CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Ok fair enough... But Kanata as a guest is $100 or there abouts and Stonebridge is $65. Plus a golf shirt brings you over $200. then you still have the opportunity to play in 1 or 2 more rounds at the Marshes and Rivermead...not bad. In the past, clublink guys have been dealt the short straw with all the CL courses. 3 out of 4 a couple years ago. 2 CL courses last year...but it's a tourney and a chance to compete and have fun with the boys. Also, depending on your tee time, you can always work half days...not like out of town tourneys where you have to take full days off and be away from family. Once again, to each there own. I agree with everybodies statements, just hate hearing people complain...this is the way tourneys work and always will!

You had to make me check Al. Kanata is $75 for regular times and $62.50 for opportunity tee times. Shirt or not, you could play Kanata and SB for less than $140, shirt or no shirt. But like you said, the tourney is run the way it's run and will be so for as long as it's around.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Par stinger is on a distinguished road

-

Don't forget about prizes, food for volunteers, insurance, gas to put into the cars, computers, computer software, advertising, golf show attendance fee, food for the last round players, etc, etc, etc. This competition is the best run competition in the area and is not cheap to run at all.
    If you like competition, you'll pay 200$, if you don't, play Tiger Woods on your computer (which by the way, will cost you a lot more than 200 bucks).

Bouche
    maybe ill make it my bday gift

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post
    Don't forget about prizes, food for volunteers, insurance, gas to put into the cars, computers, computer software, advertising, golf show attendance fee, food for the last round players, etc, etc, etc. This competition is the best run competition in the area and is not cheap to run at all.
    If you like competition, you'll pay 200$, if you don't, play Tiger Woods on your computer (which by the way, will cost you a lot more than 200 bucks).
    Hear hear...thank you!

It's a tournament, not an afternoon stroll with the wife looking at the scenary! A tournament is for competition. Maybe this will increase the level of competition and eliminate "tourists." If people want to go play courses they usually don't play, I am sure you can use 4 degrees of separation (instead of 6) to get you a guest invite to anywhere you want, Hunt, Camelot, Rivermead, Royal Ottawa, any private club, its not that hard..hell, I could get on the Abby with less than 3 phone calls if I wanted to.

Are the people that complain about the Citizen's operations the same ones who complain about Golf Quebec and the OVGA being "exclusionary?" Don't answer that, I don't want to drag the thread off topic...sorry.
    Last edited by marcf; 04-01-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling/typing

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Hear hear...thank you!

It's a tournament, not an afternoon stroll with the wife looking at the scenary! A tournament is for competition. Maybe this will increase the level of competition and eliminate "tourists." If people want to go play courses they usually don't play, I am sure you can use 4 degrees of separation (instead of 6) to get you a guest invite to anywhere you want, Hunt, Camelot, Rivermead, Royal Ottawa, any private club, its not that hard..hell, I could get on the Abby with less than 3 phone calls if I wanted to.

Are the people that complain about the Citizen's operations the same ones who complain about Gof Quebec and the OVGA being "exclusionary?" Don't answer that, I don't want to drag the thread off topic...sorry.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the Citizen, from what I've seen and heard it's a very well run event. But like marcf stated, this increase in cost will probably eliminate the fringe players that didn't really have a chance to make it past the first cut.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    But like marcf stated, this increase in cost will probably eliminate the fringe players that didn't really have a chance to make it past the first cut.
    I think anybody who has a legitimate index of 8 or better does have a chance to make the cut. The cut line seems to fall around 162 or so every year so a couple of rounds of 80 should do it. The question is: Can you shoot those two good rounds when it counts? That's why I've played in the past and why I'm planning to play again this year.

$150 the past couple of years seemed like a really good deal to me. $200 this year is about fair value in my mind.

I'm definitely going to have to work on my comfort level at Kanata Lakes though... or else I'm going to need to break par at Stonebridge to make the cut!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I think anybody who has a legitimate index of 8 or better does have a chance to make the cut.
    Assuming he can manage to keep the 8's and 9's off the scorecard and/or sink the occasional put.

Yes, I'm talking about myself.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Bouche
    or the 12's....me

I submitted my application today... Who else is entering?

2 Iron joethepro66 is on a distinguished road joethepro66's Avatar
    Im in!!!! I hope to do better this year, with Kanata and Stonebridge as round 1 and 2 im sure the cut score will be around 164. This is still a great event at $199, very professional in how they run it.

I'm in if I can get my stupid fax machine to connect.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I'll be there for all the rounds but won't be playing. I'll get to run around and make sure you play by the rules.

I got my first practice round in at Kanata Lakes yesterday (thanks lms!) and, although most holes were in 'ok' condition, a few of them were in pretty rough shape. I've also played Stonebridge numerous times this year. The problems with course conditions there are well documented in at least two other threads (greens fine but fairways and tee boxes hit and miss... in some cases a BIG miss).

