100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Clubfitting - Pricing?

Never had clubs fitted before, so naturally I'm probably playing with clubs that aren't 100% suited to me. I'm wondering how much it costs (roughly) to have clubs fitted? Anyone have any idea?

Thx.
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Never had clubs fitted before, so naturally I'm probably playing with clubs that aren't 100% suited to me. I'm wondering how much it costs (roughly) to have clubs fitted? Anyone have any idea?

Thx.
    Dan
    dbleber:
    Try the one from golfworks which is free, at least you have something. Also at CB you can get fitted for about 75 bucks.
    Denny

Andru

Thx.
    Dan
    Go to golftown or kevin haimes and get fitted by a cpga pro. I think it's about 65 bucks or the price of an hour lesson. You'll have to call.

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Try the one from golfworks which is free, at least you have something. Also at CB you can get fitted for about 75 bucks.
    Denny
    huh? The one at golfworks is free?! I got clubs I want to get fitted to me.... ie lie angles, shaft lengths...

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Go to golftown or kevin haimes and get fitted by a cpga pro. I think it's about 65 bucks or the price of an hour lesson. You'll have to call.
    Even if Golfworks is free, I would be inclined to go to a CPGA pro for sure. So the cost is somewhere between $50-100 it seems? Does this include the actual trimming of the clubs, or just the analysis?

Thx.
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Even if Golfworks is free, I would be inclined to go to a CPGA pro for sure. So the cost is somewhere between $50-100 it seems? Does this include the actual trimming of the clubs, or just the analysis?

Thx.
    Dan
    I thiknk some places will include the cost of the fitting session if you purchase the clubs.

Lob Wedge Keating is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by yun
    huh? The one at golfworks is free?! I got clubs I want to get fitted to me.... ie lie angles, shaft lengths...
    A co-worker just got fitted at Golftown.
    free if you buy a set of clubs over $600.

Cheers.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Dan, this is sort-of related. GOLFTOWN gives a Free Swing Analysis when you register on-line. I did the opening weekend & it just arrived in the mail today so leave a couple of weeks for the mail.

"Get your swing analyzed with one of our CPGA Teaching Pros via a Videotaped lesson. Normal value is about $30 (so I guessing about a 30 minute session?).
    Appointments must be booked ahead."

I'll let you know,
    George

PS: Kudo's to their service. I bought one of their opening NIKE Drivers ($599 going for $200) & left in the corner of the kitchen for three weeks. Never even took the headcover off! After watching my current driver be my best club down South, I brought it back & it was cheerfully accepted for full refund.
    Good way to hook me

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yun
    dbleber:
    The one at golfworks is free and it only gives you an idea of what you are looking for. I just mentioned it because some people (like me) like to have a heads up or an idea of what they need before they go to a pro/clubmaker for fitting. The one from golfworks gives you some pretty detailed advice and for free could be very useful. It does not however replace the knowledge or the customization that a pro/clubmaker can give you.
    Denny

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar

Club Fitting Experience

Hi Dan,

This is my third attempt at replying - disregad the earlier ones.

I am currently getting a set of clubs made after a long research period. I am surprized at the large number of clubmakers in the area that are nothing but 'cut and glue' guys. This is a shame as getting a set of custom fit clubs is the best approach. Golf remains an equipment game and you need kit that is right for you.

I decided on Don Irving at Artisan Golf. He is a small operation but one of the best I have seen. I have found that smaller (but qualified) shops also tend to let you have more control on the set makeup. Examples: I am a big fan of utility woods (to replace the longer irons) and not many manufacturers let you buy partial iron sets. I also want to limit my wedge count to 3, including the lob wedge, so I am keen to increase the loft on the shorter irons (8, 9) to reduce the traditional gap by decreasing the loft on the gapwedge. That's right - no pitching wedge. I also want to have influence on the SW bounce - the sand we have in most local courses do not require an 11-12 * bounce. This also lets you have an extra wedge for the fairway.

I digress. The cost for Don's services is nominally $125 for a full set fitting. I say nominally, as you will leave the first session knowing this is the right way to go. Part of the cost is therefore captured in the clubs you buy (all of it if you buy a full set).

He and I hare working through a four step process:

1. Swing analysis. He puts you on the launch monitor and lets the numbers show you the results. Swing your own set as a starting point, then he selects from a wide selection of pre-made trail clubs to let you know what you could be doing with a custom set.

2. Set make-up. We spent about 2 hours talking through clubs, lofts, lengths flexes, shafts, etc. Essentially, what is the best make-up of the 13 clubs (less putter) for my swing.

3. Sampling. He makes two or three clubs to your specs. You come back and see what you think. I just finished this phase and was amazed at the quality. Al the clubs swing exactly the same. Sweet.

4. Pick up your new set.

As far as I am concerned, there is no other way.
    ________
    List Of Subaru Transmissions Specifications
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge
    I am currently getting a set of clubs made after a long research period. I am surprized at the large number of clubmakers in the area that are nothing but 'cut and glue' guys. This is a shame as getting a set of custom fit clubs is the best approach. Golf remains an equipment game and you need kit that is right for you.
    Good point.. club makers are not club fitters no more than the guys changing the tires at Canadian Tire is a Formula1 mechanic.
    What you must be willing to pay for is the professional service of the fitter... Some clubmakers may be good fitters, others are not. Unfortunately, the worst fitters I know happen to post as CPGA members. When you look for a good fitter, work with a guy who likes the challenge and is willing to give you time to measure and fit. It is much a trial and error job.
    The corollary is that you must be willing to pay for the time you want this guy to give you. There is nothing like a free fitting in town... There is a lot of sophisticated salesmanship to push advertising loaded equipment... that are in fact "clones" of what you see on the PGA Tour. Sometimes the discussion about clones should focus on the two cloning methods.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Good point.. club makers are not club fitters no more than the guys changing the tires at Canadian Tire is a Formula1 mechanic.
    What you must be willing to pay for is the professional service of the fitter... Some clubmakers may be good fitters, others are not. Unfortunately, the worst fitters I know happen to post as CPGA members. When you look for a good fitter, work with a guy who likes the challenge and is willing to give you time to measure and fit. It is much a trial and error job.
    When I was down in Myrtle Beach, I had a coupon for a free fitting session. The guy was excellent. He wasn't the club-maker though. They worked together to make the product. The fitter checked your swing, mechanics, lie, frequencies, wieghting, etc. He was also a PGA Pro. He then talked about where your game was, where you wanted it to go, any weaknesses that you thought were there and any that he saw from the time he spent with you. Then he talked about club selection. After that, he passed the info onto the certified club maker and out came the clubs. It worked very well. The coupon was for an hour, but he easily spent 1.5-2 hours with each of us.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information