CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    My point is that it's the same thing, even if they are calculated slightly different. I assume that most of the people that keep a handicap are aware of the difference between their Handicap Factor/ Index and their Handicap.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Like mberube said, it's about competing against the best.

Real tournament play is VERY different from playing a round with your buddies. I remember the first year watching the guy in the group in front of me hitting 3 (or 4?) balls off the first tee. That's serious nerves.

My goal (6.2) is to make the cut to the third round. If I catch lightning in a bottle I could in theory make it to the fourth round. Hasn't happened yet.

To play in this event do you have to be registered as a member of a course or is it open to anyone with the index of 8 or less for entry ?
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    No but your handicap factor must be a registered RCGA factor and acknowledged by a Pro if I’m not mistaken.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    thanks mike... Hopefully I'll be entered next year for the tourney !!!!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    In the past, all you needed was a signed form from the Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    No but your handicap factor must be a registered RCGA factor and acknowledged by a Pro if I’m not mistaken.

Mike
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I wouldn't bet any money on that...

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    My point is that it's the same thing, even if they are calculated slightly different. I assume that most of the people that keep a handicap are aware of the difference between their Handicap Factor/ Index and their Handicap.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    In the past, all you needed was a signed form from the Pro.
    Which we all know too well has been a problem in the past.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    To play in this event do you have to be registered as a member of a course or is it open to anyone with the index of 8 or less for entry ?
    The official entry form usually says it must be an official RCGA handicap but as Lobwedge states, that condition has not always been followed and has led to a few discussions on the board here.

If you are a member of either the GAO or Golf Quebec public player programs you get an official handicap.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Hmmm....they jacked the price up to $200. And they did not fill up last year. Could be interesting.....

It's curious that they made it $199 and not an even $200. The letter that came did a pretty good job of explaining the situation.

I too will be curious to see how many people sign up.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For those of us that didn't get the letter, what's the "situation"? And the price hike just confirmed I won't be playing in this....

It's curious that they made it $199 and not an even $200. The letter that came did a pretty good job of explaining the situation.

I too will be curious to see how many people sign up.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

They lost Buick as a sponsor and the fees have been the same for seven years.

Tommy and Lefebvre stepped up and increased their sponsorship amount and they have trimmed the tournament costs to keep the entry fee at $199.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Gotcha, thanks. At $150 was still humming and hawing, but at $200 I'll definitely be out. Too bad, I really wanted to play in this at some point.

They lost Buick as a sponsor and the fees have been the same for seven years.

Tommy and Lefebvre stepped up and increased their sponsorship amount and they have trimmed the tournament costs to keep the entry fee at $199.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Hmmm....they jacked the price up to $200. And they did not fill up last year. Could be interesting.....
    The down side for us CL members is that $200 to play Kanata and SB is not very exiting. Now if it was Mashes, Rivermead, LM then it would be interesting. Do you pay full pop even if you are a member at one of the course? I guess not but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

AFAIK the entry fee is the same even if you are a member at one of the courses.

Don't you be getting me into trouble here...

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Which we all know too well has been a problem in the past.
    Colby

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Wrong, they had 144 in the mens field last year, which is a full field.

It's been $150 for the past 7 years, hell, even with a normal "cost of living" increase the price should have been around $175 this year, and that is assuming nothing had changed with the sponsors and their contributions. The increase was due and is understandable.

Why does everyone always want something for nothing?

I'm pretty sure that in the last 2 years there were less than 144 players. More like 132/138 or so (based on counting the sheets used for scoring at the first 2 rounds).

I'm pretty sure that in the last 2 years there were less than 144 players. More like 132/138 or so (based on counting the sheets used for scoring at the first 2 rounds).
    I am looking at a copy of the first round scores from last year at Talon starts at 1 and ends at 144.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    It's been $150 for the past 7 years, hell, even with a normal "cost of living" increase the price should have been around $175 this year, and that is assuming nothing had changed with the sponsors and their contributions. The increase was due and is understandable.

Why does everyone always want something for nothing?
    I personally don't think that $200 is nothing. I think people are simply stating that for $200 they don't feel as though it's of any value to them. Especially in today's economy a lot of people just don't have $200 laying around. Like Mike said in an earlier post that paying $200 to play Stonebridge and Kanata (which I get to play anyway) really isn't that appealing to me.

I understand what you are saying regarding the costs should have been going up, but perhaps they should do it in increments every year instead of just bumping it up $50 from one year to the next.

I think stating that people are looking for a free ride just isn't fair or true.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I don't understand the cost issue. Playing just The Marshes and Stonebridge would cost a green fee player about $175 to play, throw in Kanata and Rivermed and that is over $300.

Why would $200 to play all four courses be too expensive

I suspect you also get a little 'grab bag' when you register as well with some balls and maybe a shirt or somethings of that nature.

I just don't understand the 'debate'...
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    I personally don't think that $200 is nothing. I think people are simply stating that for $200 they don't feel as though it's of any value to them. Especially in today's economy a lot of people just don't have $200 laying around. Like Mike said in an earlier post that paying $200 to play Stonebridge and Kanata (which I get to play anyway) really isn't that appealing to me.

I understand what you are saying regarding the costs should have been going up, but perhaps they should do it in increments every year instead of just bumping it up $50 from one year to the next.

