CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Iron recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a good quality set of irons this year, and want to make sure i get something that's right for me. I don't want to spend a fortune (will be buying used, probably from this forum) and would like to find something that will last a few years. I currently shoot in the mid 90-s, so I was thinking that a blade would be inappropriate, however, i would like something that will suit my game as it improves.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Jon

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I'm looking to purchase a good quality set of irons this year, and want to make sure i get something that's right for me. I don't want to spend a fortune (will be buying used, probably from this forum) and would like to find something that will last a few years. I currently shoot in the mid 90-s, so I was thinking that a blade would be inappropriate, however, i would like something that will suit my game as it improves.

Thanks, Jon
    Jon,

I can only speak from personal experience, but when I was shooting in that range, and still do today on occasion, I picked up a set of the Hogan Apex Plus irons. There are a few people in the forum here that use them. They aren't overly forgiving, but are better than blades, and as you improve, they will get better for you.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    It's always hard to recommend an iron set for someone, but I'll give it a shot. I would think for someone in your handicap range something like the Callaway X-12, 14 or 16 Pro Series would be a nice set. They have much less offset than the regular Callys and would be forgiving for now and still a great set as you get better. The reduced offset also makes for an easier transition to blades down the road should you so desire.
    Other than that perhaps one of the current combo sets that transition from cavities in the long irons to blades in the short irons would be your cup of tea. I am not nuts about the Nike Combos, but some of the other combo sets look pretty nice.
    There are some pretty good deals in the Swap Shop here (and admittedly some not so good) and Chuck Brown's usually has some great deals on used stuff, particularly if you are looking at some of the lesser known brands.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Thanks, Jon
    These are still available. Let me know if you'd like to try them.
    http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/show...hlight=wilsons
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

If you are a lefty, you didn't mention it, Pro Golf has a set of the Hogan Apex Plus for around 350.00
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    If you are a lefty, you didn't mention it, Pro Golf has a set of the Hogan Apex Plus for around 350.00
    I was in the other day, and did see those, but unfortunately, I'm right handed.

Andru
    I was in the other day, and did see those, but unfortunately, I'm right handed.
    I love my Hogan Apex Plus' They're the sweetest clubs I 've ever owned. I've had them for more than a year. now. For me. That's a record. I tried replacing them over the winter. I even tried a couple of ( gulp Cavity Backs ), but I just couldn't find a set I liked.

Good luck. Try ebay I've seen a few go by over the last few months.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Thanks, Jon
    While many may feel that successful iron play comes from names like Titleist, Hogan, Callaway and Mizuno, the reality is that it comes from names like Rifle, True Temper, Mercury and Apollo.

With the latter properly assembled in your clubs, a set of $10 each heads will perform better.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Tommy Armour 845s

Jon, the set of Tommy Armour 845s I have just listed on this site might be just what you're looking for. A very good choice for someone looking for something that will grow with their game. Don't let the "oversize" name fool you - these are only oversize by Tommy Armour standards. They're forgiving, but they're not like wide-sole, huge head Top Flites. They just couldn't beat out my Adams GT's, and I don't need an extra set laying around.

This particular set used to belong to someone else on this forum called nice-lag - if you send him a PM I'm sure he can tell you more about them.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Dynacraft PC3 vs Tommy Armour 845 OS

After having a look at these two types of clubs, i really don't know which ones are the better clubs. Any advice/comments would be great

Are the Dynacrafts assembled?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Are the Dynacrafts assembled?
    dbleber:
    Yes, they were built by professional and certified club maker.
    Denny

Denny.
    He did not say he was going to buy yours. The reason why I asked the question was if you can buy non assembled clubs you have more options than when buying them assembled.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Denny.
    He did not say he was going to buy yours. The reason why I asked the question was if you can buy non assembled clubs you have more options than when buying them assembled.
    His are the ones that I am considering.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Denny.
    dbleber:
    That's fine, I didn't even think about that. I saw the post and knew that I could answer it more accurately. Also, I knew he was talking about mine because I have been emailing with him a number of times today.
    Denny

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Those used to be mine :> they were sweet irons, shouldn't have gotten rid of them.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    While many may feel that successful iron play comes from names like Titleist, Hogan, Callaway and Mizuno, the reality is that it comes from names like Rifle, True Temper, Mercury and Apollo.

With the latter properly assembled in your clubs, a set of $10 each heads will perform better.
    While some believe the only way to get custom fitting is with knock offs. The reality is you can get OEM clubs custom fitted with a variety of shaft and grip combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    While some believe the only way to get custom fitting is with knock offs. The reality is you can get OEM clubs custom fitted with a variety of shaft and grip combinations.
    While some believe that all component heads are knockoffs, the reality is that while some are, there are many that are every bit as good and in some cases better than what you pay oodles of extra cash for at the major retailers.

I agree that is important that when you put the club down behind the ball, it must be easy to line up, and it is also important that the weight distribution between heads and loft angles be consistently different. However, if you think that you get this from a $1000 set of OEM's every time, you are wrong.

The so called "custom fitting" programmes that the OEM's offer are really quite amusing. Perhaps some result in a good fit, but unfortunately, many do not.

If any of these OEM programmes include the following, you are getting a good fit.

Do the OEM's provide you with a flex appropriate to your swing speed, and I am not talking "Regular" versus "Stiff?"

Does the shaft selection include your rate of acceleration from the top of the backswing? It should be considered.

Is the trajectory of your shot pattern considered when selecting a shaft?

Are all the shafts spined before assembly?

Are the shafts frequency matched on a frequency analyzer? Dynamic Golds are not frequency matched.

Do you have the option of softening the frequency slope as you move towards the short irons? A large number of PGA Tour professionals are now doing this.

Are you measured to determine the proper length of shafts for the length of your arms?

Are you measured for grip size?

Are you given the option of having the clubs' swingweight increased of decreased, if you wish?

Does the retailer check the lies of the irons dynamically and make any adjustments free of charge?

Do you have the option of having your clubs MOI matched, or centripetal force matched, or total weight matched, or balance point matched? All or some of these will result in a better playing club.

The answers to the above will probably include a couple of "Yes's", but mostly "No's." For a $1000 retail set of forged irons, they should all be "Yes." A good club fitter will do all of the above for about 2/3's of the price.

So why don't golfers pay less for a better fitted club? Many are unaware of the options available. Many feel that the price is prohibitive. Many feel that if it is a Titleist, Ping, Hogan, etc., that it is superior. Many like the status or snob appeal of playing an OEM.

I respect people's right to play whatever they want, however, I obviously object to inaccurate, misleading statements like this: While some believe the only way to get custom fitting is with knock offs.

Quote Originally Posted by wopstergolf
    Those used to be mine :> they were sweet irons, shouldn't have gotten rid of them.
    Ahh, the pains of hindsight

That's why Proforged and a few others are such club pigs, hahahahaha. They can't can't bear to part with things.
    Colby

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    "That's why Proforged and a few others are such club pigs, hahahahaha. They can't can't bear to part with things." COLBY

Truer words have never been spoken... I've picked my A set for the year and still can't bring myself to put the other stuff up for sale....

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    "That's why Proforged and a few others are such club pigs, hahahahaha. They can't can't bear to part with things." COLBY

Truer words have never been spoken... I've picked my A set for the year and still can't bring myself to put the other stuff up for sale....
    'Tis a terrible disease we endure!
    Colby

While some believe that all component heads are knockoffs, the reality is that while some are, there are many that are every bit as good and in some cases better than what you pay oodles of extra cash for at the major retailers.

I agree that is important that when you put the club down behind the ball, it must be easy to line up, and it is also important that the weight distribution between heads and loft angles be consistently different. However, if you think that you get this from a $1000 set of OEM's every time, you are wrong.

The so called "custom fitting" programmes that the OEM's offer are really quite amusing. Perhaps some result in a good fit, but unfortunately, many do not.

If any of these OEM programmes include the following, you are getting a good fit.

Do the OEM's provide you with a flex appropriate to your swing speed, and I am not talking "Regular" versus "Stiff?"

Does the shaft selection include your rate of acceleration from the top of the backswing? It should be considered.

Is the trajectory of your shot pattern considered when selecting a shaft?

Are all the shafts spined before assembly?

Are the shafts frequency matched on a frequency analyzer? Dynamic Golds are not frequency matched.

Do you have the option of softening the frequency slope as you move towards the short irons? A large number of PGA Tour professionals are now doing this.

Are you measured to determine the proper length of shafts for the length of your arms?

Are you measured for grip size?

Are you given the option of having the clubs' swingweight increased of decreased, if you wish?

Does the retailer check the lies of the irons dynamically and make any adjustments free of charge?

Do you have the option of having your clubs MOI matched, or centripetal force matched, or total weight matched, or balance point matched? All or some of these will result in a better playing club.

The answers to the above will probably include a couple of "Yes's", but mostly "No's." For a $1000 retail set of forged irons, they should all be "Yes." A good club fitter will do all of the above for about 2/3's of the price.

So why don't golfers pay less for a better fitted club? Many are unaware of the options available. Many feel that the price is prohibitive. Many feel that if it is a Titleist, Ping, Hogan, etc., that it is superior. Many like the status or snob appeal of playing an OEM.

I respect people's right to play whatever they want, however, I obviously object to inaccurate, misleading statements like this: While some believe the only way to get custom fitting is with knock offs.
    Truly a masterpiece BC MIST. Tell them about the difference in hosel depth from one club to the next.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Truly a masterpiece BC MIST. Tell them about the difference in hosel depth from one club to the next.
    But, Andre, they don't want to hear that the 6 iron is stiffer than the 7, or one hosel is 1" deep while the next is 1 1/8" deep, or, that the hosel bore was not drilled in the center of the hosel(Titleist and Hogan blades) or that the S-90 was really a soft "L" flex, or that the tips of the irons were not "sanded' in preparation for installation(Wilson's). I wonder why the heads were coming loose. And so on.

Mythology is alive and well. In the same way the some golfers actually think that power in a golf swing comes from the body, or that Tiger is playing poorly because he gets the club "STUCK" behind him, or that the stock shafts in $500 drivers are superior, some actually believe that "custom fit" is synonymous with knockoffs. Having said that, I will play better with a set or knockoffs with shafts custom fit to my swing, setup..., than I will with any set from the $1,000,000 wall of clubs at Golftown.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    But, Andre, they don't want to hear that the 6 iron is stiffer than the 7, or one hosel is 1" deep while the next is 1 1/8" deep, or, that the hosel bore was not drilled in the center of the hosel(Titleist and Hogan blades) or that the S-90 was really a soft "L" flex, or that the tips of the irons were not "sanded' in preparation for installation(Wilson's). I wonder why the heads were coming loose. And so on.

Mythology is alive and well. In the same way the some golfers actually think that power in a golf swing comes from the body, or that Tiger is playing poorly because he gets the club "STUCK" behind him, or that the stock shafts in $500 drivers are superior, some actually believe that "custom fit" is synonymous with knockoffs. Having said that, I will play better with a set or knockoffs with shafts custom fit to my swing, setup..., than I will with any set from the $1,000,000 wall of clubs at Golftown.
    Man, I really want a $$$ game with you and your superior clubs...

sensfan63.
    Not sure you want to do this . I believe the man shot 68(maybe less)a couple of times and still holds a course record.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    sensfan63.
    Not sure you want to do this . I believe the man shot 68(maybe less)a couple of times and still holds a course record.
    Is there a "smilie" that I should insert for the scared look??

Kidding...but I still want that game.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    Man, I really want a $$$ game with you and your superior clubs...
    If you put the sarcasm and ego aside for a second, just consider the basic points.

1. Frequently, many OEM's are poorly assembled. This observation is made based on disassembling several sets, and actually seeing the weaknesses and sometimes being able to measure them(frequency).

2. Going to someone who knows what they are doing to have shafts fit to the way you swing/play/setup, has to be better than choosing a club for its aesthetic appeal or its status or because Tiger plays them.

3. Why would anyone pay $1000 for an average fit or non-fitted set of clubs when you could pay $600 for a better fit set? Many golfers have money to burn and don't care about the fit, and that's fine. My simple mind says get the best fit for the least amount of $ spent.

A pefectly fit set of clubs will not make anyone a superior player, however, they will increase the probability of better shots and more importantly, give them confidence in their equipment if they see the time and care that someone puts into the assembly. Experience has obviously proven this to be correct. Every single PGA Tour pro has been fitted. None of them play off the rack clubs.

BTW: Before you decide what the bet will be, let's match cards from your last game. Yesterday I made no putts, had 17 pars and an eagle for 70. How much money do I owe you?

cheap labor?

I don't always agree with Lazzal but everyone should keep this in mind:
    Quote:
    http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/m.../tm.htm#628025

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to keep in mind most OEM's are manufactured by unskilled cheap labor in countries other than the USA---Also, shafts are purchased by low bid for thousands per order, that English words are put on the shaft by non English speaking workers---Another thing, assembly of the components are cut to length and glued, no spine or NBP orientation considered---One labor station will build 5 iron all day and throw them into the 5 iron container, another will do 6 irons, another 7 irons, etc--When sets are made up a club will be selected from each container [could be 10 different containers of finished clubs]--Any wonder the spec's are off a bit--

Quote.
    Mahatma Gandhi

9 Iron Christian is on a distinguished road
    If you put the sarcasm and ego aside for a second, just consider the basic points.

1. Frequently, many OEM's are poorly assembled. This observation is made based on disassembling several sets, and actually seeing the weaknesses and sometimes being able to measure them(frequency).

2. Going to someone who knows what they are doing to have shafts fit to the way you swing/play/setup, has to be better than choosing a club for its aesthetic appeal or its status or because Tiger plays them.

3. Why would anyone pay $1000 for an average fit or non-fitted set of clubs when you could pay $600 for a better fit set? Many golfers have money to burn and don't care about the fit, and that's fine. My simple mind says get the best fit for the least amount of $ spent.

A pefectly fit set of clubs will not make anyone a superior player, however, they will increase the probability of better shots and more importantly, give them confidence in their equipment if they see the time and care that someone puts into the assembly. Experience has obviously proven this to be correct. Every single PGA Tour pro has been fitted. None of them play off the rack clubs.

BTW: Before you decide what the bet will be, let's match cards from your last game. Yesterday I made no putts, had 17 pars and an eagle for 70. How much money do I owe you?
    sensfan63, having played with BC MIST on a regular basis for the past two years, you may want to temper your enthusiasm a little, this is a senior who shot 64 last year and is likely one of the most consistent golfers that I have seen in this area.

I will also vouch for the comments made regarding OEM clubs. BC MIST redid my Hogan blades and documented the findings e.g. several bores not in middle of hosels, shafts definitely not properly frequency matched etc... They are now perfect and I have noticed a definite improvement in shot dispersion, trajectory etc... and I was already a pretty low handicap (0). This season, I got rid of some OEM woods (Titleist) and replaced them with frequency matched, spinned, flo'd etc.. SMT products. The difference is night and day. The great shots are still great but the bad shots often turn out pretty good. At least I know for certain that when I hit a bad shot, it is NEVER the equipment's fault.

BTW, a bunch of us are chasing BC MIST as he was our club champion last year. Your only hope is if you pick out a very long track (7,000 yds+) and you are a long ball hitter, have great short game and putt the lights out. If not, 9 times out of 10, my $$$ is on BC MIST. Good luck because I think you will need it.

I don't always agree with Lazzal but everyone should keep this in mind:
    Quote:
    http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/m.../tm.htm#628025.
    Lazzal's right about the above and McCurbin's comments are revealing, too. However, I wonder if L still believes that the NBP and S1 of a steel shaft are 180* apart.

While I may only make 20 to 25 sets of clubs a year, I will continue in the quest to try to educate anyone interested in listening, the advantages of personally fitted clubs and the disadvantages of off the rack clubs. I accept the fact that there are scores of golfers who don't want to listen or find out the truth and that is fine.

I take pride in my work and know that the clubs that leave my place suit the golfer and will perform as well as or better than anything purchased in a retail store. For the most part the OEM's produce very good heads, however, it is the shaft assembly that needs a huge increase in quality control, in order for golfers to get what they pay for. Does it not make sense for you to get the best fit if you are going to shell out your hard earned money?

Andre: Thanks for your help and support.

Thread Information