100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Maui, Hawaii Golf advise...

Anyone golf in Maui? I'm travelling there in about a month and wondering waht everyone's experience is. How reasonable, or unreasonable are the golf prices. I'd like to play a round or two. How hard is it to get one this time of year?
    Thansk!!

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road

Hey Smoothie .. Aloha Ka Kou !!!

Born n raised in Hawaii ..
    I'm in Las Vegas now though ...

Maui has great golf .. and alotta other stuffs ..
    Wailea Resort offers 3 courses. All 3 are are unique to each other.
    Some of (IMHO) the best golf on Maui. Any one of them is a must play! Here's a link ..
    http://www.waileagolf.com/

If costs are of concern, there's always Silversword in Kihei.
    http://courses.golfreview.com/cat/pa...5_3837crx.aspx
    I absolutely loved the course .. fun, and cool *down-home* vibes .. not *stuffy*

And if you really wanna go all out and play where legends have played,
    Kapalua is by far the cream of the crop. Both courses will leave you breathless!
    http://www.kapalua.com/

Oh and umm, in Hawaii, we got good "grinds" (food) also. That's what we call a *plate-lunch*.
    Trust me on this .. .. after a round of golf at Kapalua, you're gonna be hungry!
    There's this place in Lahaina, not far from the course that has the besssst hawaiian grinds.
    It's called Aloha Mixed Plate ..
    http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ew-175077.html
    I bet you go back atleast once before you leave ..

Hope you have a blast .. and please, take lots of photos and post um up!

As they say in Hawaii .. "Maui No Ka Oi" ....

Aloha from Sin City
    Tomi
    “There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games one played in the air, and the other on the ground.” Ben Hogan ..

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Thanks for the help!

Any input on golfing in Honolulu? We'll be stayinh in the Waikiki area for a few days as well. So would consider playing a round there too.
    Thanks!!

Oh Boy ... Waikiki ..

It's no resort course laid out in lava like Mauna Lani, and it's not a golf course with vistas
    like ocean views with caddies .. buuuut .. The Ala Wai Municipal Golf Course in Honolulu,
    right in Waikiki is a must play .. at one time it was (it may still be) the busiest "muni" in the Country!
    http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/des/golf/alawai.htm

It's a bit short and funky, but you have to play it if you're gonna be stayin in Waikiki.
    It's dirt cheap and you'll have a blast. Book today, you might get on tomorrow?

If you'll be getting around by rent-a-car .. please, look up Olomana Golf Links.
    It's on the windward side (Kaneohe/Kailua) and you'll drive through a mountain to get there.
    The view coming down into Kailua from the Pali will take your breath away .. pull over ..
    photo oportunity ..
    Besides .. Olomana was my *home-course* .. I lived 5 min away .. played it everyday
    for like 10 years ..
    http://www.olomanagolflinks.com/content.php?cat=5

Of course, if you're into playing some mean, nasty, really challenging, crazy sick views
    of mountains and ocean scenics .. (and I do mean tough golf) you HAVE to play Ko'olau Golf Course!
    http://koolau.americangolf.com/
    I loved this course! It was one of my top 3 courses. And it's only about 10 min away
    from Olomana!

If you're gonna be in Waikiki for "a few days" you'll at some point need to *get away*.
    That place can kina drive you batty after awhile ..

I assume if you do have a rent-a-car, you'll be driving around the island of Oahu.
    Always bring your clubs with you .. you'll stumble over course after course.
    But do keep an eye on your car if you decide to keep the clubs in the trunk.
    Hawaiian beaches are famous for fast break-ins. Just an FYI.

There's one more course on the Windward side of Oahu, and while I'm at it, might as well make mention.
    And if you're *driving around* it is a must play design in a tropical rainforest,
    much like Ko'olau Golf Course, right around the corner:
    http://www.luanahills.com/
    Luana Hills Country Club is fairly priced and very affordable for what you get.
    They wont mention this but, the two nine holes were actually a part of two 18 hole courses.
    They ran outta money, and well .. ended up with possibly the most odd pair of 9's you'll ever see.
    An absolutle typical Pete Dye .. and at his finest! The back nine will require picture stops.
    You will almost feel like you are not in Hawaii .. but somewhere in The Panama lol.
    Unbeliveable forest golf .. go figure!

I know I've been a bit baised towards The Windward Side of Oahu, it's where I grew up.
    So with that being said, I played a fair share on The Windward Side.
    I've also played every island, and most all of it's courses .. however, I always come back home
    to The Windward Side, and it's magic and the spirit of Windward Oahu .. it has the Mana ..

Between Olomana, Ko'Olau, and Luana Hills, you'll pretty much be blind with Hawaiiana ..
    Waikiki is very busy, expensive, and slowww paced to get anything done.
    Get outta there and enjoy yourself .. lots to do outside of that craziness ..

The wife? may enjoy some shopping while you're out playing ..
    Take her to The Ala Moana Shopping Center, riiiight outside of Waikiki.
    You could lose her for about 3 days, and trust me, she will not miss you ..
    It was once proud to be the largest shopping mall in the country ..

There's also a zoo (kids?) on the opposite end of Waikiki. Fun and relaxing ..

Have fun!
    “There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games one played in the air, and the other on the ground.” Ben Hogan ..

Lob Wedge Juan is on a distinguished road

Maui golf

You'll have a tough time playing at Silversword...it's been called Elleair Golf course for a while (I'm in Maui right now)...and it's not that cheap.
    $ 120 regular play
    $95 twilight
    $20 extra for the cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    You'll have a tough time playing at Silversword...it's been called Elleair Golf course for a while (I'm in Maui right now)...and it's not that cheap.
    $ 120 regular play
    $95 twilight
    $20 extra for the cart.
    Ooops .. I stand corrected then Juan .. mucho gracias!

Tomi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I was there a few years ago. I brought shoes and balls with me. I found a golf shop / clubmaker in a small srtip mall not far from the Shereton across from the Kahanapoli courses near Lahaina. He ran kind of a Corporate Golf thing. He had playing priviledges or memberships to most of the courses on the island. He also had rental clubs . I played a course up in the mountains with some spectacular views and awsome golf ! Clubs and golf was $75.00. A super deal.Sorry, can't remember the names of the places. This guy also offered 2,3 and 4 round packages. Might be worth checking it out.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I played both Kaanapali courses when I was there. Both were a lot of fun. Also played The Dunes at Maui Lani, great course. I wanted to play Kapalua, but it was right before the Mercedes so they were closed.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    If you happen to get over to the island of Lanai (45 min ferry from Lahaina, Maui) you MUST play both courses there...The Challenge at Manele Bay and The Experience at Koele.

Tiger has said The Experience at Koele is one of his favourite courses in the world to play...and The Challenge at Manele Bay easily rivals Pebble Beach. Words can not describe how incredible these two courses are.

Man I love Hawaii.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I was there about 12 years ago. Played Wailea Blue and what was Silversword at the time. Both were in good condition. Twilight rates were reasonable, primetime rates were quite high. Somehow the tour desk lady at the condo complex got me some morning tee times for twilight rates.

I also played the municipal course called Waiehu. It was a little bit scruffy around the edges but had a few very nice holes that were on the ocean and I got paired up with some locals and had an enjoyable afternoon. It was quite reasonably priced.

Thread Information