I think stating that people are looking for a free ride just isn't fair or true.
    I didn't say people are looking for a free ride. Every year, this thread turns into a "why would I pay for that, since I get to play those courses anyway...blah blah blah fest." Think of it this way, the purpose of the tournament isn't to give "you" (not you Quinner directly, but in the generic sense...lol), the chance to play on a course you don't normally play, but it is to provide a forum for competition. This year, the Golf Quebec Spring Open qualifier is a Prescott, and the fee to play is more than the normal green fee. Most of the guys have played Prescott 30 or more times (ok, maybe not 30, but you get the point) That isn't going to stop guys who want to compete from going there and sticking a tee in the ground.

If people would like to just get a chance to play other courses, then use your recipricle privialges, or join RM, Executive Golf, etc. The tournament committees at the Citizen Am, OVGA, and Golf Quebec work really hard to provide a great competitive environment both , and it seems like it is never enough for people here. Lob Wedge and BC Mist from this forum give up more of there summertime working as rules officials, and if asked, they would do it in a parking lot, where the guys who want to compete would tee it up. Yes, I agree it would be great if the lineup was Camelot, Royal Ottawa, Ottawa Hunt, and Eagle Creek (for example) because most people don't get to play there, but then again, someone would say, "I'm a member at Camelot, so why would I pay to play my own course"...

This is an tired old argument that needs to be put out of its misery, if "you" want to compete, pay the fee, if not then don't pay.

One thing I have noticed, is you rarely here complaints form the people that pay the fee, and play in it, most of the comments come from people who don't even play in the events.

PS: Hindsite is always 20/20 when it comes to the increases in fees...if they had increased it $10-$15 or what ever people would have been here complaining about that as well every year.

The "debate" as you put it is from those who are members of the courses selected. You are only guarantees 2 rounds in the Citizen, therefore it's $200 to play Kanata and Stonebridge. Even at Prime Time that is only $150. $50 for a loot bag is a bit much IMHO -- don't jump all over me MarcF!!! -- I know it's about the competition!!!

For those of us who are Clublink members, that means $200 to play Stonebridge and get a shirt, plus 2 days off work (I don't get vacation days, sick days etc)

That's the "debate"

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I don't understand the cost issue. Playing just The Marshes and Stonebridge would cost a green fee player about $175 to play, throw in Kanata and Rivermed and that is over $300.

Why would $200 to play all four courses be too expensive

I suspect you also get a little 'grab bag' when you register as well with some balls and maybe a shirt or somethings of that nature.

I just don't understand the 'debate'...

The "debate" as you put it is from those who are members of the courses selected. You are only guarantees 2 rounds in the Citizen, therefore it's $200 to play Kanata and Stonebridge. Even at Prime Time that is only $150. $50 for a loot bag is a bit much IMHO -- don't jump all over me MarcF!!! -- I know it's about the competition!!!

For those of us who are Clublink members, that means $200 to play Stonebridge and get a shirt, plus 2 days off work (I don't get vacation days, sick days etc)

That's the "debate"
    lol...true...I hear ya Garth, but, how do you solve this?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

That's the "debate"
    Thanks Garth, didn't realize it was only 2 rounds guaranteed... so I guess the only answer is don't join the tourney and spend the $200 on green fees somewhere that you would rather be playing.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Thanks Garth, didn't realize it was only 2 rounds guaranteed... so I guess the only answer is don't join the tourney and spend the $200 on green fees somewhere that you would rather be playing.
    Exactly.

I don't think there is any way to solve it. As you said those who want to play will play, those who don't will always find a reason not to. You (marcf) and I like the competition so we play (not always well but that's a whole other thread!).

The increase for me is not a significant factor in determining if I will play or not, how I am playing around the 3rd week of May will likely determine my entry or not.

Garth

OK here's how to solve it:

Get us on 4 private tracks (non-Clublink) -- I can think of a couple let me know if you've heard of them:

Augusta
    Congressional
    Bay Hill
    Cog Hill
    Last edited by GarthM; 03-25-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: thought of a way to solve it!

There is no real solution. It's going to be hard to avoid the Clublink courses since they are more tournament friendly than most of the other private courses in town so the Clublink members are always going to get stuck.

I think one year three of the four rounds were at Clublink courses as an example.

Exactly.

I don't think there is any way to solve it. As you said those who want to play will play, those who don't will always find a reason not to. You (marcf) and I like the competition so we play (not always well but that's a whole other thread!).

The increase for me is not a significant factor in determining if I will play or not, how I am playing around the 3rd week of May will likely determine my entry or not.

Garth
    You (marcf) and I like the competition so we play (not always well but that's a whole other thread!). lol...as Homer Simpson said, "it's funny because it's true."

Thanks G, now I am depressed, youve managed to un-do a whole winters worth of counselling about my tournament golf game, with one sentence!

There is no real solution. It's going to be hard to avoid the Clublink courses since they are more tournament friendly than most of the other private courses in town so the Clublink members are always going to get stuck.

I think one year three of the four rounds were at Clublink courses as an example.
    Yup the Clublink Open I called it.....

You (marcf) and I like the competition so we play (not always well but that's a whole other thread!). lol...as Homer Simpson said, "it's funny because it's true."

Thanks G, now I am depressed, youve managed to un-do a whole winters worht of counselling about my tournament golf game, with one sentence!
    Sorry dude....are we on 5-5-5?

Thread Information