100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Citizen Lineup 2009

Anyone hear of any rumours on the lineup/schedule for this year? I know the golfshow is only 2 weeks away and they will announce then, but after hitting balls this weekend I'm really getting the itch to get out there!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've been wondering about this myself.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Anyone hear of any rumours on the lineup/schedule for this year? I know the golfshow is only 2 weeks away and they will announce then, but after hitting balls this weekend I'm really getting the itch to get out there!
    What was your percenatge of fairways hit this weekend? Better than average?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Wow you guys are sooooooo helpful..... I did not miss a fairway this weekend...but I played a par-3 course....don't ask how many greens I hit

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Wow you guys are sooooooo helpful..... I did not miss a fairway this weekend...but I played a par-3 course....don't ask how many greens I hit
    Don't feel bad. Sometimes the lay-up is the right play.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Don't feel bad. Sometimes the lay-up is the right play.
    Wouldn't that be a Fairway hit then?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Not if it's all carry over water and sand.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar

Garth,

I don't know the courses, but the dates for the men are:
    Round 1 June 30
    Round 2 July 16
    Round 3 July 23
    Round 4 July 24

Had to be moved up in the calandar from the traditional end of July finish because one of the reasons is that Golf Quebec has moved the Quebec Amateur to the last week of July (July 28 -30) to correspond with the construction holiday in Quebec and 2 weeks later the RCGA Canadian Amateur is being held in Montreal (Aug 9 - 13).

Should know the courses in a couple of weeks at the golf show as usual. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by marcf; 03-09-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo on one of the dates.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Garth,

I don't know the courses, but the dates for the men are:
    Round 1 June 30
    Round 2 July 10
    Round 3 July 23
    Round 4 July 24

Had to be moved up in the calandar from the traditional end of July finish because one of the reasons is that Golf Quebec has moved the Quebec Amateur to the last week of July (July 28 -30) to correspond with the construction holiday in Quebec and 2 weeks later the RCGA Canadian Amateur is being held in Montreal (Aug 9 - 13).

Should know the courses in a couple of weeks at the golf show as usual. Hope this helps.
    Well it helps a heck of a lot more than the rest of the comments!!!! Not to sound unappreciative, but I doubt the second round is on the 10th, it's a Friday afterall.

Thanks bud!

Garth

Well it helps a heck of a lot more than the rest of the comments!!!! Not to sound unappreciative, but I doubt the second round is on the 10th, it's a Friday afterall.

Thanks bud!

Garth
    Damn, that is supposed to be July 16, not 10.

Now that makes ALOT more sense!

Now that makes ALOT more sense!
    Is 'ALOT' really one word or two? Hmmm, just to throw this string off topic again.

And if I could close this thread I would!!!!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I am sure this was clarified years ago, but as a newcomer to Ottawa... why are these held on Mondays? Is it to discourage a TON of people from playing? It seems stupid to assume that people will take 4 separate Mondays off during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I am sure this was clarified years ago, but as a newcomer to Ottawa... why are these held on Mondays? Is it to discourage a TON of people from playing? It seems stupid to assume that people will take 4 separate Mondays off during the summer.

June 30 - Tuesday
    July 16 - Thursday
    July 23 - Thursday
    July 24 - Friday

No Mondays there! What private club would give up their course on a weekend to an outside event? That is how you piss off the members who pay the bills at the club and whose membership rights out weigh any outside event prioirities. We all have holidays at our jobs (or sick days..lol) and if you want to play, you have to make a choice and prioritize. Mondays are the easiest time for courses to give up to outside events, been that way since the 80's when I was a junior. Everyone wants to play the better courses in all of the regions, so you have to take what you can get for availability.

The men's field at the Citizen is almost always full, so I don't think participation numbers are a problem as the organizors of the event have been able to keep the numbers quite high for years now. I don't think there is a discouraging effect there, at least the numbers don't show it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Is 'ALOT' really one word or two? Hmmm, just to throw this string off topic again.
    To teach this word one time, I taped a 2' high "A" on to the window of the front door of the school and "LOT" on the window of the back door and walked my class from one to the other. "ALOT" mysteriously became "A LOT" after that.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    And if I could close this thread I would!!!!

Ever since your relation status changed I have notice you've become much more sensitive and irritable. Is that just coincidense?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    June 30 - Tuesday
    July 16 - Thursday
    July 23 - Thursday
    July 24 - Friday

No Mondays there!
    As most OVGA tournaments are scheduled on Mondays for the reasons mentioned in your post, perhaps the Citizen organizers considered this in their planning??

Just received my Flagstick e-notice and the course lineups are there.

Men:
    June 30 - Tuesday - Kanata
    July 16 - Thursday - Stonebridge
    July 23 - Thursday - Marshes
    July 24 - Friday - Rivermead

Women:
    June 29 - Tuesday - Predator
    July 15 - Thursday - Loch March

Hmmmm...interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Just received my Flagstick e-notice and the course lineups are there.

Men:
    June 30 - Tuesday - Kanata
    July 16 - Thursday - Stonebridge

Would have been great if you take out Stonebridge and put Eagle Creek in the mix again.

Would have been great if you take out Stonebridge and put Eagle Creek in the mix again.
    I am getting the feeling that people don't like Stonebridge around here. I don't mind it other than some of their ridiculous greens.

As someone who plays SB a lot, I think the ridiculous green comment is way overblown. In the first couple of years they kept them much faster than they have been for years and if you were a bad putter, you suffered.

I have played at several other courses in the area with greens that could be considered equally ridiculous.

Not to get bogged down in the whole "SB has ridiculous greens" but the problem IMHO is that you can hit a good shot and get severely penalized by missing by a few feet.

Not to get bogged down in the whole "SB has ridiculous greens" but the problem IMHO is that you can hit a good shot and get severely penalized by missing by a few feet.
    Bang on Garth. You are very correct, thus why a lot of the players in the Citizen have grumbled about this course in the past.

Just my opinion.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. The greens are SB are simply not as hard as people make them out to be.

Miss in the right spot and you will be fine. Get greedy and miss in the wrong spot and you pay for it. Sounds about right to me.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Gee Garth, sounds like what they say on the PGA tour to me Isn't golf supposed to test your shot making ability?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Gee Garth, sounds like what they say on the PGA tour to me Isn't golf supposed to test your shot making ability?
    Maybe I sound like a sunday afternoon soundbite from someone who shot a bad round, but so be it.

I have played many different courses and I have played SB a fair bit (estimate at least 40 times), especially when it first opened, and to me (as I said in my post) "IN MY HONEST OPINION" some of the greens at SB are unreasonably unfair. I'm sorry but when you absolutely CANNOT hold a green with a well struck wedge on a par-5, there is a problem.

Just look at what they were forced to do a few years back. There used to be 4 zones on each green for pin placements (on the scorecard), now there are only three I believe (it's been a while since I played there admittedly -- it might be down to 4 from 6?). There just are not enough places to put the pins because of the severity of many of the slopes.

No offense intended either, but when playing a casual Saturday round, repeated "bad bounces " (aka good design to some other's) are one thing. In a competitive round they are completely another. Which, as Marc mentioned, is why many Citizen players have criticized the choice of SB in the past, myself included.

I am more than willing to take the blame for me hitting a bad shot. Happens more often than I like. But I shouldn't have to put up with what I consider some poor design decisions on top of it.

By 2 cents. I'm done on this one, it's all be said before...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I agree about some of the greens at SB and thus the reason I do not play there.... but I figured you needed your chain yanked so I took the opportunity
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I have to agree with Garth on this one (surprise, surprise based on my previous post). That is all I am going to say about this...I am done.

Thread Information