100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

Your season starting lineup and why

I think most of us fanatics have now been out at least once or are getting out this weekend so this is a time of great hope. Over the winter most of us make some changes and this is the time of year to experiment.
    Curious as to what other members are starting the season with in their bags and why. I'll start... going a bit experimental this year. Here is what was in last weekend and will also be in until some of them kick themselves out.

Driver 1 - Callaway Big Bertha 460, 9.5* NVS65 stiff: This was my driver for most of last season and it was a pretty reliable stick. Pretty safe for now, unless something better comes along . Which leads us to...

Driver 2 (yeah, I'm doing the Phil thing) - MacGregor NVG2 440, 11.5* NV65 Pink stiff: Picked this up at the end of last season and used it for one round. It was great. It's almost 2" shorter than the Bertha so I'm using it on the shorter, tighter holes. Strangely, despite the loft, I hit it a lot lower than the Cally.

3-wood - Callaway Big Bertha 2007, Uniflex steel shaft - The longest, straightest, most reliable 3 wood I have ever hit.

5-wood - Goliath Genesis 21*, DGS300 - This is a 200cc Big Bertha Warbird copy that I have had in the bag since I started golfing in 1996. It's as safe as a club can be in this house

4-6 iron - Cleveland TA3, DGS300 - I used a set of TA3 Gunmetals for most of last season and absolutely loved them. The chrome TA3s I used on the range and when it was raining. I always hit the TA3 long irons amazing but was not quite as good with the short irons as with blades. Which leads us to....

7-PW irons - 1972 Ben Hogan Apex Classics, Apex 4 steel shafts (I think... the shaft bands were already illegible when I bought the set for $25 bucks 10 years ago) - I've had these forever and they always seem to come back to haunt me. Had not played them for two years until I snuck them out for the last round of the season last November on temporary greens. I won't say what I shot because it was temp greens, but it was one of those rounds that makes you go hmmm... I always hit the short irons fabulously in these but the long irons can be a challenge . The PW is 51*, which makes a gap wedge irrelevant and leads us to these...

Wedges - 54* and 60* Cleveland CG10 Black Chrome. Love these wedges, although the 50* is getting lonely in the closet.

Putter - Taylor Made Spider 34". This is just a great putter. Clunky looking but it gets the ball in the hole
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Driver: Wishon 919 11* with a DVS-65X. I picked both of these up this year. I've been looking to try an 11* in that head since I was killing the 9.5* I have, just a little low. The DVS (especially in X) is an experiment. So far on the range it looks like a winning combo. This is the most significant change in the bag.

4W: Wishon 949MC with a Saber 75-S. Hit this club awesome all last year. Not changing it.

3H/4H: Wishon 585HI with Project X. Put these in play last year and really like them.

5-PW: Wishon 705W2 with FST Pro 125. I built these last year and they are still in the bag for this year. I took the tip weights out this year to make them play a little lighter (from D3-4 down to C9-D0) and I like it so far.

52/56/60: Wishon CX-Micro with FST Pro 125. Had these for a couple seasons now. Made the same SW change as the irons.

Putter: Hogan-Bettinardi BHB5-SS. Not changing this out any time soon.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    not much new in my world:

Driver 1: TM R7460 NVS - effortless to hit and I can swing as hard as I want. great launch angle for me
    Driver 2: TM R510TP - not as long as the others but straight. slightly lower launch
    Driver 3: TM Burner TP - just got it reshafted with an NVS and will hit it tomorrow for the first time. high expectations here.

3 wood 1: TM R7 Ti - the longest 3 wood I have hit. Great off the tee and deck.
    3 wood 2: TM 200 Steel - a classic head, great off the fairway.

2h: TM Rescue Dual TP - my go to club for around 210 yds. hits a nice draw, great out of the cabbage.
    3h: TM Rescue Dual - new addition over the winter.

4i-PW: Mizuno MX-23 - Nippon 950GH - absolutely butter to hit. completely effortless and confidence inspiring.

GW-LW: TM Z-Cutter - things of beauty that spin the ball like crazy.

Putter: Odyssey Black #2 - a classic design, great weight, great looks

Why the above? I can't find a driver I hit better than the R7. The irons are butter - there is deep love there. The wedges are sweet. Love the Odyssey. Gotta say I am not looking for much new this year.
    Last edited by jeffc; 04-04-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Here is my bag setup and why...

