100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mkemila
    Do you sell flowers at the airport?

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlui
    I welcome all these distractions while I play so I learn to tune them out and quiet my mind. This will make you a better player in high pressure situations. Like harvey Penick said, "play with what brought ya.." or something like that. If you start to become more of a marshall than a player, then you will do terrible because you will worry more than thinking about your next shot.

Besides, people play to enjoy themselves. If everything bothers you, maybe you should play on more exclusive courses rather than public ones. You have to remember, that not everyone plays and thinks like you and may not be in your level. Look at Trevino, he talks all the time while he plays.

Don't forget that we all started somewhere sometime when we sucked more than we suck now.
    It's a nice idea, but the problem is that things you can deal with don't bother you. If they bother you, it's because you can't deal with them. Catch-22.

Agreed that most "golfers" (and I make the distinction here between people who are golfers and people who play golf) strive to perfect the mental aspect of the game as much as the swing part of it.

But, and it's a critical issue. Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean it isn't annoying someone else. You can zen yourself to death, and a ladybug messes up your "trance". It has annoyed you.

Tiger seems to get pretty pissy when a camera click sounds off four miles away.

I know what you meant, and I can pretty much play in any "environment". I know I'd score better if people we're not tap-dancing or playing drums or whatever in the background, but it doesn't really matter that much.

Dan

PS - Damn, rant.
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    My general response to people who continue to show poor etiquette on the course is to tell them to enjoy the day because you won't be back with us. I am picky when putting a foursome together.....I would rather take someone with less ability and more personality.......makes the day WAY more enjoyable

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I would rather take someone with less ability and more personality.......makes the day WAY more enjoyable
    I totally agree with you here. I would rather play with a hacker that has good etiqutte and is fun to play with than a scratch player who is rude, slow, and/or uptight. I've had friends of mine decline an invite to play with me because they are not very good so they're worried that I won't enjoy myself because I'm a 5 handicap. But I have to explain to them that I play for fun most of the time and you don't have to be good to still have fun.

Sort of a rule question.......we were playing at Emerald Links last year and our forth was having a bad hair day. On his drives where he got into trouble, he would grab his clubs and start walking up the treeline towards his ball, leaving everyone else to drive and avoid hitting him. Besides being really childish I also thought this a rather dangerous practice. We were talking about this at the office and the general concensus is that two penalty strokes are assessed for every shot he did not wait for people to make as well as a smack in the back of the head with a rolled up newspaper. This was his first and last round with us....a fairly ackward situation as we work with him.

Sort of a rule question.......we were playing at Emerald Links last year and our forth was having a bad hair day. On his drives where he got into trouble, he would grab his clubs and start walking up the treeline towards his ball, leaving everyone else to drive and avoid hitting him. Besides being really childish I also thought this a rather dangerous practice. We were talking about this at the office and the general concensus is that two penalty strokes are assessed for every shot he did not wait for people to make as well as a smack in the back of the head with a rolled up newspaper. This was his first and last round with us....a fairly ackward situation as we work with him.
    Never mind penalty strokes, you each should have bet a beer on who could hit him first (no roll-ups, has to be a direct hit!). That'd teach him, and obviously give him the sense that he likely won't be invited back...

Dan

I think the bus ride home with his clubs probably tipped him off that he was persona non grata...........the schmuck......it's amazing how a friendly sport can bring the worst out in people.........relax........have fun.......drink beer......sounds like instructions even a leaf fan could follow

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Never mind penalty strokes, you each should have bet a beer on who could hit him first (no roll-ups, has to be a direct hit!). That'd teach him, and obviously give him the sense that he likely won't be invited back...

Dan

I think the bus ride home with his clubs probably tipped him off that he was persona non grata...........the schmuck......it's amazing how a friendly sport can bring the worst out in people.........relax........have fun.......drink beer......sounds like instructions even a leaf fan could follow
    If they could read them........

Dan

Yes sir, you are correct

If they could read them........

Dan

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    A similar post several months ago resulted in a number of the the anti etiquette golfers(boors) berating those of us who play with consideration for others and who expect the same consideration from them. It is refreshing to see that a lot of you enjoy the game more if you play the game with golfers who place similar value on good etiquette.

To answer the original question:

1. Talking while I am setting up and and swinging. It takes me about 15 seconds to play a shot. I will never understand why a human being cannot shut up for that length of time.

2. Slow play.

3. Shot by shot description of a golfer's round. I don't care. Just tell me what you shot. I have scored 66, 76, 86 and 96 and 106 in my golfing lifetime and I know how it's done.

