100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Talking Re-griping your own clubs

dbleber:

I wanted to know what the people in the business use to regrip clubs. I have always just used 3M double-sided carpet tape and a can of paint thinner. Doesn't seem to high tech, but any suggestions or tips from the pros would be nice!
    Thanks
    Denny

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Carpet tape will do but I'd rather use double sided grip tape made especially for that purpose. Paint thinner,gasoline etc will work as well but if you're doing this in your basement your wife will surely let you know about the smell. Naphta,camping fuel, mineral spirits will do and the smell is not too strong. There is also a water activated tape which is marriage wise the best thing to use although a bit more pricey. For better or for worse.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Carpet tape will do but I'd rather use double sided grip tape made especially for that purpose. Paint thinner,gasoline etc will work as well but if you're doing this in your basement your wife will surely let you know about the smell. Naphta,camping fuel, mineral spirits will do and the smell is not too strong. There is also a water activated tape which is marriage wise the best thing to use although a bit more pricey. For better or for worse.
    dbleber:
    Where do you buy the double sided grip tape?
    Denny

Mahatma Gandhi

water activated

Mahatma Gandhi

case

This one you can only by the case.
    http://www.golftape.com/isf/showprod...jectGroup_ID=7

Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I agree 100% with Andre. I just started regripping this year and have been using the double-sided grip tape from Golfworks and Golfworks grip solvent. If you follow the instructions in the Golfworks catalogue it is really as easy as pie. The toughest part are 1) lining the grip up straight 2) cleaning off the excess goo from the old grip tape and 3) convincing yourself to use enough solvent when putting the new grip on...
    BTW, I don't mean for this to be an ad for Golfworks. You could use the instructions, solvent, grips and tape from any company.
    I would think that double-sided carpet tape and solvent etc. from anywhere would work fine and probably would be a bit cheaper, but being a neophyte I'm more comfortable sticking with products specifically designed and intended for regripping.

Acetone

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    toughest part are 2) cleaning off the excess goo from the old grip tape .
    Use acetone. Available in any hardware store. Use in well ventilated area.
    Mahatma Gandhi

dbleber:
    Thanks this website is great! Have you ordered from them before? Are they easy to deal with and do they charge you taxes twice? I tried to order the tape but they charged me both taxes during checkout and had a side note stating that the taxes would be added on final order and the total be emailed.
    Thanks for the help,
    Denny

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Go ahead and buy the grip tape from golfworks, but just go to canadian tire and buy varsol to use as a solvent, it's the easiest way.

Also, if you have a bench vise, buy a shaft clamp from golfworks, this will make your job soooooooo much easier. I am a professional club builder, and I have had countless people come to me after trying to put their own grips on and just simply screwing them up because they did not know what they were doing.

Here's some final bits of advice:

-Do not use water activated tape. It is way more trouble than it is worth.

- If you are re-gripping using Winn, Golf Pride Whisper, Lamkin Sof-Wrap or the less often used Karakal, make sure you use a lot of varsol and don't stop pushing until the grip is all the way on. If you stop, you won't be getting it the rest of the way on.

-If you can afford it, and not everyone can or feel the need to, buy a gripping gun. If you plan on doing a lot of grips it will be the second most worth it purchase that you can make after the vise clamp.

-The easiest way to get old tape off, if you are using a vise clamp is to simply take an exacto knife with the blade fully extended and just run it down the shaft, provided it is steel. Just barely skim the shaft and the tape will come right off. Acetone works, but it can be very hard on your hands if you get some on them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Just to add to all the good tips above, I find it easier to use the 2" wide roll of tape.

Secondly, varsol works as well as anything, however, buy the "low odour" varsol if you don't want the house to stink.

None of these products are healthy on the hands, particularly the acetone, so while they can sometimes be a bit of a nuissance, wearing some form of rubber gloves is a good idea. I just use surgical gloves. If you get the liquid on your fingers you may find that the area around the nails cracking/spliting on you.

[QUOTE=wopstergolf].
    I am a professional club builder, and I have had countless people come to me after trying to put their own grips on and just simply screwing them up because they did not know what they were doing.
    QUOTE]

Would you mind revealing your identity?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Nope, i'll leave that, but I will say that i didn't direct that at you, or anyone on here, i can just say from experience that not everyone has an idea of what goes into gripping a club. When i first learned i had a lot of trouble with it for a while, and that was with all the proper tools.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, i'm just saying that i have had people come up to me who thought they knew how to do it, and didn't. it is best to ask your pro, or on a forum like this ask people who do know, not just me, but everyone here.