Driver - Callaway FTi 9.5* - picked this up late last year, and it has done wonders for me off the tee (and the odd time not ...LOL !!)

Hybrids #1 Nickent and 2 Callaway's - 3h is the fusion and the 4h is the X models. These I use when I'm in the ruff and don't want to use my irons.

Irons are the same from the beginning - Callaway X-18's uniflex shafts 3-pw - These haven't let me down yet so they are not going anywhere. Only change might be the shafts to something stiffer, if needed.

Wedges are Nike SV 52*, 56* & 60* - Absolutely love these wedges although I have not tried anything else. Have been contemplating trying out some clevelands.

Putter Odessy 2 Ball w/ steel insert - I was thinking of changing to a regular style putter, but after my round at Casselview I'm going to keep it in the bag.

Balls - I used to use the Callaway Hx Tour, but thanks to my round at Casselview and playing with some recycled pro V1's, these suit the way my game goes a little better. Definitely will be adding these to the bag instead of the Cally's.

This is how i'm packing the bag for now, only minor changes will be made pending results of course!

Tim
    Last edited by OutOfTheRough; 04-03-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Well I have changed a lot since posting my WITB pics for the season...

Driver: Titleist 905R NV (back to old faith-full but looking)
    5 Wood: Titleist 909F2 VooDoo
    Hybrid: Titleist 909H Diamana
    Irons: Taylor Made Rac TP MB S300
    Wedges: Vokey OC 50, 54 and Cleveland 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1
    Bag: Taylor Made TP Mini Staff Bag

I think I am going to slowly try to go all TM (with exception to the putter spot).. see how that goes..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    My bag to start the year (and I'm not giving reasons to why, because no one will believe them ):

Driver: R510 TP 10.5* w/ TBD shaft (leaning towards a SMT EON Ultimate)
    Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TP 14* and 19*w/ Diamana
    Irons: R7 TP w/ PX 5.5 (brand spankin' new and dirt cheap to boot)!!!!!
    Wedges: TM RAC Black TP 52*/56*/60* w/ Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Putter: SC Studio Select 2.7 w/ Superstroke (it's getting some mods done to it )
    Bag: TM Red and White carry
    Shoes: Adidas Powerband and Powerband V2
    Pullover: Adidias Climacool
    Shirts: Adidas Climacool
    Hat: TM Burner fitted, white

Do you see a trend here?????
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 04-03-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Some nice sticks there, and some interesting reasons. I love to hear why people use certain clubs
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'm going with:

Driver - 905R with a ys-6+, because it's the only one I seem to swing half decently. I have an ft-5 that I was hoping to transition into this slot, but the results were not so good last week. Is it possible to hit hosel rockets when a club doesn't have a hosel? Doesn't seem possible, and yet...

FW - TM R7TP 17.5* with a VP80, when I am swinging well, this club is money. When I'm not swinging well, doesn't really matter what I'm swinging so I may as well stick with it. Really good fairway wood, the best one I've ever hit. I have the matching 3w, but I doubt that'll get more than range time this year.

Hybrids - TM Rescue Mids 22* and 25* with FST steel shafts, I just like them a lot. I've tried a lot of different hybrids and I always come back to these guys.

Irons - 5-pw Ping i10s with AWT steel shafts, they look, feel and sound great. I've always loved Ping irons and these might be my favourites yet.

Wedges - Cleveland CG11 50*, Spin Milled 54* and 58*. The 58 is the best club in the bag. Not sure about the others.

Putter - Either my Weir victory or my Mills Softtail. Probably the Weir most of the time when the greens are quick and the softtail, which is heavier, when the greens are slower. I have a bunch more, but these are my two favourites by a long shot.

Bouche
    Same as last year...

Driver. Titleist T - 8.5 Xstiff Graffaloy
    5 Wood. Dynacraft no-name but a beast of a club
    Irons are the Cleveland Gunmetals (Thanks to the Saint)
    Vokey Spinmilled Wedges
    And The Pipe Putter.,...ugly thing but it works

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Driver- Nike Sumo 5000 with Grafalloy blue, Started out with this head last year but moved to the 5900 in mid season, hit it well but always thought i was missing something when i switched. so tried the 5000 out again and i have been BOMBING it long and straight with my miss not being all that bad.

