100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Spezza - Argggg!

I know nobody will take him, but Spezza has to go. He is simply not getting it. I am sick of all of the "offensive creativity" nonesense as an excuse for the give aways. He does not hustle, refuses to get dirty in the corners, and will not stop the give away plays. Everyone else has picked it up somewhat since the coaching change, but Jason is doing the same crap.

I know a bunch will respond saying he is still young, has so much potential, blah blah blah. But he is not progressing. Time to dump the salary and move on (if only it were that easy).
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    He did score a beauty last night though (on his own net!) Had to get that one in for all of the McCabe hate when he popped one in last year or two years ago.

For as fast as the guy is, he uses his stick an awful lot too to do dumb things. I mean, he borderline slashed 3 guys and speared one guy and got one penalty for it. Then the play at the end of the game when the Leafs scored, probably wasn't a penalty, but the refs were probably so used to seeing the more heinous stuff he was doing and decided to just give him a penalty.

Bryan Murray also said last night that he wouldn't be trading him before the deadline and Jason is the kind of person that would have "more value in the summer". I would think that he's going to wait and see where they finish the year since they'll be out of the Tavares/Hedman sweepstakes (probably) and might use him to trade up. I think his no trade clause kicks in July 1?

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Problem is, come July 1 his NTC kicks in. I have oved spezza from day 1 but last night he stunk it up, and against the ;eafs to boot. AARGGGHHH
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Yep, and because of that NTC kicking in, I think that's why Murray said he would have more "value" in the summer (re: NHL entry draft).

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have voiced my opinion about this player many times. He will not change here and if he gets traded it might make him change his mind. Murray has received no calls about him. I personally think that he is playing like this on purpose so he will be scouted and not recommended by other teams. Murray and we are stuck with him, that is really bad news. I watched him closely in the last couple of games I was at the Bank and he really shows little interest in hustling back, getting dirty, he is playing scared and always shies away from anything physical. We would be better off without him. I really hope he gets benched soon, he says all the right things but never does what the coach wants. Vs TO there was pressure on Ottawa every time his line was on the ice because he does not follow his man and so its like playing with a man short. The D-men must love him.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

For once I agree he is not improving and I am very dissapointed to se him wasting his talent.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    There have been many comparisons to Stevie Y with Spezza but Bowman had a lot to do with turning Steve Y around. Spezza is a different animal. He has the size and the talent but it is obvious has not the defensive skill to do what is required for him to be effective at both ends of the ice. If he committs to learning how to fight along the boards, play his man in his zone and minimizes turn overs he would be one of the best and most sought after players in the NHL. It will not take much for him to do this but it is obvious he has not made that committment yet. It may take him playing on another team to get him to do that. Good Luck!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    ... I personally think that he is playing like this on purpose so he will be scouted and not recommended by other teams. ....
    Just not sure i get what you mean here, why would he play poorly on purpose so as to not be recommended by other teams, you man you think he is playing bad so that he can stay in Ottawa? what is the advantage of this?

More likely he is playing the way he has always played, he puts up some points sure, but it costs a team lot to get those points, now when you have a very solid defensive core, you can look past his faults, but when weaker defensively, he is highlighted as he is being this year.

There was a reason all those years back the Jacques Martin did not want to rush him up to the big league, to me it is nice to see he was not wrong. Spezza is a liability unless on a team with very strong defence and goaltending.

The thing that drives me nuts is when he does play some hard nose north-south hockey (yes, it has happened) he is effective. He has the speed and size, and when the opportunity presents itself he has the talent to do damage. I wonder if it is the fact he was so good as a kid that loafing around is a habit he just can't shake?

It's the laziness that is driving me "primate excrement" right now. The stick related penalties are a clear symptom of the problem. The refs know it and do not hesitate to call him as soon as he does one of his lazy phantom hooks.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    1) He's lazy. He won't pursue the puck. He wants the puck on his stick at all times, but when he doesn't have it, or loses it, he expects others to get it back for him.

2) He's a cruiser. He'll take a few strides and glide. He doesn't stop and start to change directions, he loops. Hence all the stick infractions.

3) When he does skate, he's got a terrible stride. He looks like he's taking a dump in the woods. His butt is way too low, and his feet are too far apart. He wastes all kinds of energy because he's too low to the ice. He's tall, he needs to skate taller. You want to watch a guy his size who's a great skater? Watch Rick Nash.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    All of you have commented constructively and coegently about his 'shortcomings' and l'iabilities'.
    The only thing I can add is this WTF doen't he shoot at the net or at least hold the puck instead of doing his spezzial (no look back pass) which resulted in turnover a(and deja-vu) for the opponents to score on the breakaway. His athletic buddy (Emery) is not there to save his butt anymore. IMHO.

Oh yea. it beggars my mind to know that he is one of the 5 highest paid NHLers this season.
    Golf is the Total System Integration of............The Sum of All Parts............

"Just not sure i get what you mean here, why would he play poorly on purpose so as to not be recommended by other teams, you man you think he is playing bad so that he can stay in Ottawa? what is the advantage of this?"

Its just an opinion but I was thinking that his no trade clause kicks in on July 1 and so he does not want the shame or controversy of being traded prior to this date so the best way is to look like crap (or not try to hard) and then the scouts will not be interested in acquiring him. Murray even said he had received no calls regarding Jason on Sat night prior to the game on CBC. I guess its working.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    1) He's lazy. He won't pursue the puck. He wants the puck on his stick at all times, but when he doesn't have it, or loses it, he expects others to get it back for him.

2) He's a cruiser. He'll take a few strides and glide. He doesn't stop and start to change directions, he loops. Hence all the stick infractions.