I am not offended at all and did not feel your comments were directed at me. I was just curious about who you were that's all. Amongst the sponsors only one posts on this forum and to me it is a bit sad as most would benefit from their expertise/experience.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Oh I completely agree with that statement. I just want to help out people so that they have a better understanding of how to do their own work. I just work in a small shop, doing both repairs and sales.

Lob Wedge Keating is on a distinguished road
    Use acetone. Available in any hardware store. Use in well ventilated area.
    Wouldn't acetone possibly remove the finish from some graphite shafts?
    I've seen it wipe the anodized finish right off a set of motorcycle forks.

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    Anyone have a "ghetto method" of remvoing grips for re-use if one doesn't have the proper tools? I have a set i'd like to re-use, but i don't want to bother ordering the tool for just that.

Thanks,

rockford35

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    Anyone have a "ghetto method" of remvoing grips for re-use if one doesn't have the proper tools? I have a set i'd like to re-use, but i don't want to bother ordering the tool for just that.

Thanks,

rockford35
    http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/m.../tm.htm#752495
    Mahatma Gandhi

dbleber:
    Andre I went to that site and found in useless! It doesn't answer his question at all. Please correct me if I was looking in the wrong spot.
    Denny

Elvis in the ghetto. This one is even better.

http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/m.../tm.htm#691054
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35

Thanks,

rockford35
    dbleber:
    Great question, maybe some of the clubmakers on here could help us out?
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Andre I went to that site and found in useless! It doesn't answer his question at all. Please correct me if I was looking in the wrong spot.
    Denny
    andrecantin:
    Denny. I think he wants to remove his grips and reuse them. So I thought both threads were appropriate and answer his question. Why would you want to remove grips for reuse you may ask.
    Lengthening or shortening the club or put a new shaft or replace a broken shaft.
    André.
    Mahatma Gandhi

And of course you could buy the following but I believe he does not want to invest $86 and risking shooting himself in the arm accidentally.

http://www.golfworks.com/item_disp.asp?pn=GS6
    Mahatma Gandhi

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    Thanks for the info.

I actually put on a set of grips that i decided weren't my cup of tea. I figured I'd put them on my brother's set, as he's in dire need of some.

Thanks guys.

rockford35

[QUOTE=Keating]Wouldn't acetone possibly remove the finish from some graphite shafts?

First we are talking about the part underneath the grip. So if you do remove a little paint then no problem the grip will cover the finish. Secondly I just tried it along the length of an entire graphite shaft and nothing came off. I guess the coating over the paint takes care of that as well.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 04-20-2004 at 09:54 PM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    I have never changed a grip in my life......at $10-$12 ( and they are put on right) I may never....that being said, I found a site that has some pretty easy to follow instructions.....http://www.swingweight.com/installing_new_grips.htm

I do have a question though.....I have changed my grips to the Lamkin permasoft wraps and went out and bought a TM R580XD and was considering having this grip changed to match the rest.......I have heard that this particular club requires a special grip due to the shape of the top of the shaft........has anyone heard this as well?

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Acetone and Graphite... do not mix

I stay away from acetone on graphite. I have experienced paint damage problems on many occasions (with UST and Graffaloy shafts).
    It is probably cheaper and more effective to use a paint cleaner/solvent if you have some low-odor brand around.
    I use turpentine as a shaft cleaner.
    I use acetone only to prep shafts before epoxy application or to polish ferrules.

Quote Originally Posted by Keating

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Great question, maybe some of the clubmakers on here could help us out?
    Denny
    If the grip is Rubber, Soak the grip in solvent for 15 minutes(varsol will do) and insert a knitting needle between the grip and the shaft to get the solvent to asct as a lubrifiant.
    Do not use solvent with Softies, Winn, TackyMacs and Karakal grips.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Quick question for you Andre,

I am not a clubmaker so bear with me. If acetone is strong enough to remove paint, wouldn't it have a reaction to the graphite (weakening it?) I know that the application of stickers to CSA helmets has been deemed to remove the CSA accreditation as a chemical reaction weakens the material behind.

[QUOTE=Andre Cantin]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keating

First we are talking about the part underneath the grip. So if you do remove a little paint then no problem the grip will cover the finish. Secondly I just tried it along the length of an entire graphite shaft and nothing came off. I guess the coating over the paint takes care of that as well.

Thread Information