3 wood - Nike Sumo2 VS proto shaft. Man i can not say enought good things about this club, very reliable off the turff and great off the tee with its larger then normal head

5 wood - NOPE replaced it with a 18* Nike Sumo2 hybrid, shafted it about an inch longer then standard to make it play closer to a 5 wood but more versatile from the ruff and odd lies then a 5 wood for me

3/4 iron- Nike VR Split cavity 4 iron\Nike Sumo2 Hybrid, Ok so this is were is gets kinda strange 4 iron is at 23* hybrid at 21* yet they go about the same distance maybe 5 yards give or take, I think i am the only person who does not hit hybrids alot further then irons. I switch these out depending on wind conditions and how firm the ground is.

Irons - Nike VR Split Cavity 5-PW 1* degree up and strong. Played the Pro Combo tours 2 years ago, loved the feel just not forgiving, switched to CCI cast last year, very forgiving but very bulky looking and to much off set as my miss is a heavy draw (i think they call it a hook) These so far have been money, feel awsome, good forgiveness and been spot on for distance and looks.

Wedges - Titlest Spin Milled 50,54,58 AWSOME, AWSOME, AWSOME, just the best wedges i have ever played had them all last year and feel i can hit every kinda shot with these. Did I say they were AWSOME?

Putter - Scotty Cameron Red X3, Picked this up on a whim, the previous owner cut it down to 33", great for me with my monkey arms, and increased the head weight to 350 grams. Been the best putter i have ever used and haven;t even thought of buying a diffrent one since

WOW this is long hope there isn't too many spelling mistakes, but this is my version of why i use what i use!

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road

the Best "Cubs" for 2009

My starting "Cubs" for the 2009 season:

At Driver- Ashton X1 with 10.5* loaded with an Aldila DVS 55R at 45"
    At 3 Wood- Ashton X1 with 15* loaded with a GDI Blue Aura 65R at 43"
    2H and 3H - Nike CPR3 ironwoods with Aldila TGi 100R
    4-PW-- Nike CCi forged with Project X 5.0 flighted(soft stepped)
    GW - Nike SV Tour 52/10 with Project X 5.0 flighted wedge shaft
    SW- Nike SV Tour 56/14 with Rifle Spinner 4.5
    LW - Cleveland CG10 Satin 60* two dot with Rifle Spinner 4.5
    And at putter- the "Boss of the Moss"-- Guerin Rife Two bar Hybrid at 34"

All clubs are equipped with Winn Hybrid grips.
    My golf balls of choice are: Nike One Platinum(2008) and the newcomer is a Nike One Tour(2009)

This is more than adequately "handled" by the "Coach" A Nike Black and Silver 9.5" staff bag. Now if they can just lead me to a "World Series" championship. Doubtful!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    My bag to start the year (and I'm not giving reasons to why, because no one will believe them ):

Driver: R510 TP 10.5* w/ TBD shaft (leaning towards a SMT EON Ultimate)
    Putter: SC Studio Select 2.7 w/ Superstroke (it's getting some mods done to it )
    Shoes: Adidas Powerband and Powerband V2

One of these things is not like the others

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking

Driver: Ping G10 10.5*, Matrix Ozik X-Con 6. This is it's second season. I love the sound and it has the perfect launch and spin rate for me. The shaft really loads nice and I feel like I can hit it a mile if I really step on it. Of course that's just a fantasy.

Woods: Callaway FT 15*, Matrix Ozik X-Con 5. I was looking for a change from my TM Burner and picked this up. The ball seemed to rocket off the club face. I had the X-Con 5 kicking around and put it to use. I just love the combination. Club is long and flight good. I would like a little more height but I'm pretty satisfied. If I can cut the corner on #4 West at Outaouais by getting over the trees, it will stay in the bag.

Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18* & 23*, VS Proto By You Hybrid. I love these clubs. They look like they belong in my bag. They look like two tough brothers waiting to be called in to clean up. You just point and shoot. They are new so I have to get accustomed to the yardages.

Irons: 2009 TaylorMade Tour Preferred w/ KBS Tour 5.5 - What can I say. These irons are awesome. I was looking to try something new and so I picked these up. I'm so glad I did. They feel soft and the ball has a beautiful high tragectory. I can't wait until my course opens up to put these guys to work.

Wedges: 2009 Callaway X-Forged 52*/56*MD/60*MD C-Grind w/Rifle Spinner 5.5.. I sold most of my wedges this spring and settled on these. I have yet to put them to use but I had the X-Tours and loved them so I can't see me replacing these for awhile.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Centre Shaft Newport2 Beach Prototype. I have tons of confidence with this putter. It sounds fantastic and rolls the ball very well. This is the second season with this putter.