3) When he does skate, he's got a terrible stride. He looks like he's taking a dump in the woods. His butt is way too low, and his feet are too far apart. He wastes all kinds of energy because he's too low to the ice. He's tall, he needs to skate taller. You want to watch a guy his size who's a great skater? Watch Rick Nash.
    I agree, that is frustrating, he played 2 great road games, one in Oct vs Buffalo and another vs Calgary (January?) and he looked great. I was impressed with his efforts and he even was putting his body on people, not hard but enough to make them make a play. Then zilch for the next 20 games. Watching him backcheck is a joke, he is always the last one back and never finds his man but looking for the puck. He cannot have much repsect in the locker room from his teamates. The coach has to put him in the stands although I am sure nothing will make this guy do anything different. He has always played this way and I am not sure what anyone can do to make him play differently. Does he even know how?
    Lefty Lucas

but what would be his reason for not wanting to be traded? why would he dog it to not be traded? I would think you would want to get off a sinking ship, specially with his selfish personality, and go to a place where you might win? or if you don’t care about winning, then a place where it is nicer to play, like one of the southern cities that have no pressure and nice climates?

Good point golfott, who knows whats in the guys brain
    Lefty Lucas

Are we kidding ourselves about a trade, he is locked into a 7 yr deal at big money and with a no trade clause
    Lefty Lucas

I am in no way a fan of spezza, but he does have some value. As i was pointing out above, a team that is strong defensively, with good goaltending, can afford to take more risk with forwards who are only offensive minded.

hard thing as everyone knows is trading a guy who makes that much money, you would have to eat a big contract coming back your way, and who has someone like that they want rid off.

When the sens were playing better defensively, not many people were to concerned with spezzas liabilities, he has not changed his game much, but the team has changed and now he stands out.

This team really misses chara, he was really a big part of this team and since he left it has just been obvious that the sens are not a top team at all. As you can see in other teams (tampa) good offensive talent will not win anything without blue line and goaltending help.

Spezza to Vancouver (although they need a bit of defensive help, but great goaltending), or Anaheim, they could use him, but do they have anyone they can send back?

Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post
    Spezza to Vancouver (although they need a bit of defensive help, but great goaltending), or Anaheim, they could use him, but do they have anyone they can send back?
    Any picks would suffice for me. Just offloading that massive salary would be a step forward. What happens when the salary cap goes down in 2 years (and it will go way down)? We need the cap room.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    What happens when the salary cap goes down in 2 years (and it will go way down)? We need the cap room.
    This is a bit off topic, but aren't salaries and the cap tied to a specific percentage of league revenues? If the cap/league revenue goes down, doesn't player salary go down as well? I thought players have had to increase their payments to the escrow pool in the second half of this season to account for an anticipated drop in league revenues this year.

yes, exactly, the reduction in the cap is tied to league revenues , and salaries are a percentage of that

now as far as picks for spezza, now way, too much salary going one way, sens would have to get salary back, and after a game like tonight, he is not going anywhere. and when Kuba goes, where does that leave the sens on defense? I think it is time to face the music and look at the man behind all the deciions in the last couple of years

As a plus last night I was very impressed with him coming to Heatley's aid after Phaneuf elbowed Heatley. Spezza actually tried to fight, he lost, but he came to a teammates aid and got a lot of props from it from the rest of his team.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    As a plus last night I was very impressed with him coming to Heatley's aid after Phaneuf elbowed Heatley. Spezza actually tried to fight, he lost, but he came to a teammates aid and got a lot of props from it from the rest of his team.
    Replace "elbowed" with clean shoulder check and your statement would be true.

Heater would probably be the first to admit he shouldn't be cutting to the centre of the ice with his head down like that.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Watch it again. The elbow clearly came up and out on the follow-through.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I've seen it...

hitting someone and leading with the elbow - elbowing
    hitting someone with the shoulder and bringnig your arm up in the follow through - not elbowing
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

None the less I was proud of him.

clean hit, nice hit, reminds of the jersey devils stevens era.

now sure nice to see spezza jumping in, but again, not his place, he has to learn what his role is, and then produce in that role on a consistent basis. but like you say, at least he tried something, and hey, it did keep him off the ice for 17 minutes so no bad plays durring that time

best thing abou the game last night, gettinga chance to watch possibly the best all around player right now ( or at least top 3) iggy is spectacular, this guy does all that, and look athis line mates, not bad, but WOW if he had a top 3 center man, imagine what he could do. I say now, he had better be captain of team canada come 2010 or else they are missing the boat.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    None the less I was proud of him.
    was thinking the same thing! Coach probably wasn't happy having the #1 centre in the box for the last 17 minutes of the game, but I think he showed a lot to his team.

On the other hand isn't this what we are trying to get rid of in the league?? A clean hit that leads to a 'fight'? Ya i know that's not a fight, but it was a clean hit why do we need a fight because of it?

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    was thinking the same thing! Coach probably wasn't happy having the #1 centre in the box for the last 17 minutes of the game, but I think he showed a lot to his team.

On the other hand isn't this what we are trying to get rid of in the league?? A clean hit that leads to a 'fight'? Ya i know that's not a fight, but it was a clean hit why do we need a fight because of it?
    I was at the game, had no issue with the hit and the resulting fight. Spezza shows guts and being a team player for it. What I didn't like was what he did just before and just after his 17 minutes in the box: giveaways!!! He has to stop that. 15 turnovers from the Sens that game; 4-5 of them were his. A few of them led to goals.

exactly, might as well mandate hitting out of the game the way it has been going lately. everytime a hit is thrown and the recipient is knocked down, winded etc there has to be a scrum and a possible fight. If this is the case, then the players are saying they do not want hitting in the game so take it out and see where the great game of hockey is then.

Thread Information