100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: routine tips

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road

routine tips

Just my two cents, but this statement...

I swing REALLY hard sometimes. Again, usually after a few beers and a couple bad holes.

...got me to thinking about common errors I've seen (or done myself). These are things we've all heard over and over, but some are pretty basic.

I would say these are following things a novice golfer should UNLEARN or AVOID as soon as possible:

1) Swinging hard. I know we see the pros SOMETIMES kill it, but their swings are precision instruments. I like Ernie Els, or even Michelle Wie, as examples: they're tempo is amazing, and it looks like no effort. If you move/fall/sway out of your stance, you're swinging too hard. You'll find consistency improve if you tone it down. Its not a strength game.

2) Gripping too hard. This is a killer in a lot of ways. Its a natural response to bad shots, stress and fear of failure. Bad for release, control, feel and tempo. Find out how light you can hold it and STILL produce a nice shot. A MUST for the short game.

3) Tempo. Its a great thing to learn. Find a rhythm to your swing and practice to it. Its true for putting and the short game too. you'll be amazed.

4) the over back swing: that need to bring the club parallel on the back swing, which often results in going past parallel. I've found its misleading. Go to the range, and try a lot of 3/4 or 4/5 swings, and be surprised.

5) weight transfer. Learn what it feels like to shift your weight from the back side to the forward side. Practice it so much that it doesn't require thinking anymore. Hanging out on your back leg is something hard to detect and produces a lot of bad shots.

6) Release: slap sticking the ball with locked-wrists is a bad habit to get into. Take a club and baseball swing it. Or take a weighted club and swing it. Get the feel of release.

7) Short game, short game, short game. If you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to knock some strokes off your game: do it with the putter and pitching techniques. Its boring to practice, its not the same as nailing a 300 yard drive, but if you want your score to lower DRAMATICALLY, this is the place to do it.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Just my two cents, but this statement...

I swing REALLY hard sometimes. Again, usually after a few beers and a couple bad holes.

...got me to thinking about common errors I've seen (or done myself). These are things we've all heard over and over, but some are pretty basic.
    Oh sure, pick on me....

I was perfectly aware of the technical flaws I have. The reason I'm not ashamed of publicly stating them like this is that I play golf to have fun. If scoring isn't happening (again, I point to the beer), I drink more. When I drink more, I shoot/score worse (although I hit farther when I get it right). When I shoot/score worse, I get more angry with myself in fun, then I swing harder.

I agree with pretty much all the "tips" you've given though. It's neat, because this winter I actually managed to improve my swing. I've also vowed not to drink QUITE as much on the course (mainly financial). 12-18 beers per day can really hurt you in the wallet..... Not to mention the scorecard/lost balls/broken sand wedges....

Hehehe... Good post, just too bad it's my example statement.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Oh sure, pick on me....

That makes me sad. While I had no right to use your statement, I was actually trying to help you...

I was perfectly aware of the technical flaws I have. The reason I'm not ashamed of publicly stating them like this is that I play golf to have fun.

Everyone has technical flaws. And fun is a good goal. I'd like to have fun AND score low, and the tips above seemed to have helped me.

Good post, just too bad it's my example statement.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Oh sure, pick on me....

That makes me sad. While I had no right to use your statement, I was actually trying to help you...

I was perfectly aware of the technical flaws I have. The reason I'm not ashamed of publicly stating them like this is that I play golf to have fun.

Everyone has technical flaws. And fun is a good goal. I'd like to have fun AND score low, and the tips above seemed to have helped me.

Good post, just too bad it's my example statement.

Sorry.
    I'm not at all "upset" with this. Like I said, they are good tips. Hard to convey sarcasm in print....

Dan

Dan

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm not at all "upset" with this. Like I said, they are good tips. Hard to convey sarcasm in print....

Dan

Dan
    That's what the is for!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    That's what the is for!
    Ah.... Just thought that was for portraying guys with big cheeks and crazy banana smiles......

Dan

Ah.... Just thought that was for portraying guys with big cheeks and crazy banana smiles......

Dan
    For that, you get a Farzin Wave!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Wow, I feel welcomed to the family now...

Dan

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road

or one of these.
    There are more of these,but can't attach them all.

Wow, I feel welcomed to the family now...

Dan
    It took you a year and a wave to feel like that, I thought you were welcomed last yaer. you ARE welcome.This one to make you even feel moe comfee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    It took you a year and a wave to feel like that, I thought you were welcomed last yaer. you ARE welcome.This one to make you even feel moe comfee.
    I don't get that one. So little smilies are actually wearing yellow full-length body suits, and when they pull down their pants/underwear, their natural skin colour is red?

Freaks!

I don't get that one. So little smilies are actually wearing yellow full-length body suits, and when they pull down their pants/underwear, their natural skin colour is red?

Freaks!
    Now you are stereo-typing smilies with red butts!

I wonder what their sexual prefernce is... :freak5
    Colby

Freaks!
    Good observation though..... keep looking.

Could at lease leave the smilies out of this. they are just little smilies, but mind you they might mean something. I don't know I just pick one and through it on the forum.

Damn discriminatory Deep Woods.... For shame.........

Dan

Thread Information