I like all the new gear; however it will most likely take some tweaking, some bending and possibly re-shafting.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

"I like all the new gear; however it will most likely take some tweaking, some bending and possibly re-shafting."

You are truly the 'ho of 'hos
    Nice reviews too! Now I want to try a G10

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post

Other than the Spider, TM doesn't really make a putter I like. So off to the next best thing.....I guess. Wait until you see the finished product, it's going to be sweet!!!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    My batting order remains unchanged from '08 season end.

Driver:
    Wishon 919 - 7.75* (Accuflex VS 339 R)

FW:
    Wishon 919 - 3,5,7 (SK Fiber Lite Revolution S)

Irons:
    Wishon 550C - 4,5,6,7
    Wishon 550M - 8,9 (SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 - single frequency, MOI matched)

Wedges:
    Wishon CX Micro 48*.
    Taylor RAC @54*
    Ben Hogan Sure Out 60* (SK Fiber TT 80)

Putter:
    original Odyssey 2 ball

Ball:
    ProV1 or X

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    New driver, fairway wood, and wedges this year, and reshafted my hybrids and irons.

Driver: Callaway FT5 9.5* Neutral with I-mix Fujikura Rombax

Fairway: Callaway FT 15* with Fujikura Rombax

3-4 (hybrids): Wishon 785HF with KBS tour shafts

5-PW: Wishon 560MC with KBS tour shafts

52/56/60: Vokey Black Nickel with KBS tour shafts

All with White/Black Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound cord grips

Putter: Cameron 009

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Still a work in progress:

Driver: TM Tour Burner TP or Ping Rapture or TM SuperQuad

Hybrids: TM Burners TP

Irons: Bridgestone GC's or Cobra Carbon CB's or TM R7 TP's

Wedges: TM and Cleveland

Putter: Odyssey Tri-Ball or XG#9

Spring golf will determine which items get to go in the bag.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quite a few changes from last season ...
    Driver - TM Tour Burner 9.5 deg with matrix ozik x-con 5 (i like what i've seen so far at the range with this one , had a 907d2 last season which has gone to the back-up dept)
    Woods - 3 & 5 wishon 949 with GD Purple ice shafts (no change from last season , or for a long time with these bad boys , luv 'em)
    Irons - Titleist Ap1 4-pw with DG high launch stiff shafts (should have bought these last year , exactly what i need ... for now)
    Wedges - Scratch 53 , 56 , 60 (picked up at the end of last season , and again they ain't goin anywhere soon)
    Putter - Odyssey black #1 - (another one from last season that suits me just fine)
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Here goes for the starting line-up that should be the finishing line-up in November:

Driver: TM Tour Burner TP with Accra T70 M4. I loved my R5 TP Tour, but found I was getting a lower ball flight with the TBTP as well as nearly 500 less spin, different shaft that helps as well. TBTP has a great look to me, love the black with little "TP" alignment.

3wood: Bridgestone J33 15* with Accra SC75 M4. This is as close to a slam dunk in my bag as there has EVER been. Had it in the bag for the last 4+ years and just hit it great. Can hit it high off the tee or penetrating depending on tee height, and can hit a medium-high penetrating ballflight from the fairway.

7ish Wood: Titleist PT 20* with Accra Tour HF M4. This is the only club that could be replaced as I am not sure of it, although I love the look and the feel of the club when struck well, however its not the easiest club to hit solid everytime.

Irons: TM 300s 5-pw with DG Black Gold Stiff: Loved these shafts in my B'stones because they gave me that nice boring trajectory but with enough spin to stop pretty quickly on the greens. The TM 300s until I re-acquired them, were the clubs that I wish I had never sold. I am filled with confidence just looking at them, and they perform for me just as well as they look.

GW: B'stone WC 52* - just bought this wedge and love the look and the feel. It feels great on full shots and chip shots.

SW: Titleist SM 56* - Great looking club, have stripped the rust and gun blued it and the finish is great. Very versatile wedge from around the greens and I have great confidence from the bunkers with it.

