100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Waggle Contact With Ball

I've heard that contacting the ball in a practice swing doesn't count as a shot, although I can't find anything official on the subject and will take the stroke as is until I can confirm that.

But, operating under that train of thought, what happens if you're on the tee and make contact with the ball with a waggle? Am I now shooting two from the tee-box and on the grass?

Thanks for the info...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

no

No intent to make the swing and you havent moved it off the teeing ground? Reload with no penalty.

Not sure of the "official " wording but................
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    No intent to make the swing and you havent moved it off the teeing ground? Reload with no penalty.
    Damn! I'm sure I'd have won the OGT if I had known!!!!

I did exactly that at Nation last season, and while the guys I was playing with told me to reload, I insisted that I'd just take my second shot from where the ball had landed....

I'm such a dumbass.

Dan

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm such a dumbass.
    That's 3 things that we...

I'm just kidding. Do what I do when I knock it off the tee in practice: kill your playing partners, replace them with clones that do your bidding, change the scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    That's 3 things that we...

I'm just kidding. Do what I do when I knock it off the tee in practice: kill your playing partners, replace them with clones that do your bidding, change the scorecard.

I'd have a pretty long record if I kept doing that... Plus, golf courses in the region would start to smell like decomposing bodies. Not sure this is a good suggestion....

Dan

Here's the second match i wanna watch this season.

Hehehe... Ambulance chasing Steve? I'm sure that the match would be one-sided in Deep Woods' favour, since I do not profess to be a very good player. Not sure we'd finish a full 18 before we were at each others' throats though. Could be entertaining...

Dan

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I second that!

Dan,

Read Rule 11-3 Ball Falling Off Tee. The ball is not in play until you make a stroke at it. This is only good when you are on the teeing ground and are preparing to start playing that particular hole.

As for contacting the ball with a practice swing while it is in play, Rule 18-2 covers this point. One stroke.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Big_duck

Dream Foursome, Deep Woods, Broken, Rush Limbaugh and Rosie O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I second that!

Dan,

Read Rule 11-3 Ball Falling Off Tee. The ball is not in play until you make a stroke at it.
    Thanks Colby. Saved me a lot of time trying to sift through the weird scenarios...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Used to love Rush. Now I just find him to be running out of realistic things to say. Rosie O'Donnell? Oh man..... That round would last 1 stroke for me. Don't even think I'd be swinging at the ball!!!!!

Dan

Thanks Colby. Saved me a lot of time trying to sift through the weird scenarios...

Dan
    No problem, I edited the post to cover your other scenario.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

No problem, I edited the post to cover your other scenario.
    Okay, so if you hit it with a practice stroke while the ball is already in play, it's a stroke? Does that mean I can elect to shoot the ball from where it ended up OR take a penalty and re-hit from where it was originally?

Dan

Big_duck
    Okay, so if you hit it with a practice stroke while the ball is already in play, it's a stroke? Does that mean I can elect to shoot the ball from where it ended up OR take a penalty and re-hit from where it was originally?

Dan

Once you are off the teeing-ground then the ball is always in play, so if you hit it stroke counts.

Once you are off the teeing-ground then the ball is always in play, so if you hit it stroke counts.
    Exactly. Play it where it ended up, or it would be another stroke for illegaly moving it again, lol
    Colby

Exactly. Play it where it ended up, or it would be another stroke for illegaly moving it again, lol
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Dan

Hehehe... Ambulance chasing Steve?

Lol...now that's funny. We should use our super-mean-powers for evil instead of good, and make fun of people in this forum.

I'm sure that the match would be one-sided in Deep Woods' favour, since I do not profess to be a very good player.

I'm not that good either...I think we're about evenly matched, based on your comments. My game fluctuates depending on my practice schedule.

Not sure we'd finish a full 18 before we were at each others' throats though. Could be entertaining...

Ya, that's probably the biggest problem.
    Last edited by Deep Woods; 04-06-2004 at 05:38 PM.

I love that foursome. The first tee, I'd test the wind. Take two practice swings. Line up my shot. Go to the ball. Do one waggle. Do another. Then I'd take out my pistol and shoot Rush in the head.

Not a big fan of Rosie either: BANG!

Broken would win by default as the cops haul me off.

