CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Question Parralllel VS Tapered Shafts?

dbleber:
    What are the main advantages/differences between Parrallel and tapered shafts. I know the physical size of the tips are different but is there anything else? Also, how do you know which one to use or can both be installed on all culbs?
    Thanks to all the clubmakers on this forum for all the great info on my threads lately!
    Denny

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    What are the main advantages/differences between Parrallel and tapered shafts. I know the physical size of the tips are different but is there anything else? Also, how do you know which one to use or can both be installed on all culbs?
    Thanks to all the clubmakers on this forum for all the great info on my threads lately!
    Denny
    I am sure that there are, but I cannot see any advantage in using tapered tip shafts. However, with a parallel tip shaft it is possible to frequency the shaft to almost any stiffness you want.

A parallel tip shaft will not fit into a tapered hosel, therefore the heads have to be drilled out to accomodate the former. A 5 minute job for a set of 8 irons.

If a golfer wants all of their shafts the same frequency, or a "softer" than normal slope, how does one do this with tapered shafts? With parallels, it's easy.

Some Callaway irons have tapered hosels, parallel shafts that have 3 slits cut in them so that the tip folds inward to fit into the tapered hosel. And the hosels are thru bore. Rehafted a set of these with parallel shafts, frequency matched and spined, and it took 5 1/4 hours to do 8 clubs. Yuck!!

The interesting thing is that a large number of OEM's still use tapered shafts. Maybe if a shaft breaks it forces the golfer to have it repaired by the manufacturing company, at a premium price, of course.

Thread Information