CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    That's flawed logic. We lost because of a goaltender, one on both ends. If you took off the blue coloured glasses, you would realize how flawed the Leafs are. That showed up when Belfour was out and the Leafs had the choice of losing with Kidd or losing with Talqvuist (sp?)
    The golatender is player on the ice. and has an impact. Are best player was a goalie. Yours was a defenceman. Take those two away and who knows what happens. You can guess all you want but you really don't know.

Huh? The Sens had the number one power play percentage-wise and in goals scored for the regular season, and were the number one scoring team in the NHL. How is that a defensive-style team?
    You think Martin's teams are known as an offensive style team? Think again. Scoring goals on the cycle is not great hockey either. That's how Ottawa scores. Turns overs in the neutral zone and transition. That's how the trap works

I am foremost a fan of hockey and the style the Leafs play is terrible.
    I think you're trying to diminish this win with some trivial stuff about the "Style of Hockey" The leafs play. Please. I noticed no one complained about the senators style when they didn't have the talent they do now.

Belfour is part of the Maple Leafs. It's a team game. Like I said they didn't win 3 shutouts that's 3 shutouts 0 - 0. It was also the leafs that kept the sens on the perimeter shooting down wide open lanes. That makes a goalie of Belfours calibre much better. The leafs played OK not great. That makes most leaf fans optimistic.

My choice for cheering for the Flyers is that hopefully the Leafs management will realize that Quinn's antiquated style, which is much different from Ferguson's choice of style, will not get them anywhere where it counts, that is, to win a Cup.
    We'll see. If they dont' win it this year. They'll try again whenever hockey starts again. That's the beautiful thing about hockey there's always next year.
    Last edited by Andru; 04-21-2004 at 06:55 PM.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    We'll see. If they dont' win it this year. They'll try again whenever hockey starts again. That's the beautiful thing about hockey there's always next year.[/QUOTE]

And the best thing about GOLFING is there's always tomorrow.....

Enough about the SENS already, unless they're in the 4-some ahead of you on the weekend!!!
    :po

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    We'll see. If they dont' win it this year. They'll try again whenever hockey starts again. That's the beautiful thing about hockey there's always next year.
    Now that's what I am talking about.

We lost, they won!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Kilgar has been a good addition for the leafs. They paid nothing for him by picking him up on waivers. He scored a prety big goal last nigh with the domi and reichel line. He's been positive for the leafs.

As far as the Habs bandwagon. Sure. You could jump on that one. You have to respect a team that fights back from a 3 -1 deficit.
    I am not jumping on any bandwagon. I am a habs fan from day one. I cheer for Ottawa cause it's a local team.

As for Kilger, I saw him play in MTL, EDM, CHI and he should be playing allot better then he has in the NHL. He plays hard in the beginning but fades out in the long run. He did nothing in all the teams that he played for in the NHL. 66G in 500 games....

Like this one!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    For anyone who says "shame on Muckler for not trying to get a goalie," well, he DID try to get a goalie, but the asking price was pretty steep. Kolzig and Witt, for Havlat, Prusek and a draft pick. We offered Vermette, Prusek, and a draft pick. We couldn't get the deal done.
    Where is the proof of any of this? I've been talking to press relations people all season, and so far haven't heard a word of this.

At any rate, people should expect some changes, but hopefully not the ones being proposed in this forum. People are upset, and thinking slightly irrationally. This team was better than the Leafs, but got stung by a superior Belfour performance. The stats all bear it out.

At any rate, Philly should kick Toronto's ass in about 4-5 games, which will be the only fun for me in the remaining games.

Go FLYERS!
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Like this one!
    That's hilarious!!!!!!!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Where is the proof of any of this? I've been talking to press relations people all season, and so far haven't heard a word of this.
    Dan
    Dan, you are not the only one that hears things from those infamous "sources" close to the team.

No, I have no concrete proof of this, I'm sure Muckler doesn't keep a little scratchpad with all his failed trades on it...but it IS a deal that tried to get done but, in the end, the Sens wouldn't part with Havlat.

