100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Nevada Bob's Golf / Sport Chek

Heard a rumor that NBG are moving into the SC at Place d'Orleans (Ottawa East). Went in on Sunday and their sad golf department was looking like it was undergoing a make over, with almost all the clubs taken off the back wall. Could not find anyone to talk to. Note that there are a couple of other shared accommodations in Southern Ontario, could we be next?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I don't know why anyone would shop at retail golf prices for anything other than maybe clothes or shoes with all the deals available at sites such as this and on Ebay. It baffles me. I mean it's one thing to support local businesses but if you can save a ton of dough??

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I don't know why anyone would shop at retail golf prices for anything other than maybe clothes or shoes with all the deals available at sites such as this and on Ebay. It baffles me. I mean it's one thing to support local businesses but if you can save a ton of dough??
    If somebody didn't buy it retail to begin with we wouldn't have anyone to buy it from second hand.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Geez, I don't know... demoing maybe... perhaps actually getting to see the clubs in person before purchasing... seeing how they set up to your eye.
    There is a lot more to evaluating equipment than a pretty picture on a website... otherwise we'd all be ordering cheap copies from China...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You still aren't buying anything from them though Reid? Just checking out clubs. And most demo programs are a sham now anyways charging you to try out clubs. You can hit into the screens at golftown turn around and buy the clubs for 40-60 percent less on Ebay. You still aren't spending any money at the golf store. Just using them basically?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    You still aren't buying anything from them though Reid? Just checking out clubs. And most demo programs are a sham now anyways charging you to try out clubs. You can hit into the screens at golftown turn around and buy the clubs for 40-60 percent less on Ebay. You still aren't spending any money at the golf store. Just using them basically?
    You are correct that there are savings to be had. The problem is, not everyone goes through as many golf clubs as you do. If someone is going to buy a club with the intention of using it for 5 years (think Bizzaro world Geoff), and they want to have a nice shiny new one without going through all the hassle of eBay shipping charges, duty, and potentially getting scammed, then retail stores are perfect for them.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

GolfTown won't be around long if everyone does that will they John? (Actually, you are right, it is happening already). Then where will we hit into the screens to evaluate clubs before ordering off Ebay?
    The other thing I should point out is that Ebay is overrun with counterfeit clubs. Buyer beware.
    Actually I greatly miss the other golf stores which used to exist in Ottawa... Chuck's, Pro Golf Discount... Nevada Bob's. Now there is essentially only one choice and if everyone orders off the internet soon there will be none. I used to drive up to Ottawa at least once a month to check out the golf stores, and do the same in Montreal. Now there is no point, as everyone has essentially one store...GolfTown in Montreal or Ottawa... it's all the same store, prices and displays... very boring. I have not driven to Ottawa or Montreal to look at golf stuff in over a year and have for the most part stopped buying clubs except for tinkering. That actually has a lot to do with the lack of brick and mortar stores (I used to buy tons of stuff at Chuck's).
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    If Golftown and others would carry used clubs(like Chucks used to have) it would be very good for everyone including GT.But there business is selling new clubs and equipp.Really miss Chucks because we bought 99% of our stuff used and that was good for all.Like you Reid,we must have spent over 10,000 dollars,my wife,son and I during a ten year period.Thank god for this forum and the good members.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I have not driven to Ottawa or Montreal to look at golf stuff in over a year and have for the most part stopped buying clubs except for tinkering. That actually has a lot to do with the lack of brick and mortar stores (I used to buy tons of stuff at Chuck's).
    Hey Reid my house is brick but it doesn't have the big box store look. Come shopping at "The Saint's"

Lot's of used gear to choose from
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Hey Reid my house is brick but it doesn't have the big box store look. Come shopping at "The Saint's"

Oh Mr. Saintly one, If you have any TM hybrids/woods/drivers, I just might go inside shopping when I drop off my 2 sets of clubs to be regripped
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post

Definitely one of my favorite places to shop in Ottawa
    You need to post a list and pics of your inventory on line though... just so we know what to expect

