100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    He was an assistant for 2 years but in Dallas he was assistant GM, my bad
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Nope. Therrien was before Julien. It was Therrien, Julien, Bob with Carbo as an assistant then carbo became coach.

Check the “Coaching career” section on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Carbonneau

JMartin is the first experienced NHL coach hired by MTL since Demers. That says a lot about the Habs success for the past 15 years.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    OK, I checked, I was right. He coached with Therien and then went to Dallas as Assis GM, this is form the same source:

After serving as an assistant coach to Michel Therrien with the Canadiens from 2000 to 2002, Carbonneau moved back to the Dallas Stars where he worked as an assistant General Manager until his return to Montreal in January 2006.

On January 14, 2006, Guy Carbonneau became the Montreal Canadiens associate coach as Claude Julien was fired and GM Bob Gainey assumed the role of interim head coach; Carbonneau then took over as head coach, after the Canadiens were eliminated from the playoffs. He is the 28th coach of the famed Montreal team.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    OK, I checked, I was right. He coached with Therien and then went to Dallas as Assis GM, this is form the same source:

After serving as an assistant coach to Michel Therrien with the Canadiens from 2000 to 2002, Carbonneau moved back to the Dallas Stars where he worked as an assistant General Manager until his return to Montreal in January 2006.

On January 14, 2006, Guy Carbonneau became the Montreal Canadiens associate coach as Claude Julien was fired and GM Bob Gainey assumed the role of interim head coach; Carbonneau then took over as head coach, after the Canadiens were eliminated from the playoffs. He is the 28th coach of the famed Montreal team.
    I’m very surprised. I’m a huge Habs fan and I don’t recall him being there when Therrien was coach but you are right.

That being said I did a bit of research and found that he was there briefly for the 01-02 season only. They had issues and that was the one of the reasons Carbo took the Dallas offer. Nonetheless he was still a rookie as a coach with not much experience behind the bench. Especially if Carbo and Therrien were not seeing eye to eye on things.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    When I watch the press conference of Jacques Martin it could have easily have been Bob Gainey talking. The same monotone voice, no emotion, no excitement voice. Gainey brought in a clone of himself.

I thought Gillette and Gainey said they would bring in a winner... true he won the Memorial Cup in 1986 but at the NHL level his teams perform below expectations in the playoffs.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

I’m 50/50 on this. It’s so easy to judge a coach as good or not by the cup ring standard. So many good coaches have never won the cup. So many teams have never won the cup. You can’t judge a coach by that standard. So many ordinary coaches have one the cup once and then light out.

As for the monotone Bob clone I agree but that what they need in MTL. The media is so crazy that they need someone that stays down to earth and does not climb up the drapes at every chance they get. Carbo was not the most exiting speaker nether was Julien.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    the press and fans are going to be on him if he has either a bad start or a prolonged losing streak.
    They could have Jean Beliveau coaching them and the media would be on his case for losing more than two in a row.

If you are looking for a stress free job, coach of the Habs is not it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information