Now here's my choice foursome broken: Me, Broken, Halle Berry, and Angelina Jolie. Oh, and Kristin Kreuk and Jessica Alba are on the bags. Screw it, get rid of broken, replace him with Heather Graham.

I love that foursome. The first tee, I'd test the wind. Take two practice swings. Line up my shot. Go to the ball. Do one waggle. Do another. Then I'd take out my pistol and shoot Rush in the head.

Not a big fan of Rosie either: BANG!

Broken would win by default as the cops haul me off.

Now here's my choice foursome broken: Me, Broken, Halle Berry, and Angelina Jolie. Oh, and Kristin Kreuk and Jessica Alba are on the bags. Screw it, get rid of broken, replace him with Heather Graham.
    Without having to shoot anybody, here's my ideal foursome:
    Me, Jim Rome, Mike Weir, Dominik Hasek. On the bags (pardon the pun), we have all ladies: Andrea Veresova (Jagr's ex), Gwen Stefani, Lisa Loeb and Bjork (so I can tell her how stupid she is). Cooking dinner for the post-round chat: Emeril Legasse and Martin Yan.

Debating about inviting someone REALLY rich to pick up the tab for all this...

Dan

You right wingers are such pacifists...

You right wingers are such pacifists...

You know me..... Always trying to diffuse tension....

Dan

You know me..... Always trying to diffuse tension....

Um....

Ya.

Me, Jim Rome, Mike Weir, Dominik Hasek. On the bags (pardon the pun), we have all ladies: Andrea Veresova (Jagr's ex), Gwen Stefani, Lisa Loeb and Bjork (so I can tell her how stupid she is). Cooking dinner for the post-round chat: Emeril Legasse and Martin Yan.

Debating about inviting someone REALLY rich to pick up the tab for all this...

Dan
    Get Tiger's Fiance to cook!
    Colby

Get Tiger's Fiance to cook!
    Hehehe... She can roll my "cigarettes".....

Dan

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_duckbroken27
    If you move the ball with a practice swing (a practice swing is NOT a "stroke at the ball"), it is not a stroke. It is a penalty because you have caused the ball to move without making a "stroke" at it. You must replace the ball and add a penalty stroke to your score.

Not really.

If you accidentally hit it (practice swing), it is NOT a stroke. Therefore, the stroke cannot count. However, it is a penalty and you must add a penalty stroke to your score.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    If you move the ball with a practice swing (a practice swing is NOT a "stroke at the ball"), it is not a stroke. It is a penalty because you have caused the ball to move without making a "stroke" at it. You must replace the ball and add a penalty stroke to your score.
    Thanks Gary,

I thought you played it where it ended up, which could be quite ugly if it ends up in a pond or in the fescue or something. I was looking for this, and now just looking, I see it's all under 18-2a. I need to put my glasses on, hahaha.
    Colby

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I did exactly that at Nation last season, and while the guys I was playing with told me to reload, I insisted that I'd just take my second shot from where the ball had landed....

I'm such a dumbass.

$$$$$$$$

Dano, Dano. I was one of those 3 trying not to pee our shorts or roll over laughing. It was marvellous but we were trying not to embarass you.

The reason was because you took as hard a swing (9-iron for 155 yds?) as you possibly could!! You managed to graze the ball so delicately that it only had enough oomph to fall off the tee!!!!!

So you were right to not re-tee & we didn't want to penalize you after such GREAT ENTERTAINMENT...

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Dano, Dano. I was one of those 3 trying not to pee our shorts or roll over laughing. It was marvellous but we were trying not to embarass you.
    Not the RED shorts!
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    I was one of those 3 trying not to pee our shorts or roll over laughing. It was marvellous but we were trying not to embarass you.

The reason was because you took as hard a swing (9-iron for 155 yds?) as you possibly could!! You managed to graze the ball so delicately that it only had enough oomph to fall off the tee!!!!!

So you were right to not re-tee & we didn't want to penalize you after such GREAT ENTERTAINMENT...

No, no, no... That wasn't the one. I'm talking the teeoff on the elevated hole on the back 9. It's a par 5. I'm sure it wasn't as funny as the time I actually swung so hard I ended up faceplanting at Cedar Glen.....
    My partner that day laughed, although he didn't see it. He just heard "swissssshhhh, thump, thump..."

Hehehe...

Dan

No, no, no... That wasn't the one.
    I see it happens alot broken27............

Thread Information