+ Reply to Thread
    Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar

Vancouver help, flights etc.

Hi there,

Heading off for a month to Vancouver by myself. Thinking of a possible move there.

AC and Westjet seem about the same price. Anyone fly both, which do you like best? and I am presuming you can take clubs on both. AC if you call in advance.

I will likely try out the little par 3 in Stanley Park and UBC golf club, but by myself may not go tooo far.

Any tips and advice for my trip would be welcome

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You can't leave us Maureen--you just can't! I'm trying to remember the members name that goes to school in Vancover or Victoria--he might have some good info for you. Hopefully others have a better memory than me

We played yesterday-- 75 degrees--alligators starting to come out Diane freaking out
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    You can't leave us Maureen--you just can't! I'm trying to remember the members name that goes to school in Vancover or Victoria--he might have some good info for you. Hopefully others have a better memory than me
    Are you thinking of jonf?
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post

We played yesterday-- 75 degrees--alligators starting to come out Diane freaking out
    Hey big mac, I would certainly miss all you guys for sure. I would still be online though Up in the air at the moment.

I think it is Jon you are thinking of? maybe??

I hope Diane gets plenty of pic of you running helter skelter away from the gators

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I did go to school in Victoria. I can't tell you anything about golf in Vancouver, but I would certainly recommend Westjet over Air Canada, particularly if there is not much of a price difference. I had some flights with Air Canada that were badly delayed for no particular reason, and also had my luggage arrive 3 days after I got to Victoria. You also can't do better than Westjet in terms of customer service. I'm fairly certain that I took my golf clubs with both companies at various points, and was never charged extra...it just counts as one of your carry ons. I would double check this, as it has been a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I did go to school in Victoria. I can't tell you anything about golf in Vancouver, but I would certainly recommend Westjet over Air Canada, particularly if there is not much of a price difference. I had some flights with Air Canada that were badly delayed for no particular reason, and also had my luggage arrive 3 days after I got to Victoria. You also can't do better than Westjet in terms of customer service. I'm fairly certain that I took my golf clubs with both companies at various points, and was never charged extra...it just counts as one of your carry ons. I would double check this, as it has been a couple of years.
    Great, thanks Jonf,

The prices are both around 500 round trip at the moment. The only problem I see with West Jet is that it looks like it flies to Victoria first and you have to change. AC I can still go direct. I may just book one going and one coming so I can spend a few days in Victoria too.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    March is a really nice time to be in Victoria if you have the opportunity. The other thing is, flying direct with Air Canada should limit the possibility of any foulups. The time they lost my luggage I was on a later flight, and transferred in Vancouver to a small plane for the hop to Victoria. My bags didn't get on that flight, probably because of weight issues, and then missed the last one too. What I could not understand was why it took so long for them to fix the situation.

To be fair to Air Canada, they have been much better the last couple times I flew with them. My flight back from Paris on Christmas Eve was delayed for 6 hours because of the weather. They were very helpful in getting me on connections to make sure I got home, and were very courteous to everyone. The airports were packed with people trying to make connections and deal with children, and I felt their staff did a pretty good job under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    March is a really nice time to be in Victoria if you have the opportunity. The other thing is, flying direct with Air Canada should limit the possibility of any foulups.
    Yes I think the problems mostly occur with the short hops, they don't have much time to transfer, I have used AC for loads of flights and have rarely had much problem, but I have never used WestJet. I will just go with the one with the better flight times and convenience then.

I will definitely visit Victoria probably for 3 or 4 days to get a good feel for it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    AC has more flights so if you get delayed you have a lot more options to get back. I fly AC since I am Elite and get some privilidges with it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    So when's the garage sale?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Oh Brit, why waste your money! The pace of life out there is so laid back and slow it will drive a lady like you that is always on the go, crazy!!! After a month or 2 you will be chomping at the bit to get back the the fast paced civilization and all your loving golf friends back here
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    AC has more flights so if you get delayed you have a lot more options to get back. I fly AC since I am Elite and get some privilidges with it.
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    So when's the garage sale?
    That, I think I may have to start very soon. So much stuff, if I move to a condo I will have to sell loads. It will feel really cleansing to completely de-clutter down to the essentials though. The rest of the family are the ones to keep everything. I like to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Oh Brit, why waste your money! The pace of life out there is so laid back and slow it will drive a lady like you that is always on the go, crazy!!! After a month or 2 you will be chomping at the bit to get back the the fast paced civilization and all your loving golf friends back here
    Well I am going to try it for a month, so we shall see

My wonderful golfing buddies, I would really miss though

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I flew there in November with Westjet and it was fine. I've also flown there with Air Canada and they were fine too. Most of the flights seem to go through Calgary although both had direct flights from Ottawa. Go with the best deal and/or the most convenient.

Travelling with golf clubs is not a problem on either. As long as it is under the weight limit, your golf bag will simply count as a piece of luggage and they waive the oversize fee. That leaves you with one more bag to check in and two bags as carry-ons before you have to pay extra.

Golf in Vancouver is EXPENSIVE - almost as bad as the GTA. Most of the courses are open year-round, but they're usually sopping wet between November and March. I used to travel there in late January every year for a week and it rained every day. The last two years I went in early November for a week and it rained every day. They say people move there for the climate and leave because of the weather. Bring an umbrella or two and lots of rain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I flew there in November with Westjet and it was fine. I've also flown there with Air Canada and they were fine too. Most of the flights seem to go through Calgary although both had direct flights from Ottawa. Go with the best deal and/or the most convenient.

Travelling with golf clubs is not a problem on either. As long as it is under the weight limit, your golf bag will simply count as a piece of luggage and they waive the oversize fee. That leaves you with one more bag to check in and two bags as carry-ons before you have to pay extra.

Golf in Vancouver is EXPENSIVE - almost as bad as the GTA. Most of the courses are open year-round, but they're usually sopping wet between November and March. I used to travel there in late January every year for a week and it rained every day. The last two years I went in early November for a week and it rained every day. They say people move there for the climate and leave because of the weather. Bring an umbrella or two and lots of rain gear.
    Thanks for all your tips I am familiar with very rainy weather, being English I don't mind the rain, but I hate the extreme cold.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    check out northlands golf in North Van. very reasonable as its municpally owned and drains well since its rather hilly (and a good walk at that)!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    If you are flying into the Vancouver area my choice of airline would be WestJet. They fly into Abbotsford, which is up the valley about an hour out of downtown Vancouver. If you are staying in the Vancouver area then go with the airline that will take you closest to downtown. If you are out east of the Fraser River like in White Rock, Langley or Surrey then Abbotsford is the best bet. Smaller, less crowded and I have had no issues with the West Jet service. My son & his wife live in Langely and they also use West Jet to come here. Not sure you will find many golf courses of the quality we have here for the same price. I'd say from my experience the $35 courses here are $50-60 there, but the bonus is that you may play 12 months of the year. I used to live in the LMD and am sorry I ever left. The traffic is horrible, but the climate is great for the better part of the year. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    check out northlands golf in North Van. very reasonable as its municpally owned and drains well since its rather hilly (and a good walk at that)!
    Not sure how far I want to go just yet, on my own, but I will keep that one in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    If you are flying into the Vancouver area my choice of airline would be WestJet. They fly into Abbotsford, which is up the valley about an hour out of downtown Vancouver. If you are staying in the Vancouver area then go with the airline that will take you closest to downtown. If you are out east of the Fraser River like in White Rock, Langley or Surrey then Abbotsford is the best bet. Smaller, less crowded and I have had no issues with the West Jet service. My son & his wife live in Langely and they also use West Jet to come here. Not sure you will find many golf courses of the quality we have here for the same price. I'd say from my experience the $35 courses here are $50-60 there, but the bonus is that you may play 12 months of the year. I used to live in the LMD and am sorry I ever left. The traffic is horrible, but the climate is great for the better part of the year. All the best.
    I am staying right downtown, that is the area I would prob. move too also. Apt in Yaletown. So AC may be closer in that case I think.

Thanks Kiwi

Thread Information