CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Carbonneau fired

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood PatS is on a distinguished road PatS's Avatar
    I'm kinda shocked, but I was expecting it. He had somewhat bad decision making (i.e. never shortened the bench when we needed a goal, Kostopolous having a TOI of 16min, putting Glen Metropolit on a 5 vs 3, etc.), lack of communication with players.

Gainey is better suited for the job.

Now if only he can become permanent coach and Timmins can become GM, then we'll be set.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    What I find funny is how people have been that Murray was the real problem in Ottawa, that has cost at least two coaches their job........the same thing applies for "Les Canadiens".

It was Gainey who decided that Price was "The Man". It was also Gainey who decided to sit pat with a team full over over achieving career second and third liners at the trade deadline - Good luck Bob, you made your bed and now you have to sleep in it.........

How do the Montreal Canadiens celebrate 100 years??

Fire the coach and most likely the GM too

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I say they bring back Scotty!!!With a name like that how can you loose.(is he still coaching?)

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It could be worse, they could be the Leafs.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I say they bring back Scotty!!!With a name like that how can you loose.(is he still coaching?)
    you're only as good as your players. All scotty had to do in Montreal was to open the door. how did he do in Buffalo? I say bring back Pollock
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Baxter
    I say about time. Not being a Montreal fan...but need the Habs to do well for business. He lost that room about 2 months ago and could not get it back(from players I know) and Gainey did try and allow him to fix his mess. He could not, so he goes. After watching last nights game vs. Dallas the only thing that won that game was Carey Price. Dallas had 9 power plays not counting the last 2 as there was only 34 seconds and 5 seconds left in the game. Dallas had 31 shots and could not finish. I found it strange after the game Carbonneau was standing on the Bench clapping his hands and looking around the building???? Not sure if he knew something was up or not.

Cheers,
    Dave

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I think Carbonneau has created his own problems. Communication ia really important and last week he said that if the players want communication they should hire themself somebody to communicate??? What the hell does that mean?

I think the benching of Kovalev, not wanted to play Bégin also hurt him, etc...

Bégin seem quite popular and he gave everything he has to the team. He was the first one there to defend others... he doesn't have as much talent as others but he is not worse than the 3rd or 4th line players. I don't think the players really understand all the decision and communication would have help...

The sad thing is that nowadays you have to communicate with your players and at the end that was probably his biggest problem...

PS: I wonder where Manny is, I'd like to hear what he has to say.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar

carbo fired

That must have been excruciating for Bob to make that call now. He and carbo have such a long association together. But the team has been crap for 2 months, and the only way they are going anywhere is with Kovalev and Price turning their seasons around. Gainey is the right guy in this respect, plus now he can do the final evaluation as he decides if to resign alot of them in the summer.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    The sad thing is that nowadays you have to communicate with your players and at the end that was probably his biggest problem...
    You almost never see this type of crap from players in New Jersey. Lou has set the law down and if you don't like it then make sure the door does not wack your butt on the way out. Makes it easier for a coach to do the things he wants. Look at them this year - there really is not much "star" power but they play very well as a team.

Then you have teams like Ottawa and Montreal with an assortment of prima donnas that eat up coaches like Homer Simpson plowing through donouts.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    You almost never see this type of crap from players in New Jersey. Lou has set the law down and if you don't like it then make sure the door does not wack your butt on the way out. Makes it easier for a coach to do the things he wants. Look at them this year - there really is not much "star" power but they play very well as a team.

Then you have teams like Ottawa and Montreal with an assortment of prima donnas that eat up coaches like Homer Simpson plowing through donouts.
    You may wish to go and check your NJ Devil history books....They have done the same thing not to long ago. make that twice not to long ago...That's how Larry Robinson got his 1st job with NJ... 15 games left in the season and they won the Cup that year. I think??.....Than it happened again and I think Lou took over as coach??
    I don't think any Team is free of this happening....
    Just a question...Who are the prima donnas on Montreal?? and Ottawa?? I have not seen a player on any of those teams act like this. But I may have missed it...

No star power in New Jersey.... I might remind you that Brodeur, Parise (4th in scoring) and Elias (12th in scoring) all have star power.

If I remember right... didn't he fire his coach with 3 games left in in 2007 (Claude Julien)... Since Lamoriello has been in New Jersey as GM (1987) there has been 15 changes as coach for the team. Jacques Lemaire lasted the longest (5 years)... It is the same crap everywhere

There are only a few coaches in the NHL who are safe, Ruff (Buffalo), Babcock (Red Wings) and Trotz (Nashville).

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    As a Senators fan, I can't help but think the situation in Montreal is somewhat familiar.....
    Must..think...harder...to...remember...

