CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter griff25 is on a distinguished road

Moving from Australia

Hi All

Just thought I would introduce myself and hopefully get some advice before my impending move.

I am moving to Ottawa in April from Australia and will be living in the New Edinburgh area not far from downtown.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some golf courses with public access nearby - I intend to join a club once I am settled but would like to try a few courses first.

I'm also interested in getting an idea of average membership fees and typical membership types (5day, weekend etc) as I understand they may be a little different to Australia.

Thanks in advance - after reading some of the old posts, its great to see such a passionate golfing community is alive in Ottawa.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Welcome. You'll be arriving just as our season is getting started. Be sure to look through the Featured Courses section in the main menu.

Also look at OttawaGolf Club (also in the menu) It's a good way to save money and play a variety of courses.

Hope you love Ottawa as much as I do!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I live in that part of town and depending on how close you consider nearby to be, there aren't that many good public courses close. However, within a 30 minute driving radius there are plenty of nice courses to choose from.

As far as member courses go there's quite a large range of prices. Most member courses are "full" membership, i.e. you pay an initiation fee, yearly dues, plus a food/beverage minimum. To give you an idea of pricing you can check the Clublink website. Other member courses that you might consider are Outaouais and Rivermead.

Some of the public access courses offer playing memberships, no dues or initiation, that are like what you describe. The featured courses page of this site is a good place to start.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The really cool thing is that your ball will now spiral to the bottom of the cup in a counter-clockwise direction.

Congrats on the move! See you on the links!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Welcome to Ottawa. Being active on the board will expose you to alot of great people that want to play golf. There's never a shortage of folks on here looking for a playing partner.
    As Kilroy mentioned, visit the OttawaGolf Club link it show cases the golf courses in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Welcome. You'll be arriving just as our season is getting started. Be sure to look through the Featured Courses section in the main menu.

Also look at OttawaGolf Club (also in the menu) It's a good way to save money and play a variety of courses.

Hope you love Ottawa as much as I do!
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    First of all...why would you move from Australia to Ottawa, should it not be the other way around?? Ha Ha Ha...
    2nd of all...welcome to the sight..

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by griff25 View Post
    Hi All

Just thought I would introduce myself and hopefully get some advice before my impending move.

I am moving to Ottawa in April from Australia and will be living in the New Edinburgh area not far from downtown.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some golf courses with public access nearby - I intend to join a club once I am settled but would like to try a few courses first.

I'm also interested in getting an idea of average membership fees and typical membership types (5day, weekend etc) as I understand they may be a little different to Australia.

Thanks in advance - after reading some of the old posts, its great to see such a passionate golfing community is alive in Ottawa.
    You seem to be making the same move as I just did. I was in Perth for a year going to school, now I moved back to Canada in Ottawa. You will find that courses of similar caliber will be noticeably more expensive here unfortunately. If you tell me the courses that you are used to playing in Perth I have probably played them, so I can give you some similar courses in the Ottawa area, condition wise.

Are you used to playing courses like The Cut and Links at Kennedy Bay, or more in the order of Wembley and Collier Park?

P.S. if you have not played 'The Cut', be sure to play it before you leave Perth you will not regret it!!! Its in Port Bouvard and is unbelievable, and less than $80 with a cart.
    www.the-cut.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    First of all...why would you move from Australia to Ottawa, should it not be the other way around?? Ha Ha Ha...
    2nd of all...welcome to the sight..
    Simple answer - there is one thing I love more than golf, and she's living in Ottawa!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I will be sure to check out the OttawaGolf club as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    You seem to be making the same move as I just did. I was in Perth for a year going to school, now I moved back to Canada in Ottawa. You will find that courses of similar caliber will be noticeably more expensive here unfortunately. If you tell me the courses that you are used to playing in Perth I have probably played them, so I can give you some similar courses in the Ottawa area, condition wise.

Are you used to playing courses like The Cut and Links at Kennedy Bay, or more in the order of Wembley and Collier Park?

P.S. if you have not played 'The Cut', be sure to play it before you leave Perth you will not regret it!!! Its in Port Bouvard and is unbelievable, and less than $80 with a cart.
    Dave,

My father is a member at Joondalup CC so I probably play there 15-20 times a year and love it. Otherwise it's mainly public courses like Collier, Burswood and Maylands but this is more out of convenience than enjoyment.

Haven't played the Cut, but am heading down there next Friday for a game and looking forward to it.

Cheers

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to Ottawa!

Quote Originally Posted by griff25 View Post
    Dave,

My father is a member at Joondalup CC so I probably play there 15-20 times a year and love it. Otherwise it's mainly public courses like Collier, Burswood and Maylands but this is more out of convenience than enjoyment.

Haven't played the Cut, but am heading down there next Friday for a game and looking forward to it.

Cheers
    I would say comparable to Joondalup would be The Marshes in the area. You should be able to find a ton of courses similar to Collier and Burswood. I would put Stonebridge, Greensmere, Manderley would be around the same qualities as those in Perth. Enjoy playing The Cut and bring the camera for sure. If you are feeling full of energy, I would try and make it a 36 hole day and stop by Links at Kennedy Bay in Port Kennedy, its a deadly, vastly underrated "true" links-style course for under $45.

Gap Wedge Lumpy_22 is on a distinguished road Lumpy_22's Avatar
    wishing I was moving to Austrailia...... grrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy_22 View Post
    wishing I was moving to Austrailia...... grrrrrrrrr
    great place, I was on the West Coast (Perth) and its one of the nicest places to live, so much that I am (in the process of!) convincing my fiancee to move there in a year to 'try it out' hoping she will like it and we stay full time. If you are a golfer, which you are, and enjoy other outdoor summer sports its unbelievable. I am a cyclist and the city has the best paths I have seen. You can go in excess of 60km in one direction, only having to cross 2 streets, the rest is on bicycle paths that are 99% only used by cyclists. No dealing with walkers/ dogs.

Did I mention that courses are easily about 50% cheaper??!

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I would say comparable to Joondalup would be The Marshes in the area. You should be able to find a ton of courses similar to Collier and Burswood. I would put Stonebridge, Greensmere, Manderley would be around the same qualities as those in Perth. Enjoy playing The Cut and bring the camera for sure. If you are feeling full of energy, I would try and make it a 36 hole day and stop by Links at Kennedy Bay in Port Kennedy, its a deadly, vastly underrated "true" links-style course for under $45.
    Ended up playing Kennedy Bay last week as the Cut had a corporate day, and was disappointed. The course condition wasn't what I was expecting and sounds like they have been in some financial difficulty which has obviously impacted course maintenance. Fairways were rock hard which isn't surprising given our recent weather, but the greens were so spongey I almost lost my ball under the surface on two holes.

Have rounds organised at Cottesloe, Lake Karrinyup and Joondalup before I leave just to get my fix, but good to know the snow may have melted by the time I arrive in Ottawa!

Thread Information