OH well, as you said, it'll be fun to see the Flyers tear the Leafs a new one...

Jacques Martin has just been fired! Know lets see who will replace him????:shake

Let's see if anyone else can match or do better then this.

The former NHL coach of the year guided the Senators to three division titles, the President's trophy and reached the conference finals in the Stanley Cup playoffs last season.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Let's see if anyone else can match or do better then this.

The former NHL coach of the year guided the Senators to three division titles, the President's trophy and reached the conference finals in the Stanley Cup playoffs last season.

But he's 0 for 4 against the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs. The regular season is an 82 game practice for 2 months of real hockey. If you're packing your bags before the end of April 4 out of every 5 years, you're looking for a new line of work.

The next faces to head for the exit are Lalime, Bonk, Havlat, Bondra, De Vries, and Neil. Possibly even Prusek or Emery will be involved in some kind of trade.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    But he's 0 for 4 against the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs. The regular season is an 82 game practice for 2 months of real hockey. If you're packing your bags before the end of April 4 out of every 5 years, you're looking for a new line of work.
    Sorry but the leafs have been doing that for the past 30 some years. At least the habs have won every decade or so.

Andru
    Sorry but the leafs have been doing that for the past 30 some years. At least the habs have won every decade or so.
    Speaking of which, Montreal is due for a good riot.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

No argument here. FYI, it's 37 years to be precise. There's your problem though. Toronto - 37 years (so far); New York - prior to 1994, 54 years; Detroit - prior to 1997, 42 years; Boston - 32 years (and counting); Chicago - 43 years (and counting); Philadelphia - 29 years (and counting). The big market advantage. We're a patient bunch.

Ottawa couldn't survive 1/3 of that time with mediocre or losing seasons. Stop whining and be patient. You're lucky to have a team here at all.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I think the 0-4 versus the Leafs (although not in the first round of the playoffs, they met in the second round at least once when Toronto played NYI in the first round) is bad, but not ultimately what got Martin fired.

Martin and Muckler don't get along much in terms of their respective views of hockey. Muckler got some players, and Martin didn't use them the way Muckler thought they should be used. Martin made roster decisions that Muckler didn't agree with.

Muckler wasn't going to fire himself, being at least that intelligent a man, so he let Martin go.

I personally applaud the decision, simply because it will be a new look team coming into the post-lockout era of NHL hockey. The league's proposed rule changes will be reviewed, and the game will be different. Maybe Ottawa will find a balance between offence and defence that actually works for them.

The next faces to head for the exit are Lalime, Bonk, Havlat, Bondra, De Vries, and Neil. Possibly even Prusek or Emery will be involved in some kind of trade.
    Well, I don't think you're even close. Lalime maybe, Bonk probably (but unfairly), Havlat no way, Bondra (free agent if Ottawa doesn't pick up an option) not a trade, DeVries (has a 3 year contract, and who wants him after his performance?), Neil a favourite of Muckler's. Prusek and/or Emery will only be traded if Ottawa can land a top-flight goalie, and then it will be one or the other, likely Prusek.

Guys we SHOULD trade: White (while he's still worth something), Redden (see White), Lalime (confidence is lost in him), Van Allen, DeVries (hell, give him away if we can).

Not a long list, and no real major players other than Redden. Most turnovers of any player in the NHL that I've seen, and worst "pinching" instinct in the league.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Speaking of which, Montreal is due for a good riot.
    I was there in 93. I payed 18$ for a standing ticket. Best experience in my life. It was so lowed in the forum it was amaizing.

Even more amaizing was to see everybody brack and burn everything in there path after the game. I went home at 4:30am. Awsome!!!!!

Ottawa couldn't survive 1/3 of that time with mediocre or losing seasons. Stop whining and be patient. You're lucky to have a team here at all.
    Stop whining and be patient!!! That's what I have swaying in my posts for the past day's.

I would be suprised if the Sens win a cup within the next 5 years!

Thread Information