100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge BurnerF55 is on a distinguished road

'The plane truth' - Jim Hardy

I was wondering if anyone else has read this book.

I just finished and took some nice advice from it, but I'd like some opinions or reviews.

Thanks.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I read it and it is pretty good but difficult sometimes to apply. I am still confused?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I found that the one plane swing helped my shoulder turns on my driver and long irons. at first it messed up my short game(simulator approach shots), but I seem to have it back on track.

Can't wait to hit up the course.
    [URL="http://www.jasonphillips.ca"][/URL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnerF55 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has read this book.

I just finished and took some nice advice from it, but I'd like some opinions or reviews.

Thanks.
    If you watched the golf on the weekend you will have noticed that Jason Gore, Pat Perez, and particularly Sean O'Hair have flattened their golf swings and have become better ball strikers overall. Add Tiger and Ernie and many others to that list and there is no doubt that when the left arm is aligned with the shoulders at the top of the back swing ("One" plane swing) that there no need for compensation moves on the downswing to correct the "fault" of a swing that is too upright. Mere mortals, like all of us here, would be better ball strikers, if we stayed away from the upright type of golf swings.

Personally, I did not like much of the instruction in the book or the follow up book, but the concept is bang on.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Am I correct that most players used to have a 2 plane swing and had to re-route the club into the 'slot' on the downswing? e.g. would Furyk be an example of a severe 2 plane swing, and someone like Lucas Glover would be an example of a very 'flat' swing? (to my eye anyway)
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Putter EnriqueLobos is on a distinguished road

Plane Truth on DVD

If you had trouble with the book, the DVDs might help. I thought the content was pretty great. Includes an exhaustive and extremely detailed view of both swing types, and advice on the requirements for adopting either one or the other. Also includes drills and exercises for each swing type. Enjoy.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    To me there is no such thing as a 1 or 2 plane swing. You are either in good position at the top or your not. What most people think as a two plane swing is nothing more than an independent of the body arm rise, which Hogan referred to as a "false backswing", some call it "overswing", some call it "arm drift", now Hardy calls it a two plane swing. But, its all the same thing, the arms rising steeply instead of on the proper plane. Hardy's setup allows people to better engage their body to turn the arms back and up and thus they are more on plane and tend to make better swings. Most people would benefit from a shorter and flatter swing if they struggle with slices or pulls on occasion.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Actually I think Hardy's book was geared to the majority of golfers who either swing up as you mentioned or were flatter, he simply categorised what most golfers naturally do and if you follow his writings you could follow some techniques without drastically changing your natural swing tendancies. I think it was a very well conceived book that has a lot of merit when looked at from that point of view.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sand Wedge SnakeEye is on a distinguished road

Youtube

Stumbled on to Jeff Ritter, he was a student of Jim Hardy ( now out on his own) catch his swing on You tube-very nice one plane move. Going to try & build one just like it he said hopefully.

Pitching Wedge explore is on a distinguished road explore's Avatar
    Hi does anybody have a copy of plane truth for sale with cd

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    I have come to the conclusion that any "swing plane" based instruction is bad golf instruction. People watch videos and see certain positions in pro swings and then attempt to get students to swing to those positions which requires needless manipulations. Also, I think most instructors who love swing plane fail to realize that what they see as swing plane is an illusion. That is, it is the rising and falling of the arms married to the body turn which creates the swing plane. Thus, if we attempt to swing "on plane" we will be inside at the bottom and over the top at the top of the swing. To me it is far better to work on a fluid backswing from a good setup that sets the club early and then reaches the top with a good body turn. Where that puts you depends on your body type and flexibility, but you have to play with what you have, not what someone else may have. No one swings on one plane in the down swing. Even Moe Norman, one of the flattest swingers ever, clearly swings straight down in his downswing, not out on any presumed plane.

I sort of agree with bobcat.

I read both of the swing plane books and I modelled my swing after the one-plane system. It helped my swing and fundamentals, but since that time I have created a swing that works well with me. Most of the one plane fundamentals are there, but I don't focus on it much anymore.

The books helped me but if I went back to them now, it would hurt me.

I watch alot of Trevor Immelman to get the swing down and use my own tempo. Seems to work for me. The biggest swing improvements came from increasing flexibility and working out my core, not just situps.
    [URL="http://www.jasonphillips.ca"][/URL]

Thread Information