CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 Ball rule

Pitching Wedge Crackberry is on a distinguished road

1 Ball rule

You're playing in a competitive round and you are using your trusty Titleist 3, ProV1X. You reach into your bag and pull out a dozen mini sharpies (for you sharpie junkies) and mark your ball with a navy blue line through the PROV1X on the 'side' of the ball.

You hit your tee shot on #3 left, just down and hill where you can't see the ball land. As you get to the top of the hill, you see a ball sitting all by itself. You walk up, see the blue line, and hit your shot tight... walk up *** ... and make the putt.

Next hole is a par 3 and you stiff your 4 iron and walk up and mark your ball. As you clean it off you notice that the 3 on your ball is BLACK and not RED.

Now what? Its different for match play and for medal play.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackberry View Post
    You're playing in a competitive round and you are using your trusty Titleist 3, ProV1X. You reach into your bag and pull out a dozen mini sharpies (for you sharpie junkies) and mark your ball with a navy blue line through the PROV1X on the 'side' of the ball.

You hit your tee shot on #3 left, just down and hill where you can't see the ball land. As you get to the top of the hill, you see a ball sitting all by itself. You walk up, see the blue line, and hit your shot tight... walk up *** ... and make the putt.

Next hole is a par 3 and you stiff your 4 iron and walk up and mark your ball. As you clean it off you notice that the 3 on your ball is BLACK and not RED.

Now what? Its different for match play and for medal play.
    If by "one ball rule" you mean that you are required to finish a hole with the ball you started it with (unless otherwise allowed in the rules), then you are correct.

A few questions first. Was the first time you noticed the difference in the colour of the numbers when you marked it on the par 3 green? Do you carry exclusively one brand and type of ball in your bag at all times, no exceptions? Did you change the ball that you finished the previous hole with before teeing off on the next tee? There's a lot of variables in play that need to be identified before a ruling can be made.

Simply, if you carry and play Pro V1x, and nothing else, but you used the same ball to tee off on the par 3 that you holed out with on the previous hole (which turns out to be a Pro V1), and you are certain that your ball that you just marked on the par 3 green is not the same type of ball, then a) under Rule 15-3b in stroke play you are disqualified for failing to correct you error before teeing off at the next tee, or b) under Rule 15-3b in match play you need to inform your opponent of your error and that he wins the last hole.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll have to be more specific.

1 Ball rule as stated in a competitive round where you start with one type of ball and you must finish the event with that type. ProV1 and ProV1X are 2 different types and therefore is a violation of this rule. And yes, I carry only ProV1x balls. Sometimes I hit the Zstar but I make sure when I play an event I'm carrying one or the other.. and only that ball.

So when the player finds his ball after the 3rd hole teeshot, and sees the line, hits it on the green.. and HOLES OUT.. proceeds to the next hole, TEES OFF, and notices on the 4th green, they are in breach of the 1 ball rule, but they are also in violation of holing out with the wrong ball and beginning play on a new hole with the wrong ball. You're right, DQ in stroke play.

In Match play your opponent wins more than just the 3rd hole....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackberry View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll have to be more specific.

1 Ball rule as stated in a competitive round where you start with one type of ball and you must finish the event with that type. ProV1 and ProV1X are 2 different types and therefore is a violation of this rule. And yes, I carry only ProV1x balls. Sometimes I hit the Zstar but I make sure when I play an event I'm carrying one or the other.. and only that ball.

So when the player finds his ball after the 3rd hole teeshot, and sees the line, hits it on the green.. and HOLES OUT.. proceeds to the next hole, TEES OFF, and notices on the 4th green, they are in breach of the 1 ball rule, but they are also in violation of holing out with the wrong ball and beginning play on a new hole with the wrong ball. You're right, DQ in stroke play.

In Match play your opponent wins more than just the 3rd hole....
    Do you play on a tour that has a "one ball rule"? The only tours that I know of that have that type of local rule are Federation of PGA Tour events (PGA Tour, Nationwide, European Tour, etc.) There's nothing in the Rules of Golf about a "one ball rule".
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I have played events with that rule in play. I thought it was a rule in competition and I never knew it was a local. The GLT and CPGA don't inforce it but some tours in the US have played it.

Thread Information