100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar

How did you fix it thread?

Starting up a little thread that could/will help beginners and maybe even the more skilled learn tricks on how to do certain things.

What I am trying to start here is a thread discussing what you personally think is the hardest thing to master in golf. This could be the grip, posture, the swing, chipping, putting, etc etc. Or if you just recently figured something out, post it for others to view and learn maybe a excercise you did, how long it took you to teach yourself it. How did you figure out this 'new' way of teaching.... I am sure you get the idea by now.

Lets here it!
    (This is a learning thread for myself too, see how far I have come in one year. hehe)

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Here I thought this was going to be a hot topic and take right off .

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I would say the hardest part is consistency for me. I truly feel that every swing I make feels completely different. One swing will be fat, the next is pure, the next is skulled! I know its the start of the season so it will take time to get to my normal good ball striking, but its still aggravating!!

I managed to pretty much lose my slice over the winter Consistency is a major thing for me too. Been working on my grip though, finding that it is a major factor for me.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Gotta be the casting of my shoulder for me... Greg Foley set me on the right path with a couple of lessons and drills that I'm sure I'll wish I'd done more of over the winter when I golf this Saturday

The main drill was to make half swings, ensuring the club head was pointed vertically when perpendicular to the ground, under a dowel (or similar) positioned just above the ball, to simultaneously promote an inside out club path, and a proper release.
    Wannabe Golf

Sand Wedge paperclip is on a distinguished road
    Patience....lots of it. And stop trying to do the impossible (aka hero shot), it's unbelievable how long it took me to learn that. Take the 1-stroke lump and move on. I think how you approach the game can be more important than how you hit the ball.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Stop thinking so much. Leave the brain work for the range. Learn to trust your instincts. The vast majority of the time, the first club you reach for is the right one for the shot at hand.

Once I'm out on the course I try to keep things as simple as possible. Set up... One, maybe two simple, very general swing keys... and then go. I always try to remember the line from the old En Vogue song, "Free your mind, and the rest will follow..."

Don't get static over the ball. The longer you stand there motionless, the tighter you get. Waggle, move your toes, keep fluid. Step away from the ball if you have to. Get set, a short pause, then go.

And finally, learn to live with the result, no matter what it is.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Stop thinking so much. Leave the brain work for the range. Learn to trust your instincts. The vast majority of the time, the first club you reach for is the right one for the shot at hand.

Once I'm out on the course I try to keep things as simple as possible. Set up... One, maybe two simple, very general swing keys... and then go. I always try to remember the line from the old En Vogue song, "Free your mind, and the rest will follow..."

Don't get static over the ball. The longer you stand there motionless, the tighter you get. Waggle, move your toes, keep fluid. Step away from the ball if you have to. Get set, a short pause, then go.

This will be my biggest KEY this year..........Sound good Bob??

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    This will be my biggest KEY this year..........Sound good Bob??
    It ain't gonna happen.... Hell, that would mean you would finish the round about 2 hours earlier (but still get home at the same time)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

This is a major thing for me as well. I believe when it comes to playing a game I get more... dont want to say nervous, but I tend to over-think the shot and go over too much in my mind.

When i am out on the driving range, I go over a few things, stand up and usually hit fairly well. Come game time at a course, I seem to duff more shots :-/

Hopefully this will change this year!

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Normally, becoming static over your ball is a result of not being sure you've either selected the correct club for the shot you want to hit or you're not sure you'll be able to pull off the shot you've selected. That's a very good time to either start the process over (if time allows), or just back away, clear your head, step in, get set and let it happen. As LW said, once you've made your swing it's now time to live with whatever happens. As my father used to tell me, "this game ain't easy". Don't make it more difficult by thinking too much over your shot. It only creates tension and will almost certainly result in a less than ideal outcome.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    i played a few rounds with a pro and he immediately said, if you were on a mini-tour, you have 15 seconds over the ball or you will be penalized for slow play, eversince, ive grooved a routine that once i commit, there is on stalling over the shot, everything is pre-programmed or clear-keyed.

15 seconds after you set up is quite a bit of time (I think anyway). I dont (I dont think anyway :-/) I go static for that long. But I realize that I stand there and think it through too much.

Putter golfmonkey is on a distinguished road

Flat left wrist

As the title says..... there is a great video on this on youtube by dunnigan which is crystal clear on FLW its under ' pgampro ' This weekend i nailed my drivers ... finding it harder to go down and get proper impact with a FLW at balls on the ground though....

Lynne Blake also refers on one of his vid's to the FLW as ' your bullet proof vest for the links....
    Last edited by golfmonkey; 05-01-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: ERROR

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Commit

The big thing for me is to commit. Before stepping up to the ball I try to make sure I am confident about the club/shot I am about to hit. It helps to walk and carry the bag as it gives you more time to make this decision as you walk up to your ball. The confidence and committment go hand in hand. (And of course is often misplaced)

Thread Information