100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar

Help appreciated!

Lets just say that i have a slice... and if i were to say that it was totally caused by my clubs *cough* .. other than that being total bull ... what could be the reason? How do I figure out what type of club I need :-/. I dont have teh money for getting 'fitted' into a set by a pro or wahtever...

I went to golf town and swung a few irons. Said I had a swing speed of 95-97mph. I have a bad slice it seems. What can I do.
    I think I am going to go for lessons here in the future... But we'll see.

Any ideas on what to look for in a club?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    A bad slice is the result of a bad swing. There is very little that clubs can do to fix that.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Nothing beats a sound swing, but if you are looking for a club (and by club I believe you mean driver) for a temporary fix, I'd be looking for something with 10.5* of loft or higher. Something with a closed face angle or even an off-set club.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    A bad slice is the result of a bad swing. There is very little that clubs can do to fix that.
    You dont have to be so negative!!!
    haha...
    Yeah.. I know I have to work on it...

And yes.. Driver is what my main problem is..

A slice... Is that considered going straight and then 'slicing' to my left (i am LH).. or is a slice from when you actually connect w/ the ball.

Is there a way to correct the latter?

It is obviously do to a open face...

Last year my problem was I would connect and hit it straight and then it would veer 90*...lol.. Now this year, I dont as much have that, though I do connect and dont hit it straight off the tee.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There are all kinds of variations of slice. For a lefty they are:

1. Pull slice. Ball starts right and then goes left.
    2. Push slice. Ball starts left and goes more left.
    3. Straight slice. Ball starts straight and then goes left.

Open face angle is a factor in all big slices. The other component is clubhead path. Chances are you are coming over the top with a very open clubface.

The best way to fix these is with fundamentals.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Is there some tools out there that some people can request that will help w/ the swing? A trainer of some sort.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Why yes. The main tool you want to be using here is called a CPGA pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    Is there some tools out there that some people can request that will help w/ the swing? A trainer of some sort.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

unfortunately they are too expensive to go as many times i will need too! haha

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

thanks for that!

I am also looking at videojug. Guy there is really good at explaining. For others like me having the problem slicing. Go to this site. Very good instruction.

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-ho...traight-drives
    There is lots on every aspect

3 Wood kilntyme is on a distinguished road kilntyme's Avatar
    I had a heck of a slice going a few years back and resorted to off set irons they helped but only temporaryily. The main reason I sliced was my swing was to hard and to armsy. So if my timeing was on my swing was good.See if you can slow down your swing a bit and work at good crisp contact at the exact spot where you set up. A drill I do is in front of a mirror with slightly bent knees and back hang your forward arm down at mid stance bring the other arm back (like a swing) and follow thru to slap the hand of the forward hand.Keep an eye on your hips and shoulders to see if they are lined up down the target line.
    Not to come off like I have the perfect swing or a know it all...but I worked like a mad man on mine and feel it payed off.
    In the end I was abe to get rid of the off set stuff that only band aids a problen with your swing. Spending a few bucks on lessons is well worth it especially if you are new to the game.
    Hope this was of some help and good luck to you.
    Last edited by kilntyme; 04-13-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mark K

Lob Wedge Towers is on a distinguished road
    So far the best pointer I received for my wonky drive was to make sure I had the ball in the right part of my stance, and not to try and peel the cover off the ball. It's amazing how much difference even an inch or two forward or back can make.

Thread Information