I don't see how the worst 2 or 3 holes condition-wise at Kanata Lakes will be up to snuff for round 1 in a little over two weeks, although I suppose it's possible. I think the greens at KL will be okay for the most part. Even a month from now though, I wonder if Stonebridge's fairways / tee boxes will have recovered without a massive re-sodding operation.

How many cans of white paint are going to be emptied marking all of the GUR? Is there any chance the committee could use the "lift, clean and place" rule? Can that rule be applied on a hole-by-hole basis?

I suppose they could have a definition for GUR that identifies any "dead/brown" areas of the fairway as GUR.

If they word the rule like that, I'll guarantee you I have a perfect lie every time!

I suspect the discussions on the course about whether so-and-so's lie is bad enough to justify relief would add a significant amount of time to the round. They'd be better off with lift/clean/place IMHO.

Lift clean and place usually has a distance limit of 6" which won't help on a lot of the dead spots.

Is lift, clean and re-tee an option?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I suppose they could have a definition for GUR that identifies any "dead/brown" areas of the fairway as GUR.
    I assume you're kidding and forgot the smiley, right? After all, much of the British Open is played from "brown" areas.

I'm sure that the GUR markings will be plentiful and/or they will allow LCP in the fairways.

2 Iron joethepro66 is on a distinguished road joethepro66's Avatar
    Is the tournament full yet? If not how many are they still short? I hope they can fill it, its such a great tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I assume you're kidding and forgot the smiley, right? After all, much of the British Open is played from "brown" areas.

I'm sure that the GUR markings will be plentiful and/or they will allow LCP in the fairways.
    No smiley. The course conditions here assume green grass.

I don't think LCP is an option because the problem is not mud on the ball, it's large dead areas of grass.

The way I'm playing right now, I might need the "just set it where you hoped it would have gone" rule to be in effect.

No smiley. The course conditions here assume green grass.
    There is nothing in Rules saying grass must be green. It is inconceivable that a tournament of this stature would not follow the Rules of Golf, which specify that GUR must be marked:

Ground Under Repair
    "
    Ground under repair" is any part of the course so marked by order of the Committee or so declared by its authorized representative...

Also note that it would be impossible to define a "margin" for GUR if it was simply declared to be "dead/brown areas".

I don't think LCP is an option because the problem is not mud on the ball, it's large dead areas of grass.
    LCP is always an option - it is totally up to the Committee to decide whether to use it or not:

b. "Preferred Lies" and "Winter Rules"
    Adverse conditions, including the poor condition of the course or the existence of mud, are sometimes so general, particularly during winter months, that the Committee may decide to grant relief by temporary Local Rule either to protect the course or to promote fair and pleasant play.

Based on your description of the conditions, I would expect they will have a lot of GUR markings and maybe allow LCP in the fairway.

There is nothing in Rules that states grass must be green. It is inconceivable that a tournament of this stature would not follow the Rules of Golf, which specify that GUR must be marked:

Ground Under Repair
    "
    Ground under repair" is any part of the course so marked by order of the Committee or so declared by its authorized representative...
    I agree there is nothing in the rules, but the normal conditions here are green grass.

In the snippet you quoted it also says "declared". Flower beds or other specific areas/conditions can be declared as GUR without being marked so presumably the same thing could be done for the dead areas of the fairway.

I agree there is nothing in the rules, but the normal conditions here are green grass.

In the snippet you quoted it also says "declared". Flower beds or other specific areas/conditions can be declared as GUR without being marked so presumably the same thing could be done for the dead areas of the fairway.
    Well, one can always dream...

...but I would practice hitting shots from some pretty crappy course conditions if I were you.

Well, one can always dream...

...but I would practice hitting shots from some pretty crappy course conditions if I were you.
    That's pretty much what I've been doing... every round so far this year.

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road
    Does anyone know when the tee times will be released to the public? I guess it will be posted in the Citizen or on the Flagstick web site - correct?

The ladies times were in the Citizen today. Not sure when they will be on Flagstick but it should be there shortly.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

Hoolio Wins the Links!

Congratulations on winning the tournament this year buddy!. Now to get back on topic, since you are obviously on a hot streak, and a decent golfer, I expect you are playing in the citizen this year?

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    The tournament in question is organized by a committee of current and past members. The tournament has been going on for over 35 years, and the point of it is to allow past and current members to come meet up annually and have a good time. There's a trophy handed out, but given that our buddy hoisted it a few years back with at least a 12-pack in his system, comparing the tournaments is like apples & oranges.

I'm a little late to the discussion, catching up on three weeks worth of topics is rather tedious.
    Andrew

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparsons View Post
    Does anyone know when the tee times will be released to the public? I guess it will be posted in the Citizen or on the Flagstick web site - correct?
    Check the Tournament website at the following link, it should have all the info on the dates that were outlined in the tournament packages:

http://209.217.91.134/flash/ottawaCitizenGolf/

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    Men's Round 1 tee times are posted on flagstick.com

Thread Information