100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par il-terrifico is on a distinguished road

Eagle Creek - Poison Oak/Ivy

Let me start by saying that I love Eagle Creek and go out there about 4x a year with a buddy who is in CL.

But every year for the last 3 or 4, I have come back from the course to find I have been hit by either poison oak or ivy, which comes in a few days after the visit. This with only 2 or 3 shots off the beaten path (fairway + rough) per round.

Anybody else find they get hit there with the oak/ivy a lot? I would like to bring it up with management, but would like to confirm that it is not just a case of me being very unlucky or negligent.

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    well i play there about 10-15 times a year, never had it, i know it is there in the woods, but you would have to be in the woods to get affected.

possibly you are unlucky, or your 2-3 shots off the beaten path are quite off, or you have a different idea of beaten path?

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    It exists all over this region, and yes Eagle Creek has lots of it, and I doubt complaining is going to do any good.

I always tell people to leave their ball and hit another, but they almost always head right into the woods.

Myself, I play there almost every weekend, and I never get it (and I pretty much get the rash just looking at the stuff). I will just leave the ball and play another, much better than the other result.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    What would management do about it? Find every Poison Ivy / Oak plant on the property and pull them?

Come on, do we have to complain about everything in life? It's a golf course, not a sterile clean room to build microchips in.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    They could stake out any known areas of growth with a warning.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    What would management do about it? Find every Poison Ivy / Oak plant on the property and pull them?

Come on, do we have to complain about everything in life? It's a golf course, not a sterile clean room to build microchips in.
    How about Round-up?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    It's not a hard plant to identify. When I play there, I just don't go into areas where I can see it. Eagle Creek isn't the only course with poison ivy in the woods either.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    They could stake out any known areas of growth with a warning.
    About all they could do is post a warning in the clubhouse, but for most of us we have common sense and know what to look for.

And pretty much every golf course has this, if you don't think they do then look harder.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Most of the people I know who get hit with poison oak/ivy on the golf course are playing 3 piece premium balls.
    Stick to cheap Top-Flites and you'll be fine
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Most of the people I know who get hit with poison oak/ivy on the golf course are playing 3 piece premium balls.
    Stick to cheap Top-Flites and you'll be fine
    OK, I have to admit, that one made me chuckle

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Follow this easy advice and you can likely venture in to the poison ivy & not suffer the consequences.

When you get home from your round, put all the clothes you were wearing into the washing machine, and take a hot shower, and clean your shoes as well as you can.

I also play with a guy occasionally who carries a spray bottle with diluted peroxide, which he uses to spray himself with if he has to venture into the woods.

I am very succeptible to poison ivy also (as you might have guessed) but if you can get the oil off your skin & clothes within a few hours of contact, you should not get the rash.
    Andrew

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You guys are making me " itch " just reading this thread The Ottawa valley is plaqued with the stuff. It seems to grow anywhere anything else wont. Along cedar lined fairays like Arnprior where there is little earth over the rocky ground. You will usually see it where climbing juniper grows---that's the heavy vine you see in the cedar trees. Everyone says 3 leaves and red stem. Well right now the stems are not red--that comes later. Most of it right now is around 10" high with 3 distinct WAXY leaves---that's poison ivy---stems turn reddish later---by the fall the plants can be 2 feet tall with a stout stalk. As the plant dies in the fall the leaves turn a real yellow colour. Don't try and burn it because the vapour is just as bad as the plant itself.

As for poison oak I dont think there is any around here---I do know it grows up in the Muskokas. Now that is one rash you will remember for the rest of your life- Blisters the size of quarters

Best leave the ball there if your not sure

People have died from a bad case of poison ivy
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Very scary stuff. I avoid it like the plague. Here's a good link;

http://www.poison-ivy.org/
    "Get your smile on!"

Par il-terrifico is on a distinguished road

ivy

If I had to guess, I'd say I got it about 10 yards behind the 16th green, not even in the trees.

Hopped on an exercise machine the next day, and now it is on legs, hips, belly, underarms and face.

If I owned the place, I would send a kid out every weekend to scour for and remove growth where shots have a reasonable possibility of landing, and I'd post some pictures of what to look for.

Just a thought, from a mind clouded by a near sleepless week....

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Poison Ivy cannot "spread" by any other means other than contact with the oils of the plant. (contact Dermatitis). It would not spread by sweating unless you were absolutely covered with the oil. Did you see a Dr.? Maybe not poison Ivy?
    BTW We spray an Herbicide around our place every year for PI and stinging nettles and it consistently returns in the same place
    Last edited by rancherJ; 06-20-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information