CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    This is one of the quirks of the way the rules are written.

In this specific case, the original ball is still in play. So, until that ball is either lifted or replaced you can always play it.

The "must" part of Rule 28 governs what you do after you decide to lift/replace the original ball.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Your last sentence makes no sense jv

AAA , soon as the ball is lifted you incur a penalty .. wether you proceed under 1 of the 3 options , or decide to replace the ball as it lay

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I don't think so. The "MUST" condition only applies if you are proceeding under Rule 28.

If you change your mind and play the ball as it lies then you are NOT proceeding under Rule 28 so the conditions don't apply.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Even though there is obvious disagreement with what Kiwi Battler feels should be done with this rule, there is a message for those of us who play in tournaments.

If your ball ends up in what could be a horrendous lie, declare the ball unplayable before looking and if you accidentally move the ball while searching, and it does end up in a lie you later deem to be unplayable, you can avoid the moved ball penalty. Correct?
    If you touch it or move it without continuing under 28, you will be subject to an 18-2 penalty and if you don't replace it , you'll get another.
    You'll get done one way or the other.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Your last sentence makes no sense jv

AAA , soon as the ball is lifted you incur a penalty .. wether you proceed under 1 of the 3 options , or decide to replace the ball as it lay
    Indeed. Just checking that that was what you meant.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Using the word "must" rather than "may" indicates to me that after the player has chosen his course of action, then using one of the three options outlined in Rule 28 is mandatory.
    Since this (Once a player has put a ball into play under an applicable rule, he must continue to proceed under that rule) is true, then this (the player has chosen his course of action) is not true, until the player has put a ball into play under an applicable rule. His choice of action is verbal, but he won't be penalized under Rule 28 until he actually drops the original ball or another ball, using one of the three options. If he picks up the ball, deeming it unplayable, and then decides to play it from where it originally lay, he is penalized under 18-2a, not 28.

If I tell you that I am going to drop a ball that I hit into a lateral water hazard, within two club lengths of the point of entry, am I obligated to do it?

If I hit my ball into some trees from the tee, tee up another and say, "I am going to hit three from the tee," can I change my mind?

Where does it say in the rules that I cannot change my mind about my course of action, BEFORE I put my course of action into effect?

Thread Information