100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Lemaire had to step down or he was going to get fired.
    And your point is?

Edited Today at 11:13 AM: Sorry, I thought you were saying he resigned when he was coach in MTL. Didn’t know he resigned from the Wild.
    Last edited by mberube; 04-14-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I have a friend that played for Hartley. He did tell me more then once that he is hated by his players. I doubt he will be the next Habs coach with Bob being so passive. Larry is still part of the Devils organisation. He is in Florida living on his ranch. It will take a lucrative deal to make Larry a coach again in the NHL but I would like it.

The number one candidate is, and I don’t like it, #33, Patrick Roy. He has won the Memorial cup and still coaching in QMJL. There is also Groulx in the AHL. He had a record career coaching the Gatineau Olympics like Julien did.

Mike

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    The funny thing when Hartley was supposedly hired in Russia Jagr said no because he will make us work too hard... if that is a problem then maybe some of these players should find another job.

Hard work brings championship....

If they want a winner in Montreal Hartley is the guy... Stanley Cup, AHL Championship, Memorial Cup, LHJMQ championship (Coupe du Président), CJHL Championship...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

On that I would agree but I was told he was a major *. He treats his players like garbage.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    On that I would agree but I was told he was a major *. He treats his players like garbage.
    Sometimes that's what players need...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Treating players in this way is usually a short term solution especially in today's NHL, 15 years ago it would have been more effective. Scotty Bowman was a classic example of a hard nose coach, he did not belittle players in public but if you did not perform the way he wanted you were soon on the bench or out the door. He was not a player's coach by any means. I think bringing in their AHL coach makes everyone think he has the inside edge but we will see. Gainey may not even have that job come another week or so if Boston dispatched them quickly.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Treating players in this way is usually a short term solution especially in today's NHL, 15 years ago it would have been more effective. Scotty Bowman was a classic example of a hard nose coach, he did not belittle players in public but if you did not perform the way he wanted you were soon on the bench or out the door. He was not a player's coach by any means. I think bringing in their AHL coach makes everyone think he has the inside edge but we will see. Gainey may not even have that job come another week or so if Boston dispatched them quickly.
    if??? you mean when...

I'm a habs fan but I'm also realistic about their chances against Boston. The Boston you saw last year in the playoffs wasn't as good as this year and the Montreal you saw last year was much better than this year - especially with Markov out.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I was impressed with Montreal's play last night but man do they ever miss Markhov on the PP.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Yep and with Markov out the transition is hurting badly also.

How long will it take for Gainey to wake up and bench Pleks. He has lost it completely for the past 25 games but he is still considered #2 line…..I’m sure there is a kid in Hamilton that has more hart then him at the moment. I’d bring Pacheretty (SP?) up and move Higgins center. SergeK is also an option but PLEASE don’t dress Pleks for at least a couple of games.

Yes he has been playing with little or no confidence, you can be sure that he would have been out long ago if Carbo was around. Combine his play with the inexperienced D'Agostini and you have a brutal line. D'Agostini looked like Jason Spezza leaving his man wide open on the 2nd Boston goal. Why cant forwards just stay beside their man in their d-zone instead of floating and waiting for the puck. Drives me nuts.
    Lefty Lucas

One of many errors from that line. Same thing happened with the Chara PP goal. You just know that Chara is the key to that PP unit. The winger should never take too much distance from Chara like Lapierre did all night. Kostopulos did not do it and it cost then the game they should have won. I think yesterday’s game was a panic attack for the Bruins. They were in sleep mode for the second half of the game until the PP goal late in the third. MTL must tie this series Saturday if they want a chance to move on.

Big step backward, young Kostistin did not play smartly, changed the momentum ogf the game, Price looked weak on a couple of goals. Put Halak in for a change
    Lefty Lucas

Yep but I disagree concerning Price. He is not getting much help and he is not to blame. Live or die with Price I say.

They MUST take Laraque off the first line and put Tanguay back on. They need goals. They must score first.

