100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road

input needed from golfers...

A friend of mine came to me with an interesting business idea, but I wasn't sure if it would fly, or that there would be enough patrons.

He thinks there are lots of golfers who would like a precise indoor SHORT game practice area over the winter. He described putting greens (all artificial) with useful tools to practice (guiding gates, lines, breaking putts, etc.). He also described a chipping range, with measured out yardage up to 50 yards (yes, its a big place). And a sand trap.

I guess he'd charge like Thunderdome does: you clock in and pay an hourly.

Anyone see this working? It would seem to only work for the winter.

Or anyone been to something like it in another city? I know a few indoor places have opened, and they never seem to survive for long...other than the total-package-Ottawa-athletic-club, which is really MORE than just golf.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Get a liquor license and you'll have business all year long.

Seriously though, I believe this is a great idea. I know for me, I don't feel I get very useful short-game practice on the regular driving range, and that's the part of my game that needs the most work. Given a place with the assistive learning tools you've mentioned, I could see myself going at least once a week even in the summer.

One thing that I would point out, more from a business perspective, is that establishing a location next to or near a golf store/course or something like that would be a great move (if possible).

Love the idea though.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods

Anyone see this working? It would seem to only work for the winter.
    IMO this is a great idea, and probably would be viable year round. For green fee players there is really no place to practice putting, other than the practice green of whatever course you're playing. To me this is an untapped niche, and if it were conveniently located I'd go for sure.

Big_duck
    Sounds like a good idea; however I would prefer a real putting surface instead of turf. Putting on a carpet is putting on a carpet, the feel is just not the same.

From what I have seen in the paper lately, there seems to be lots of local experience on growing grass indoors. Maybe broken knows someone.

P.S. Just kidding sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Sounds like a good idea; however I would prefer a real putting surface instead of turf. Putting on a carpet is putting on a carpet, the feel is just not the same.
    This is interesting...might be hard to do (need grow lamps, no?)

...and yes, I understand there is an opening in "grass" distribution.

Any other things that golfers would LIKE to see on an indoor practice area?

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    One thing that I would point out, more from a business perspective, is that establishing a location next to or near a golf store/course or something like that would be a great move (if possible).
    True.

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road

Winnipeg

There's someone in Winnipeg who started a business specializing in short game teaching. They have a number of indoor and outdoor practice facilities and have been franchising to the west and south. I don't remember the name off hand but I have it at home if anyone is interested in looking them up. Apparently he's been very successful.

cheers,

Kris

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    This is interesting...might be hard to do (need grow lamps, no?)

...and yes, I understand there is an opening in "grass" distribution.

Any other things that golfers would LIKE to see on an indoor practice area?
    As long as it's real "grass" I'll go.

Quote Originally Posted by kewarken
    There's someone in Winnipeg who started a business specializing in short game teaching. They have a number of indoor and outdoor practice facilities and have been franchising to the west and south. I don't remember the name off hand but I have it at home if anyone is interested in looking them up. Apparently he's been very successful.

cheers,

Kris
    Yes, if its handy or easy to look up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    As long as it's real "grass" I'll go.
    Well, the problem as I see it at a range is club damage, but a short game I don't see swinging THAT hard on a mat to do damage. There must be a simpler solution than growing real grass inside, which seems nearly impossible to maintain.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Well, the problem as I see it at a range is club damage, but a short game I don't see swinging THAT hard on a mat to do damage. There must be a simpler solution than growing real grass inside, which seems nearly impossible to maintain.
    You might not have to actually grow it indoors very often, although using a greenhouse-like glass roof would be an idea. Hydroponics works, is relatively easy to do, and aside from the initial setup cost is fairly inexpensive. The option in the summer is using sod.

There's a few good hydroponics' stores in Ottawa.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road

short game school

It's called the Short Game Centre and it's url is http://www.shortgame-golf.com.

The page wasn't working for me though but if you go to http://tinyurl.com/3b2hg and scroll down to entry 28, it has a description of it.

I understand that he was trying to be the Henry Ford of the short game to Dave Pelz' Rolls Royce.

cheers,

Kris

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Very true BUT they have a new artificial putting surface that is definately not carpeting. They are using this stuff for this exact purpose in England. You can get different grass heights for different applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck

From what I have seen in the paper lately, there seems to be lots of local experience on growing grass indoors. Maybe broken knows someone.

P.S. Just kidding sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kewarken
    It's called the Short Game Centre and it's url is http://www.shortgame-golf.com.

The page wasn't working for me though but if you go to http://tinyurl.com/3b2hg and scroll down to entry 28, it has a description of it.

I understand that he was trying to be the Henry Ford of the short game to Dave Pelz' Rolls Royce.

cheers,

Kris

Thank you.

guyinottawa

Location Location Location

Sounds interesting indeed... but location would play a big role in its success I'm sure. I would be sure to visit if it were to open. Size of facility would need to be large, at least 10,000 square feet in my opinion... throw in a couple of sims and there you go

Thread Information