100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron haligolfer is on a distinguished road

last minute golf vacation suggestions?

Hi,

Just found myself with 2 weeks before a new job starts and am thinking about a golf trip. I will be solo and care more about golf than the accommodations, food, etc. I can also fly on points. So, anybody have any suggestions for a great deal on a 4-7 day trip for golf in the US? I'm looking at keeping my costs down and not getting penalized too much for single occupancy.

Thanks

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    I'm leaving next week for Houston. I know it's not on everyone's list for a great golf vacation, but there are some really nice courses in/around Houston. Most are in the $25-$45 range, but there are a few in the upper regions for green fees (Redstone - $125). Accomodations are reasonable, especially if booked through Orbitz (some sweet deals there, that's what I booked through). If interested, shoot me a PM and I'll shoot you a list of my favs and others that have been recommended.

I'm in Philly on my way home and thought I'd add a bit to the last post.

I managed to play 5 rounds at 4 "quality" courses and one "mid-level" course. Total spent on green fees - $96.00, including carts at all courses and GPS at 3 of them. Only the "mid-level" course was in "less than ideal" condition with the fairways still a bit brown. Otherwise, all the fairways/green/teeboxes were nice and green and the greens were receptive and pretty fast. I decided against playing Redstone again since they bumped their green fees up $50!
    My accomodations weren't "first class", but then I only wanted a place to sleep so the suite I had suited my purposes very well (comfy bed, hot shower, fridge, microwave, stove/oven and cable tv.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Last minute game.

You realize that 98% of the forum members hate your guts right now dont you!!!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    I'm in Philly on my way home and thought I'd add a bit to the last post.

I managed to play 5 rounds at 4 "quality" courses and one "mid-level" course. Total spent on green fees - $96.00, including carts at all courses and GPS at 3 of them. Only the "mid-level" course was in "less than ideal" condition with the fairways still a bit brown. Otherwise, all the fairways/green/teeboxes were nice and green and the greens were receptive and pretty fast. I decided against playing Redstone again since they bumped their green fees up $50!
    My accomodations weren't "first class", but then I only wanted a place to sleep so the suite I had suited my purposes very well (comfy bed, hot shower, fridge, microwave, stove/oven and cable tv.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I have enough of this cold and snow. Looking at Cuba for mid march...still didn't book anything.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    You realize that 98% of the forum members hate your guts right now dont you!!!LOL
    I know!!

I just wanted to let people know that there are excellent golf destinations other than Myrtle Beach, Florida or Arizona. Houston isn't somewhere you hear people talking about, but the accomodations are good, the weather is very good, there are upwards of 40 courses to choose from, the food is great, and there's tons of entertainment available (take in a Rockets game while you're there!). And who can complain about spending less than $100US for 5 rounds at very good courses.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Yes, but Lionel, you are in Texas...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Yes, but Lionel, you are in Texas...
    Exactly my point. If you're going for a golfing vacation, it's an option to consider. