CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Cheaper ProV1 X's????

Bought some ProV1 X's at the 19th Tee today for $59.95.

When I got home I remembered that Golftown indicated that they would beat any other retailer's price by 5%.

So, does that mean that Golftown would sell them to us for $56.95 instead of $63.95?

Would be an interesting test of their 5% policy. Perhaps this 5% applies only to clubs, bags, shoes?

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Bought some ProV1 X's at the 19th Tee today for $59.95.

When I got home I remembered that Golftown indicated that they would beat any other retailer's price by 5%.

So, does that mean that Golftown would sell them to us for $56.95 instead of $63.95?

Would be an interesting test of their 5% policy. Perhaps this 5% applies only to clubs, bags, shoes?
    Damn, I buy like 5 12-packs of balls for that much... I guess you're at the point where you don't lose 2-3 balls per round....LOL

Would be a good price check for sure!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Lob Wedge hollywood is on a distinguished road
    As of two weekends ago, Chuck's had them on sale for about $56. Not sure if they are still this price, but it did strike me as odd that Golftown was $7 more expensive at the time.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Man, golf balls are WAY too expensive.....

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Damn, I buy like 5 12-packs of balls for that much... I guess you're at the point where you don't lose 2-3 balls per round....LOL
    Would be a good price check for sure!
    Dan
    Agree that the ProV1 x's are expensive, however, they go almost as far as a distance ball, fly on a preferred flatter trajectory, stop on a dime and are extremely durable. Played my first 17 rounds last year with only three balls, a combination of playing on a course with forgiving fairways, better than average ball striking, and just wanting to see how many rounds I could play before the ball became less than playable.

I am sure that there are other balls that perform comparably, and have a cheaper price, however, with the occasional OVGA-CPGA gift certificate helping to offset the high cost, playing them is justified.

Before the ProV1's, I enjoyed the Hogan Apex balls as they were the best spinning balls that I had ever played. But, a ball would last about 4 holes before it was scuffed so badly that it was almost unplayable. I wonder if the Apex has a better cover now, or if the new Hogan Hawk is an improved version of the Apex.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Wasn't saying anything other than "wow", I can't wait until I could benefit from (and afford to play with) balls that high-tech. Since I still lose a couple of balls almost every round (I don't spend more than 30 seconds looking), I buy crappy Wilson Jack or Dunlop Black Ti. 18 balls for $20.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Although the Pro V balls are being played on tour the fact remains that most of us would benefit from playing another brand of balls such as the Snake Eyes extra distance,Nike power distance super far, Pinnacle exception,Titleist HVC Soft distance and the maxfli Noodle. More later.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Although the Pro V balls are being played on tour the fact remains that most of us would benefit from playing another brand of balls such as the Snake Eyes extra distance,Nike power distance super far, Pinnacle exception,Titleist HVC Soft distance and the maxfli Noodle. More later.
    Luv da Noodle, although I scuff them with the wedges, especally out of the sand. But I am only paying $1.00 a ball or so
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Luv da Noodle, although I scuff them with the wedges, especally out of the sand. But I am only paying $1.00 a ball or so
    Done that too but not sure I can blame the ball. Must be Hanifi's fault.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Done that too but not sure I can blame the ball. Must be Hanifi's fault.
    hahahahahahahaha
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Putter bobby is on a distinguished road
    I'm pretty sure that all the prov1 balls in the area are around $59 right now. I just did some research. Chucks and Golftown were up and down and I think they and the 19th tee have settled on $59. This was on the morning of the 16th.

Watching players who use balls like the ones listed above confirms to me that they are a detriment, not a benefit, to scoring. Sure, they fly a little farther, however, regardless of how far anyone hits the ball, your scoring is determined by what you do from inside 100 yards. Playing a ball that spins allows the golfer to control better, the accuracy of the delicate pitches and chips from around the greens. Knowing the ball is going to stop allows the golfer to be more aggressive on the 40 to 60 yard scoring pitches, unlike the hard ball that would just keep on running and running.

Play a distance ball to greens that run 10 to 12 on the Stimpmeter and watch your scores soar. This time of the year, though, where the greens are likely to be still very spongy, the distance balls won't hurt very much, but overall, they are a curse to scoring.

Are there any balls out there that fly as far as a distance ball, and stop like the ProV1's?

BC Mist. See Golfsmith Clubmaker's magazine March 2004 edition page 18. The testing was done using Iron Byron. They have compiled data on drivers, 5 irons and 8 irons at different swing speeds. Here is a brief synopsis.

8 iron data at 80mph

Titleist: 8130.92 rpms
    Pinnacle :7857 rpms
    Snake Eyes :7684 rpms
    Nike: 8173.58 rpms
    Maxfli: 8277 rpms

In other words. Those balls have been made to increase distance off the tee and increase backspin within close range. How so? Engineeering I guess .The fact remains: the top 2 selling balls on the market are the prov's and the noodle is a distant third.The ball models that are the most widely marketed also happen to be products that are playeded by tournament professionals.But the reality is these balls are not beneficial for recreational players.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 04-16-2004 at 08:47 AM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Are there any balls out there that fly as far as a distance ball, and stop like the ProV1's?
    The problem is for a high handicapper, a spin sensitive ball is a killer: if you slice it, its gone...

So while inside 100 yards, its more important, its harder on the bank account and score if you aren't a consistent striker.

Big_duck
    Sure, they fly a little farther,
    If you hit into the bush then a long flying ball is just going to go further into the bush ... just ask me :reallymad

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I haven't played a Pro V1X, but compared to the old ProV1s the TopFlite XL3000's SuperSpins spin like crazy. Just as much if not more. They are also very durable. I actually switched to the SuperFeels because I was getting too much spin with the SS. The SFs are actually very nice. Lee Trevino speaks the truth.

You can pick up a 15 pack of XL3000s for $18.

The XL3000s are being replaced by the Infinity's. Haven't tried them yet but I expect they will be about the same.

6 Iron Keithsguy is on a distinguished road Keithsguy's Avatar

Ball Recommendation

What do you guys recommend for a 'balanced' ball? Something that has a nice touch within 100yd but I am a long ball striker and can pull or push the ball at times. So I guess I am looking for something with some spin but not a lot for the occasional one that goes astray off the tee.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithsguy
    What do you guys recommend for a 'balanced' ball? Something that has a nice touch within 100yd but I am a long ball striker and can pull or push the ball at times. So I guess I am looking for something with some spin but not a lot for the occasional one that goes astray off the tee.
    Strata Ace.... nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    Strata Ace.... nuff said.
    Who's this "nuff" guy

I get good results inside 100 from the Noodle, I tried the Pro-Vs, but my swing speed was too slow.
    Colby

Gap Wedge pwr_fade is on a distinguished road

Golf ball review site 2003

http://www.equip2golf.com/tests/golf_ball_report.html

check out this site, good reviews on golf balls. It doesn't have all the balls reviewed but will give you a good ideal how some of the mid to high end balls stack up to one another.

Z Balata

Incredible deal at canadian Tire this week. Z balata for $9.99.
    Z will be going right away.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information