CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood marcosan is on a distinguished road

Can I use a GPS and also a laser range finder at the same time?

Hi,
    I simply have a question regarding rangefinders. I would like to know if it legal for me to carry and use both a GPS rangefinder and also a laser rangefinder at the same time?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    It is not a problem as long as they don't measure anything other than distance.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    And that the Local Rule permitting their use is in force at the course or competition you are playing.

True AAA although I have a feeling that there are very few clubs that have implemented it in their local rules, if they have any. It is in our clubs local rules.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by marcosan View Post
    Hi,
    I simply have a question regarding rangefinders. I would like to know if it legal for me to carry and use both a GPS rangefinder and also a laser rangefinder at the same time?
    It's always wise to get a second opinion.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    My question would be why? If they both give you the same yardage then I guess you will feel confident in that yardage being true. If however they give two different yardages, then which one would you choose as the correct or most reliable yardage? And if you believe that device to be more reliable then why not just carry that one device and save yourself the time, cash and any chance of doubt.

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    this is someone i would not want to be behind on a course.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I have and cary both. I prefer the GPS for sure, but there are times such as when you are in the forrest on an overvast day, that the readings can be questionable. Then I'll use the rangefinder. I really don't need it very often.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I have and cary both. I prefer the GPS for sure, but there are times such as when you are in the forrest on an overvast day, that the readings can be questionable. Then I'll use the rangefinder. I really don't need it very often.
    One might question how accurate of a reading is really needed when you're playing your shot from that deep in the forest.

I have no problem with people using these devices, and I'm actually planning on getting my paws on that Garmin G5 if it gets some good reviews, but if I ended up behind someone who was double checking their GPS readings with a range finder, I might be inclined to forgo proper etiquette and have a few choice words with him/her.

Obviously, I know this isn't what you're advocating Dan, but I have seen people who use these devices without any hope of actually dialing in their shot to whatever number is showing on the screen. It's always nice to wait on someone who is verifying that they are indeed standing at the 100 yard marker, and then miss the green by 20 yards.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

My empty 'change pocket' tells me that you NEVER have to use the rangefinder.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Perhaps I should have said "on a hole that cuts through the forest with trees close by, that may interfere with satellite reception"

Indio, I await your challenge. Unfortunately I won't have mpare to carry me around the course next time.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Indio, I await your challenge. Unfortunately I won't have mpare to carry me around the course next time.
    And I won't have 'Junior' to carry me around either so we are even!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Played with guy yesterday that had a gps and with good size greens he was often off at least a club if the pin was front or back. He kept asking me for the yardage to the flagstick
    Had a cart on Monday with a gps and it was very accurate to the flagstick so I didn't have to use my rangefinder much. They must have had a sensor to read off.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcosan View Post
    Hi,
    this is a two-part answer. Yes you can, but the caveat being you may not if you are either playing in my group or anywhere in a group in front of me!

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    I have both, and use both - but never at the same time.

I find the laser more useful on Clublink courses that have the reflector on the flagstick. I use the GPS when on other courses.

The main purpose of these devices is to speed up play. If using either (or both) slows you down, then you (and all those behind you) are better off without it .
    ________
    Ch80
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Thread Information