With Lucic out for this coming game it would be a good time to put that line together again, put Laraque on the Lapierre line, that would be a nice crash line too.
    Lefty Lucas

Yep but I disagree concerning Price. He is not getting much help and he is not to blame. Live or die with Price I say.

They MUST take Laraque off the first line and put Tanguay back on. They need goals. They must score first.

Way to capitalize on every turnover!!! Oh well, there is no way we can compete again these guys without Markov, Schneider, Tanguay and Lang. It will be interesting to see how far the Bruins will go.

Well this caught me by surprise. Jacques Martin is officially the Habs head coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280562

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Well this caught me by surprise. Jacques Martin is officially the Habs head coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280562
    This must be Jacques' dream job. I hope for the sake of all the Hab fans out there that he has learned how to be successful in the post season.......year after year of fantastic regular seasons with the Sens only to end in bitter play-off losses.

Personally I think Les Habs fired the better coach in Carbo

Holy Crap, that is something else, it will be interesting to see how they do these next few rebuilding years, with all those UFAs it will be difficult to rebuild a team chemistry
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, his experience dealing with and underachieving, spoiled, Russian captain should come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    This must be Jacques' dream job. I hope for the sake of all the Hab fans out there that he has learned how to be successful in the post season.......year after year of fantastic regular seasons with the Sens only to end in bitter play-off losses.

Personally I think Les Habs fired the better coach in Carbo
    I stated this in the past, I don’t believe the JMartin was the reason the Sens did not win the cup but that’s another issue. Note that he still got the final 4.

I think it’s a good move on Bob’s part now let’s see if he can give him a team to work with.

I do agree the Carbo’s let go was a MAJOR mistake but I would not go as far as saying that Carbo is a better coach then Martin. This was Carbo’s first job as a coach and he made some amateur mistakes especially during the second part of the season. Martin on the other hand has a lot off experience behind the bench at all levels. He got to the final 4, won the Calder in the AHL, won the coach of the year in 99….

I’m exited to see what he will bring. On the downside is that he is a defensive coach. I don’t like that style of hockey.

Side note: Martin hired Groulx (record holding coach for the hull Olympics) for the AHL Panthers team. We might see Groulx for his NHL assistant début. Just a hunch.

Mike

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I wonder how the fans will react to the change from the run-and-gun style of the last few years to the JM trap and snooze hockey?
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    I wonder how the fans will react to the change from the run-and-gun style of the last few years to the JM trap and snooze hockey?
    Exactly my point and I’m not too thrilled about that. I hope he will change his strategy.

Press conference live :

http://www.rds.ca/direct/

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'm not too happy about this. The one bright spot for me is that Martin was very good at developing younger players, and Montreal has a lot of young guys coming up.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I don't see Jacques doing well in Montreal.... I hope he does but I don't think he is what the habs need. If there are a bunch of young players next year, he will do a great job bringing them along if given a chance but unfortunately that won't be good enough..... the press and fans are going to be on him if he has either a bad start or a prolonged losing streak.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

At least they got someone with experience this time. For the past 10 years or so they have employed NHL rookie coaches. This time around they got someone with an NHL résumé.

Good point, although Guy had plenty of coaching experience as an assistant but no HC. Jacques will have his assistants working hard and the players working harder. If Kovalev and Plekanec re-sign with the club they will have a short leash with Martin who has little ice time for players who do not respect his system. I wish that Clouston had the same way of thinking, I almost died when I saw him put out Spezza on a penalty killing role last season.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Good point, although Guy had plenty of coaching experience as an assistant but no HC. Jacques will have his assistants working hard and the players working harder. If Kovalev and Plekanec re-sign with the club they will have a short leash with Martin who has little ice time for players who do not respect his system. I wish that Clouston had the same way of thinking, I almost died when I saw him put out Spezza on a penalty killing role last season.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but Carbo had no experience at all behind the bench before coming to MTL. He was Bob’s assistant coach for the end of the season when Bob fired Julien. He then became the Habs head coach.

Thought he was an assistant to Therrien I am pretty sure
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information