100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road

Can I use a wedge on a green?

Is there a rule against this?
    There have been times when I have a long putt with lots of slope and I have thought, "I should use a wedge to get over the trouble areas."

Can I use a wedge or really any other club on a green?
    I've never done this nor have I seen anyone do it, but it seems that sometimes, it would be to my benefit.

Thanks

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    Is there a rule against this?
    There have been times when I have a long putt with lots of slope and I have thought, "I should use a wedge to get over the trouble areas."

Can I use a wedge or really any other club on a green?
    I've never done this nor have I seen anyone do it, but it seems that sometimes, it would be to my benefit.

Thanks
    As long as it's on the hole being played, yes. That being said, greens keepers don't like it much.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Yes I believe you can. The greenskeeper may not like you very much if you do though.

Proper rules official should clarify though. I am sometimes wrong

Ooops ! you beat me to it lobwedge
    Last edited by little brit; 02-23-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: LobWedge typed faster than me

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Not in the official rules to my knowledge......but I'd be surprized if most courses didn't have a local rule to cover this

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    As long as it's on the hole being played, yes.
    I have heard claimed that 'you can play from a wrong green as long as you use a putter'

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    I have heard claimed that 'you can play from a wrong green as long as you use a putter'
    Sure, as long as you're prepared to play a REALLY low slice.

Actually, that raises an interesting question. I had to look this up...

25-3/1 Status of Half of Double Green Serving Hole Not Being Played
    Q. One half of a U-shaped putting green serves as the 11th green and the other half serves as the 17th green. In play of the 17th hole, if a ball comes to rest on the part of the green serving the 11th hole, does Rule 25-3 (Wrong Putting Green) apply?
    A. No, not unless the Committee divides the green by use of stakes or a line and declares one part to be the green of the 11th hole and the other part to be the green of the 17th hole. The Definition of “Putting Green” gives a Committee this right.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    In 2007 Phil Mickelson used a flop shot when on the green in HSBC Champions event.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I just hope that people who play at my home course aren't reading this. There is a very good reason people think chipping on the green is a no-no. It may be OK by the rules but it is certainly not something anyone wants to see players do.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I just hope that people who play at my home course aren't reading this. There is a very good reason people think chipping on the green is a no-no. It may be OK by the rules but it is certainly not something anyone wants to see players do.
    It's such a rare occurrence, and any damage would be minimal at worst. It's not like people are hitting full shots.

Agreed, but not everyone is skilled enough to not take a divot when chipping from a super tight lie .

If you have the skills... no problem.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I think I will try this when I am playing with Kilroy and Noback at Manderly this year...

Of course, I will replace my divot....

I will smack you.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I have done this before. Sometimes you have no choice...most courses this would never be a problem but if you are on a U shaped green or one with a big corner you may need to get up over the rough.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    If it is part of the rules then why is it frowned upon? Yes, I know the answer but it would seem to me that I have no alternative but to play it from where it lies and use that wedge. It is no different than me having to play a shot that may damage my club.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Rule 1-1 defines how the game is to be played and therefore any club can be used in any given situation, at the player's discretion. An attempt to establish a local rule prohibiting the use of a wedge on a putting green would be contrary to 33-1.

However, the owner/greenskeeper may establish an unofficial local rule stating that, 'You use a wedge on my greens and you're outta here."

I will smack you.
    I think that's one of the funniest things I have read in quite a while.

Agreed, but not everyone is skilled enough to not take a divot when chipping from a super tight lie .

If you have the skills... no problem.
    Anyone taking a divot on the green is not chipping but either pitching or too dangerous to be left on their own.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Too late. On at least two occasions on 9 Central I used a 60* wedge from the front left side of the green to access the pin that was located back, left. It was the only way to get there, given that bad position I had left myself in after my approach shot to the green. Don't worry, Dan, I didn't mark the green, and had I done so, Gerry would have smacked me.

Yes, but you have the skills.

I'd do it if needed, but honestly I'd be nervous. I'd be OK with most of my buddies who play lots doing it too.

For the genuine hacker (hopefully they know who they are) it should be in the "don't try this at home" category.

It is of course, poor design unless the owners are prepared for and accept any resultant damage.
    There is really no need for U shaped greens to give a test of players' chipping skills.

It's not really a "U" shape, but it is a huge green and from where he described it makes sense as an option.

8 Iron ProV007 is on a distinguished road ProV007's Avatar

when bad ideas happen to good people!

Use your putter! I can promise if this is seen by the marshals or GREENS STAFF at Manderley or any other club you will be asked to leave!

It may not be common but it will become more common as the greens get damaged and people feel they have to chip over divots.

Most greens that are large and u shaped have some sort of break that will allow you to lag it to the hole + I would say if you hit a shot in that position on the green you likely don't have the skill to be trying something like that.

You may not like my answer but go talk to a local greens keeper and I'm sure mine is sugar coated compared to what he will tell you

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I will smack you.

To smack:

To touch or caress with the lips, especially as a sign of passion or affection:
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Lob Wedge I 3 putt is on a distinguished road
    go for it! only do it, if it is the right play though!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Glen Mar

It seems every second time I play Glen Mar I'm forced to use a wedge on the 18th hole. Haven't left a mark, yet.

The corollary to this question is: "Can the flag be left in?"

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Sure you can leave the flagstick in but if you hit it you will get a 2 stroke penalty.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I've used a wedge on the green... left a huge divot. I fixed to the best of my abiltiy, called the club house and told them to send a staff member to do a better job and continued my round. If its not against the rules why would i get kicked off for doing it? If they don't like it, do not design a green in such a way tht you can be on the green and don't have a direct like to the hole
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    If they don't want you to use a wedge on the green, they shouldn't build greens where you are required to use one.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    It seems every second time I play Glen Mar I'm forced to use a wedge on the 18th hole. Haven't left a mark, yet.

The corollary to this question is: "Can the flag be left in?"
    I seem to recall that Glenmar had a specific rule regarding that (I think silly) horseshoe shaped green. I thought there was a rule on the scorecard that said if you were on the wrong leg of the horshoe you moved the ball without penalty - I cannot recall if you were allowed to move it to the other leg of the horseshoe or if you had to move it to the fairway. Does anyone else recall this?

It would certainly have been a non-conforming local rule.

Thread Information