100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

Engineering in the golf industry

Hey all,
    I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of engineering tools major golf companies use in order to design golf balls and clubs. I'm an engineering student, and am thinking about going into the golf industry for engineering, and I want to find out what kind of skill sets, knowledge base would go help my chances to get into one of these companies. Thanks

Yun

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

I know nothing about this but...

keep studying bud!

no more studying...

Man... I've had just about as much school I can take. Being poor sucks. Do you know how much a regular diet of ramen noodles probably effects my game? I'm just finishing my graduate degree - I've paid my dues... I want my big screen TV, I want my car, I want my set of clubs to be worth more than the latest in driver technology.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by yun
    Hey all,
    I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of engineering tools major golf companies use in order to design golf balls and clubs. I'm an engineering student, and am thinking about going into the golf industry for engineering, and I want to find out what kind of skill sets, knowledge base would go help my chances to get into one of these companies. Thanks

Yun
    Goof luck with that. This is what I know. Golf ball designers are Chemical and Aerospace engineers. When NASA cut it's budget some time ago. Several of them moved to golf ball design.

Club design I have no idea.

I hope you make it that would be a dream job. Just remember us when you're the head designer at Nike. BTW. You should contact them directly. Just do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Goof luck with that. This is what I know. Golf ball designers are Chemical and Aerospace engineers. When NASA cut it's budget some time ago. Several of them moved to golf ball design.

Club design I have no idea.

I hope you make it that would be a dream job. Just remember us when you're the head designer at Nike. BTW. You should contact them directly. Just do some research.
    Aerospace - well, at least I'm in the right field. I've been trying to get a hold of engineers at Nike, Titleist, Callaway... you name it, just to ask them questions - it's like pulling teeth. I keep getting automated emails back so I know it's not going to go anywhere. I guess I'll just have to try harder.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I'd guess that golf club designers are physicists first and engineers second, since club design is all about dynamic forces. But then what do I know, I'm just a programmer

Krolik.

Thread Information