In all seriousness, I think Gainey is expecting too much from the team he has. they are a good team, but not that good.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Gainey is the main person that this season's failures can be attributed for.

#1 - Annointing Price as the 'next Patrick Roy' and trading away Huet. First of all, Price is NOT that good, perhaps he will become an elite goalie, but wouldn't you bring in a veteran 'mentor' back-up to help the kid out?

#2 - Out of the 33 players on their payroll (NHL & AHL), 20 of them are free agents next year, UFA and RFA. In a league of 'me' first, how can you allow this to happen. As most players tend to do, they are playing for themselves, their own contracts, they know they will likely not be there next year. Here are a few key UFA's next year:
    Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Komisarek, Dandenault

#3 - This team came to the trade deadline and were washing down the toilet quickly, yet instead of shaking this team up, he decided to do NOTHING! When you are in your 100th year and your biggest acquisition is Schneider, that's a joke. With all of the UFA's they have, they easily could have taken the contract of Jokinen or another big centre with a year or two left.

This is just a GM trying to save his own job by putting the teams poor play on the coach, who he hand-picked and groomed with him behind the bench together. Now what's he gonna do? I hope for the Montreal fans he is gone next year. He has done nothing to help the habs in the 100th year, and more importantly has zero locked up for this team's future.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I think this is actually one of the clearest firing's this year. Carbonneau was not coaching the way he should. He did not communicate with players, he made line-up mistakes, changed line combos much too often and this all finally caught up with him. He is a VERY stubborn person and he paid the price for his mentaility.

NOW, for those of you saying the Habs have 11 UFA's and they should have already started discussion... I can tell you that a number of those 11 are not expected back or een wanted back. There already is a verbal agreement for Koivu in place. I don't know if they will rush to sign Komisarek because he is not worth the $6M+ he will get elsewhere. Dandenault is done in Montreal. Kovalev will be a tough decision. Koivu will take a pay cut to finish his career in Montreal. Lang will hopefully be replaced, or will take a pay cut to stay.

So it isn't as bad as people say. They will only bring back 1/2 the UFA's...

Carbo needed to be replaced because he was making bad coaching decisions. He didn't do his job.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    After standing pat at the trade dead line and then firing Carbo, Gainey has placed his neck squarely on the chopping block.
    The Habs need to go to finals for him the save his job, and that seems unlikely at this juncture.
    It's a bizarre turn of events to be orchestrated by a man who many consider to be one of the best minds in hockey. With this being the 100th anniversary for the bleu-blanc-rouge, you have to think Gainey has something up his sleeve.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    You may wish to go and check your NJ Devil history books....They have done the same thing not to long ago. make that twice not to long ago...That's how Larry Robinson got his 1st job with NJ... 15 games left in the season and they won the Cup that year. I think??.....Than it happened again and I think Lou took over as coach??
    I don't think any Team is free of this happening....
    Just a question...Who are the prima donnas on Montreal?? and Ottawa?? I have not seen a player on any of those teams act like this. But I may have missed it...
    I was waiting for this. The year Larry won was an abberation IMO. Everyone who does this late firing stuff points to that move - well, good luck with that. The year Lou stepped in did not work very well.

As for the players, Spezza on Ottawa is an example. I don't care what people say but this guy refuses to listen. Montreal has Kovalev... too lazy to dig up other names

My point is Lou typically ensures he has a team that will work as a team. Does not always work but you can't argue too much with their success.

As a HUGE Habs fan, I can admit that they were not going to win the cup this year, no matter what moves they made at the deadline. They just aren't there yet.

They have alot of very good prospects, and we saw D'Agostini and Pacioretty develop this year. There are other good ones on the way...

I am glad Gainey has not worked on contracts during the year. Higgins and Lang will be gone, clearing $6M off the books to spend on a centre this summer.

Dandenault, Brisebois, Janik along with 3 other no-name UFA's will clear over $4M off the books to spend on a solid d-man.

Chipchura, Aubin, Belle would clear $2M off the books and those guys will not be in the future for the team.

The Habs will have lots of money to spend this year and letting a number of RFA and UFA's walk will clear room for the youngsters to play next year.

No star power in New Jersey.... I might remind you that Brodeur, Parise (4th in scoring) and Elias (12th in scoring) all have star power.
    I give Parise his due - excellent player. Elias, sure but is 12th. Brodeur has hardly played all year so he does not count for much of this season (although he will count now). After that, who else? Look at where they are - going to win their division. My point is the whole is greater than sum of the parts and Lou will sacrifice some "star power" to ensure the players tow the line. You don't see NJ "quitting" on a coach too much. 2000 was an abberation - I think the leadership on that team was united in getting rid of the coach so that happened to be constructive (very rare). Different than the GM having to step in and fire the coach because he has "communication issues" with the team.