4. Temper tantrums. I understand the frustration, however, displays of temper reinforce the bad shot that preceeded it and increased the likelihood of a recurrence. A threesome playing with a volcano is really a twosome who cannot help but be affected by the explosions.

5. Golfers who cheat.

I watched an interview with Mike Weir's golf psycologist (forget his name).....he was talking about golfers (both amateur and pro) who kick their own asses for bad shots and then forget to congratulate themselves on good shots.....that you tend to take the bad shots to the next tee and low and behold have a bad drive due to nothing more than tension. I have beaten this problem by understanding it.......it makes it much easier to forgive the bad ones and look at the recovery as a challenge. I know it sounds like I should be selling flowers at airport BUT the proof is in the pudding.....I went from a 24 handicap to an 11 in one year.

[IMG][/IMG]

MattGrass
    As a new member of this board, I have to say this post had me laughing.

My favorite complaints at the golf course.

Its golf, you could be working so relax, open a beer and enjoy the sun and the grass. I refuse to golf with people so uptight that I cant enjoy my own round of golf, away from reality.

I love people who ride your butt. My favorite is stomping a golf ball into the turf so that it is barely viewable when the jackass comes up the fairway to find it. Another great one if someone has been riding your group for a while, pick up the guys ball and chuck it way down the fairway or onto the green if its close.

Couple of times doing that, the guy who hit into our group was in the 19th hole, telling everyone how he drove the green or hit it 400 yrds on hole **.

Too funny, a good laugh for the people in my group.

Expensive putters or equipment in the hands of people who dont deserve it or cant use it. I have worked on my game to get to a 10 handicap or so and I have a decent set of clubs. Couple of my buddies have 1000-1500 sets and the same 20 handicap they had three to five years ago when we all began golfing.

Aaron

Lob Wedge Keating is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by yun
    100 yrd stinker CONSISTENTLY off the tee? if they can't hit the ball well off the tee, what makes them think you can hit it better off the ground?
    I'm a beginner, just starting out this year, but I've hit a LOT of balls at the range, and I can hit the ball farther, straighter and more consistantly off the grass with a 5 iron than I can with a driver/wood off a tee. :mad

Quote Originally Posted by MattGrass
    Its golf, you could be working so relax, open a beer and enjoy the sun and the grass. I refuse to golf with people so uptight that I cant enjoy my own round of golf, away from reality.

Agreed, but can I ask all of you who say "just have fun", is it not possible to "have fun" and be efficient?

You don't take a leak in public, you don't jump ahead in a line at the bank, so why shouldn't there be basic etiquette for golf ? Someone explain that to me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I don't get that

Quote Originally Posted by MattGrass
    Expensive putters or equipment in the hands of people who dont deserve it or cant use it. I have worked on my game to get to a 10 handicap or so and I have a decent set of clubs. Couple of my buddies have 1000-1500 sets and the same 20 handicap they had three to five years ago when we all began golfing.

Aaron
    Why would you care what kind of equipment someone has, whether they are 5 handicapers or 25? It actually bugs you that someone can afford to buy expensive clubs but isn't very good? If they are a jerk then go ahead not like them for that but I'll never understand why having good or expensive equipment is an issue if they are not great golfers.

You hit the nail on the head......unfortunately some people are either way way way too competitive and it gets the best of them or others that let a bad shot spoil a great day. And about taking a leak in the bank.....it was only once and I said I was sorry :blush

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Agreed, but can I ask all of you who say "just have fun", is it not possible to "have fun" and be efficient?

You don't take a leak in public, you don't jump ahead in a line at the bank, so why shouldn't there be basic etiquette for golf ? Someone explain that to me.

And about taking a leak in the bank.....it was only once and I said I was sorry :blush

But you ruined my pants.

Andru
    You know what bothers me?

1) Regular golfers who compain about nonsense.

2) Small minded golfers who assume because you have patience and can deal with people who don't know all the etiquette rules. That you're actually one of those etiquette rule violators or you the don't value good etiquette on the golf course.

3) People who know they should rake a bunker and don't, because they skulled it across the green

4) People who know they should replace divots but don't, because they just chunked it into the water.

5) People who know they should repair pitch marks on the green but don't, because they can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru

2) Small minded golfers who assume because you have patience and can deal with people who don't know all the etiquette rules. That you're actually one of those etiquette rule violators or you the don't value good etiquette on the golf course.
    If by chance this is directed at me, or others on this forum that you've never met, you should probably meet them first to see if they violate #2...if they don't violate #2, then #1 is moot.

#1 - Pretty much covers everyone. Considering we all complain about something, and considering what may be important to you is nonsense to me, irrefutably you will eventually be guilty of complaining about nonsense.