LW: B'stone WC 60* - Not currently in the bag, but I have a vacancy at this position and knowing how good the GW is, i want to give it a try at 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna 'Gun Blue' - I have tried others but seem to find my way back to this one, so its gonna be the gamer to start the year. Its 34" and a great putter for my stroke. The only thing that can push it is if my Newport 2 doesn't sell, I'll turn it into a belly putter and add some weight and see how that works

Ball: Srixon Z-Star - really like this ball so far in two rounds. Found it to be long enough off the tee, while still being soft into the greens to basically stop my shots where they land, whether it be a PW or 6i. A bonus is that it doesn't seem to get chewed up badly, scuffed a little but not to the point of taking it out of play, like the ProV1 or HX Tour for me.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    After an early career as a club 'ho, my bag has had very few changes over the last two years:

Driver: 9.5* Orlimar HTi 440/stock shaft - This is the only club in my bag that I bought brand new - it was an add-on to an E-bay shipment that I picked up for around $30. It worked great from the moment I tried it, and although I keep trying others, it just keeps hangin' around...

3-wood: Wishon 915HL/Aldila NVS - this club has been in my bag forever, and will probably never leave it. When my game is on I can bomb it from anywhere. Another add-on on an FGI deal from my club 'ho days...

5-wood: Ashton X-1/Aggressive nRage - nice club that has served me well, but I will probably replace it this year. Maybe another SHIII or a Wishon...

7-wood & 9-wood: Callaway Steelhead III/stock Callaway shafts - just picked these up this week from Indio to replace an Ashton X-1 and SH+, and initial tests have been very positive. I'm a FW guy and I've always liked Cally fairway woods, so I think they'll stay for a while...

4-GW: Wishon 560MC forged/TT DGSL - love both the irons and the shafts. They feel wonderful and they are very forgiving without having a fat sole or a thick topline. I had them adjusted to TLT lengths last year and Andre tweaked them over the winter, and now they are even better. These will be in my bag for a long, long time.

SW/LW: Wishon CX Micro 58*/Rifle 6.0 - serves as both sand wedge and lob wedge for me - I use it for most shots from 5- 50 yards. I love the 0* bounce at the heel and the ability to drop-and-stop.

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 CS#2 - I had it cut down last year to 32" and had some weight added, and I might experiment with it a bit more. Or try something else, who knows...

3 Wood dwalker is on a distinguished road dwalker's Avatar
    This year I made changes in the long clubs.

Driver- Ping G10 (9 degree) with Prolaunch Red stiff
    Back up is a Ping G5 (9 degree) with Adila NVS 75 stiff

Hybrids- Nickent 3DX Ironwood #1 (14) #2 (17) and #4 (23)

Irons- Ping G2 5 to GW

Wedges- Hogan Riviera 54 degree and Ping MB 58 degree

Putter- Odyssey White Hot #1 blade
    Slice, hook, or straight down the middle. It all looks the same on the score card.

Birdie one16th is on a distinguished road one16th's Avatar
    Cobra L4V X 44" w/Aldila nv ProtoPype 60x tipped 1/2" (A low straight bomber...Will not go left no matter what I throw at it)

Cobra LD F 3W 42" w/Aldila Vs Proto 80x (High Long and Workable)

Titleist 585H 21 w/ DGX100 (Straight Bullets)

Ping S58 w/DGX100 (Still making up my mind on these but not bad so far, shredders like the wedges) Might just sell these and go back to my MP30's if they dont sell first

Ping Tour Wedge Black Nickel 52,56,60 w/DGS400 (Very versitile but shred balls)

Cameron Newport 2.7 /Futura/Odyssey Xg#9/Ping Craz-e/Anser 4(Depends on my mood )

Driver: R510 TP 10.5* w/ Fuji Motore F1
    Shoes: Adidas Powerband and Tour 360 V 3.0

Bolded are the changes!!!! Can't wait for the season to officially start. And by officially I mean being able to play day after day and not have to keep an eye on the forecast for snow!!!!!!

Geoff...FYI I was at Winners South Keys yesterday and they have some nice TM R7 Ace Hats there, with with black stitching for $12.99. They had 4-5 left. Not sure about the other stores.

Geoff...FYI I was at Winners South Keys yesterday and they have some nice TM R7 Ace Hats there, with with black stitching for $12.99. They had 4-5 left. Not sure about the other stores.

Nice, I might check the BC store on my way home from work today or tomorrow night. Thanks.

Other than the Spider, TM doesn't really make a putter I like. So off to the next best thing.....I guess. Wait until you see the finished product, it's going to be sweet!!!!

Sadly, this day may never come.

Thread Information