I guess I am just sick of Ottawa burning through coaches when you have other issues to deal with (players). Montreal sort of looks similar to me but mabey Gainey will be able to sort it out.

I don't know how many of you listen to games on RDS and to the interview after. This year (especially in the last 3 months) Carbonneau said that he doesn't know what to do anymore. If the coach who is job is to organize the team and he doesn't know what to do ... we definitely need another coach.

Sure he has a great mind and I like him but I don't think that coaching is his destiny. Ass't coach would be more suited for him. Last year they had Kovalev playing on the right side on the power play and he must have got 10 goals coming out of the corner or coming in from the blue line. This year they decided to play him on the left side???

Like golfisforfun said: "He is stubborn" and had the bad communication and you have problems... Not sure his game plan were that good neither...

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I don't think that coaching is his destiny. Ass't coach would be more suited for him.
    Rumour mill has Carbo going to Dallas....
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    After standing pat at the trade dead line and then firing Carbo, Gainey has placed his neck squarely on the chopping block.
    The Habs need to go to finals for him the save his job, and that seems unlikely at this juncture.
    It's a bizarre turn of events to be orchestrated by a man who many consider to be one of the best minds in hockey. With this being the 100th anniversary for the bleu-blanc-rouge, you have to think Gainey has something up his sleeve.
    I love the difference in Gainey's tone... now he talked about 'making the playoffs' as the goal of the team, I thought the talk of this centenary year was 'going all the way' not just making the playoffs. For a team with this much history, unless they flip the switch and make some SERIOUS noise in the playoffs, this season cannot be acceptable!

If he is 'one of the best minds in hockey' then hockey needs a shake-up!! The habs need a further shake up in the summer as well, with all the money that they have this season, I wouldn't want Gainey in control. I haven't followed the habs closely, but what significant signing has he made that worked out?

Habs will have over $30M to spend this summer. I have full confidence in Gainey. I would actually like him to sign 3 players and pay extra if he has to do so...

Bowmeester and the Sedin twins.

Let Kovalev, Higgins, Komisarek, Dandenault, and a few others walk...

I don't care if they overpay for Bowmeester or the Sedins.

Their Defence would feature Markov +1, Hamrlik +1 and Bowmeester +1.

Koivu will take a pay cut to stay and finish his career...

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    I think this idea that a gm should be judged primarily on his recent free agent signings, or trades near a deadline is overrated. Gainey has enough success and failures in both these. People seem to forget how much of an improvement Gainey has made with the farm system. He inherited nothing when he came. He brought in T Timmins and other quality people, and the habs farm system of today can match any team in the league. That will be the legacy Gainey should be judged by if you look at things historically.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    I think this idea that a gm should be judged primarily on his recent free agent signings, or trades near a deadline is overrated. Gainey has enough success and failures in both these. People seem to forget how much of an improvement Gainey has made with the farm system. He inherited nothing when he came. He brought in T Timmins and other quality people, and the habs farm system of today can match any team in the league. That will be the legacy Gainey should be judged by if you look at things historically.
    Here are the Bulldogs placing after the regular season, since Gainey took over in 2003:

2004/05 - 16th
    2005/06 - 22nd
    2006/07 - 11th
    2007/08 - 20th
    2008/09 - 7th (so far)

they won once in 06/07 and made it to the finals the year before Gainey got there. Not saying I know a lot about Gainey, but his stats/records don't really show too much great things. I wouldn't say they had nothing when he came, the 2003/04 team had, among others: Plekanec, Higgins, Beauchemin, Komisarek & Kilger

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    That’s part of the problem. Bob is to blame. Firing Carbo was not the solution. Bob did not want to sign the free agents on the team this year because he does not want them back next season. With that in mind why not keep Carbo and start fresh next year with a new team? Now he has no coach and half the players not coming back next year. Why not keep the coach and trade the free agent the he does not want back next at the trade deadline? I know this is the 100th but obviously he won’t win the cup with the team he has now!!! I will be surprised if they make it past the first round let alone make the post season.

Carbo was a good coach stuck with spoiled brats. Yes he made mistakes but didn’t he finish 1st in the eastern conference last season. Look at the past 4 habs coaches. Need to say more….
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I might be alone in this, but I think Jacques Lemaire stepping down as coach in Minnesota is a precursor to him taking over in Montreal next year. For whatever reason the habs tend toward French coaches and he has coached successfully there before.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    No way in hell Lemaire is making a comeback in MTL. Too much pressure and he hates the press. Been there done that. Larry Robinson has a better chance.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Lemaire had to step down or he was going to get fired.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Larry would be great. I heard Bob Hartley has the inside advantage but I personally would not like to see him there. He is a hot head and a goon coach, he probably would hire Schonfeld as an assistant, tow peas in a pod there.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information