100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bunker Play 2

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

Bunker Play 2

Now how about this: Player is in a green side bunker and hits it out onto the green. The shot didnt carry as far as he would have liked, and as the ball starts to roll back towards the bunker, the player slams his club into the sand in anger. The ball comes to rest back in the bunker... is he not given a penalty for grounding his club? is this different from testing the sand with the rake?

Read the first sentence of 13-4 and the question carefully.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Now how about this: Player is in a green side bunker and hits it out onto the green. The shot didnt carry as far as he would have liked, and as the ball starts to roll back towards the bunker, the player slams his club into the sand in anger. The ball comes to rest back in the bunker... is he not given a penalty for grounding his club? is this different from testing the sand with the rake?

Read the first sentence of 13-4 and the question carefully.
    13-4/35.5 Ball Played from Bunker onto Grass Bank; Player Hits Sand with Club; Ball Then Rolls Back into Bunker
    Q. A player plays from a bunker and the ball lands on the grass bank of the bunker. Before the ball comes to rest, the player swings his club into the sand, after which the ball rolls back into the bunker.
    Rule 13-4b prohibits touching the ground in a hazard with a club when the ball lies in the hazard. Does the player incur a penalty under this Rule even though the ball was outside the bunker when the club was swung into the sand?
    A. No. However, if the club was still touching the sand when the ball rolled back into the bunker, a breach of Rule 13-4 occurred, and any doubt on this point should be resolved against the player.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

That is just showing off. The words in the rule itself are sufficient.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    That is just showing off. The words in the rule itself are sufficient.
    Not really showing off, but I know what you mean. I enjoy digging through the decisions. Sometimes it's easier to find a shoe that fits if you look at the clearance rack.

That being said, I'm a practical/visual learner and have a harder time with the theoretical aspect. I think I need to put the "big book" away for a while and concentrate more on the main document when searching for answers. Good practice.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Not really showing off, but I know what you mean. I enjoy digging through the decisions. Sometimes it's easier to find a shoe that fits if you look at the clearance rack.

That being said, I'm a practical/visual learner and have a harder time with the theoretical aspect. I think I need to put the "big book" away for a while and concentrate more on the main document when searching for answers. Good practice.
    Yes. I have only rarely had to resort to the Decisions when out in the field. I never carry it when playing but always when officiating.

Pitching Wedge Crackberry is on a distinguished road
    The USGA rules must be different. The player I saw do this in an event lost the event by 1 because of this penalty.

I played most of my golf in the US. Sorry to create the confusion.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackberry View Post
    The USGA rules must be different.
    Don't think so. If you have a copy of the Book of Decisions the second page indicates that "Since 1951, the USGA and the R&A have been meeting regularly in order to establish a uniform set of rules."

There are decisions that are applicable only in the USGA's jurisdiction but they pertain to things like, clubs face markings, balls not on conforming list, flag stick dimensions, advice in college tournaments, and so on. Nothing relevant to the basic rules under which we all play.

The USGA rules must be different. The player I saw do this in an event lost the event by 1 because of this penalty.

I played most of my golf in the US. Sorry to create the confusion.
    What exactly did he do?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I recall seeing Jesper Parnevik in a tournament use his foot to quickly smooth out the "divot" he had just taken with a bit of a fat sand wedge shot from a greenside bunker, and he was not penalized because he did it before the ball returned to the trap.
    Andrew

Pitching Wedge Crackberry is on a distinguished road
    What exactly did he do?
    We were playing in an NCAA regional event in the late 90s. The guy I was paired with had a 1 shot lead going into the 54th hole and hit his approach into a greenside bunker. His first bunker shot made it up to the top of a ridge on the green but it didn't quite stay there. As it rolled down towards the fringe, he released a little anger in the bunker (soft fluffy sand) and when the ball stopped rolling, it was back in the bunker. Another coach informed a rules official and he was set with a 1 shot penalty, which was after he got up and down for 5. This lead to a 6 and he missed the playoff.

Now... this wouldn't be the first time there was a bad ruling in collegiate golf.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    ...and hit his approach into a greenside bunker. His first bunker shot made it up to the top of a ridge on the green but it didn't quite stay there. As it rolled down towards the fringe, he released a little anger in the bunker (soft fluffy sand) and when the ball stopped rolling, it was back in the bunker. Another coach informed a rules official and he was set with a 1 shot penalty, which was after he got up and down for 5. This lead to a 6 and he missed the playoff.

Now... this wouldn't be the first time there was a bad ruling in collegiate golf.
    Decision 13-4/35.5
    Q. A player plays from a bunker and the ball lands on the grass bank of the bunker. Before the ball comes to rest, the player swings his club into the sand, after which the ball rolls back into the bunker. Rule 13-4b prohibits touching the ground in a hazard with a club when the ball lies in the hazard. Does the player incur a penalty under this Rule even though the ball was outside the bunker when the club was swung into the sand?

A. No. However, if the club was still touching the sand when the ball rolled back into the bunker, a breach of Rule 13-4 occurred, and any doubt on this point should be resolved against the player.

And, the penalty is 2 strokes, not 1.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 02-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Thread Information