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Oh Mr. Saintly one, If you have any TM hybrids/woods/drivers, I just might go inside shopping when I drop off my 2 sets of clubs to be regripped
    TM Burner 3W and TM Burner 3hybrid
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Kinda off topic, but worth commenting. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe being of the older generation I am wired to see, feel, and smell what I'm buying. Sure I buy cheap at Costco for balls and gloves but when I want to be club fit then I go to the place where they do that. AND if it does not work out I don't want to have to reverse the process (i.e. ship) to get satisfaction. I want to be able to take my malfunctioning equipment back and do a face/face with the sales person. NO satisfaction received by sending a snot-a-gram back with my gear. As for GT and "used clubs" what about the demo sales and the clubs they have bundled in the back by the Service Counter? CB was good for that but they could not compete with the Big Box Boys, to the detriment of us all. Personal service is getting to be a thing of the past. I am still willing to pay for service. I'll admit though that the eBays keep the retailers honest.

BTW, on topic, heard that the NBG "store" at Sport Chek will open on/about Feb 26.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Heard a rumor that NBG are moving into the SC at Place d'Orleans (Ottawa East). Went in on Sunday and their sad golf department was looking like it was undergoing a make over, with almost all the clubs taken off the back wall. Could not find anyone to talk to. Note that there are a couple of other shared accommodations in Southern Ontario, could we be next?
    They are owned by the same company http://www.forzanigroup.com/Sportchek.aspx

so it seems like a perfect match. Hopefully they will honour the NB gift card I got for Christmas '07 and also open a NB in SportChek in Kanata. (The reason I didn't use the NB card was Orleans is too far away for me and my Silverado to make the $50 card worth anything)

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Was just in the Merivale Sport Chek and they are currently clearing space for a Nevada Bobs

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Was just in the Merivale Sport Chek and they are currently clearing space for a Nevada Bobs
    Now that's good news. More lunchtime forays off the spousal radar.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Only a couple blocks from home
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

6 Iron Biffster26 is on a distinguished road Biffster26's Avatar
    Cool I live just a nine iron away...This could prove dangerous...Honey do you want me to go and pick up some milk...Honey do we need bread etc ...Hopefully she does not catch on too soon she will think I am the most thoughtful!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Hopefully the NB's will take Sportschek giftcards

6 Iron deuces91 is on a distinguished road deuces91's Avatar

NB's in Merivale Sportchek

There will be a NB's in the Merivale sportchek, construction begins monday feb 9, 2009. I worked at both previous NB's so I have been offered a job there. I was having a conversation with one of the managers and he does not yet know if they will be dealing with used clubs. When I find out I'll be sure to inform everyone. Opening date should be March 13th.

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    Nice! That's close to where I work.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Was in yesterday and the sapce is cleared and sign posted on the wall says:

"Nevada Bob's Coming Soon"
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Was in the Orléans store today and finally see signs of construction. Worker confirmed NBG coming in "March". Also said they will be moving all the stock from the store on St. Joseph Blvd in. By my eye the new place looks like it will have as much or more floor space. Don't see how they cannot do better here than the old place.

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Sweet... hopefully they will bring their massive selection of golf hats from the Orleans location. Best selection in the city, hands down.

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road

Nevada Bob's Golf

I hear that the two new stores open March 13th, I can't wait till they open. I'll be at the new east end store in place d'orleans.
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Sportchek and NBG are both owned by the Forzani Group, which explains the merger...good for me, closer to Rockland for any last minute purchase before a round, ahahaha

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Glad to see NB opening up.They offered personal service and I miss that.

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    yeah this would be great...can cash in airmiles for sportchek giftcards
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Hopefully the NB's will take Sportschek giftcards

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    Hello to all,
    Nevada Bob's will open tomorrow at both locations, hope to see you out.
    parbreaker04
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I droped in to the Merivale location on my way to work this morning. Looks good. The guy on the floor said that there's still more stock to come. I would say that it's 70-80% stocked right now, but no gaps.

A few Dymos and R9s on display, about 20 sets of irons, a couple of racks of wedges (the usual suspects), a few racks of clothing (Nike, Callaway, Adidas, etc.), bags, shoes, balls (mostly mid-range, but there were TM high end ones too), an elevated putting area with about 50-60 putters, and a hitting/fitting area in behind.

Looks to be more mid range focus than GT, which is fine. It's a boutique layout, but it's light years better than what they had before, and it's in a better location (just inside the Viewmount entrance to the left).

Overall, I think they'll do just fine if they concentrate on the same value level as the rest of the store.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information