#2 - Anyone who goes out for a casual round of golf and spends most of their time thinking/worrying about etiquette instead of having fun playing golf is a dummy. Not saying we should just abandon etiquette altogether, but there's a fine line between being courteous and being a butt-munch. If I ever get paired up with someone who keeps giving me etiquette lessons, I'll just let them play on without me. I don't have to spend $40 to read "Ms. Manners". It's in the paper for a buck.

Dan

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    #2 - Anyone who goes out for a casual round of golf and spends most of their time thinking/worrying about etiquette instead of having fun playing golf is a dummy. Not saying we should just abandon etiquette altogether, but there's a fine line between being courteous and being a butt-munch. If I ever get paired up with someone who keeps giving me etiquette lessons, I'll just let them play on without me. I don't have to spend $40 to read "Ms. Manners". It's in the paper for a buck.
    Man, you would do nicer things than I would.... Leave Mary Poppins at home people and concentrate on the game. If someone tells me that my etiquette is bad (burping, farting, pissing in the trees, checking out the cart girl, etc)..... they have another thing coming to them.

Andru
    If by chance this is directed at me, or others on this forum that you've never met, you should probably meet them first to see if they violate #2...if they don't violate #2, then #1 is moot.
    I think you're taking this waaaaaay to personally. But you can interpret what I wrote anyway you like.

Andru
    #1 - Pretty much covers everyone. Considering we all complain about something, and considering what may be important to you is nonsense to me, irrefutably you will eventually be guilty of complaining about nonsense.

Dan
    #1 - Guilty as charged. I never claimed to be perfect.

#2 - I Agree. I usually get the point across through aciton. After an iron shot, If I'm close i'll walk up to the divot and lob it back at the individual. Kind of a courtesy thing. But it gets my point across without looking jerky. Or if they hit a bad sand shot I'll offer to rake it while they go find their ball to chip back on the green.

I think you're taking this waaaaaay to personally. But you can interpret what I wrote anyway you like.
    Well come on man, how am I supposed to take it...its right after mine, and it opposes what I'm saying...I am 100% for having fun on the course, but I see a problem with annoying other people needlessly...

Andru
    Well come on man, how am I supposed to take it...its right after mine, and it opposes what I'm saying...I am 100% for having fun on the course, but I see a problem with annoying other people needlessly...
    Now I know you didn't say this but this is what I was responding too.
    A similar post several months ago resulted in a number of the the anti etiquette golfers(boors) berating those of us who play with consideration for others and who expect the same consideration from them. It is refreshing to see that a lot of you enjoy the game more if you play the game with golfers who place similar value on good etiquette.
    I was on the past threads. What this person calls berating is a few of us trying to say. Lighten up a bit and try to understand the barrier for entry in golf shouldn't be so high. You can talk during any other popular sport. Geez who the heck is going to think about the position of their damn shadow. This stuff comes with more time playing.

Now read his quote with the background info and you'll see what I mean. Nothing directed towards you at all.

Cheers

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road

Heres what bothers me

1. People who stop on the 8th or 10th holes to eat lunch but won't allow you to play through.
    2. People who walk on my putting line to get to their ball or flag.
    3. Playing 18 with someone who never once tends the flag.
    4. People who after you've hit a great shot cll it lucky. It may have been but let me have a moment.
    5. Cheaters. I don't mind id rules get bent but when you outright lie about your score to be lower than me it makes it hard for me to ever want to play with you again.

As far as #5 goes I always just let them golf in their fantasy world.....if it makes you happy to take a par after 9 shots and 2 injured people.....ok you got par.........9 inches huh?

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    1. People who stop on the 8th or 10th holes to eat lunch but won't allow you to play through.
    2. People who walk on my putting line to get to their ball or flag.
    3. Playing 18 with someone who never once tends the flag.
    4. People who after you've hit a great shot cll it lucky. It may have been but let me have a moment.
    5. Cheaters. I don't mind id rules get bent but when you outright lie about your score to be lower than me it makes it hard for me to ever want to play with you again.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Buggging Bugs

--- I really get annoyed by :
    1. People who consider that they must get annoyed when everybody else is trying to play golf and relax...
    2. Anal retentive persons who substitute their obsession for perfection to fun or confuse manhood lenght and driving distance.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Wow.....feel better now?

Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    --- I really get annoyed by :
    1. People who consider that they must get annoyed when everybody else is trying to play golf and relax...
    2. Anal retentive persons who substitute their obsession for perfection to fun or confuse manhood lenght and driving distance.

Thread Information