/2 a flex if you do not bring the club back to its original swingweight.

Big Johnny69
    If they are tapered tips, trimming from the tip won't work because the shafts would no longer fit into the hosels.

Butt trimming 1/2" will stiffen up the shafts a little bit, but probably not enough to get them to where you want them.

As for soft stepping, that involves taking the shaft from the 3 iron and putting it into the 4 and so on down the set. Shafts would then play even weaker to flex. But if you were to hard step the irons (take the 4 iron shaft and put it in the 3 iron and so on) they would definitley play closer to what you are looking for. From my understanding, hard stepping usually stiffens up a set by about a 1/3 of a flex or so. Only down side would be that you would need to find a shaft for the PW if you were to hard step.
    Hey Big J. You are coming along real well TT has soft/hard stepping as a sub flex.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    On a gripped club the difference in a frequency meter is 5-6 cpms so the answer is 1/2 a flex if you do not bring the club back to its original swingweight.

Hey Big J. You are coming along real well TT has soft/hard stepping as a sub flex.

I ask enough questions, you'd think eventually I'd remember some of the info I've read and put it to good use.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Dont let your fiancee know that you remember anything, it would upset the entire foundation of marriage, I mean can you imagine any husband actually admitting that he remembered something to his wife, that could be very dangerous.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Dont let your fiancee know that you remember anything, it would upset the entire foundation of marriage, I mean can you imagine any husband actually admitting that he remembered something to his wife, that could be very dangerous.

Except her birthday and anniversaries.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I actually had those dates burned into the back of my eyes with laser surgery. Also try to remember what card you got her in the past, they remember every one and you will get "you already got me a card like this, did you buy a case of them?" At which point you reply grovelling " yeah but it really says what I feel" and hope it all goes away
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lob Wedge I 3 putt is on a distinguished road
    if you tip it an inch it will change the flex one level. so on a project x half an inch will get you close to 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by I 3 putt View Post
    if you tip it an inch it will change the flex one level. so on a project x half an inch will get you close to 5.5
    But if they're taper tipped shafts you can't tip them. They won't fit into the hosels then. And being Ping I10s, I believe they are taper tipped.

Thread Information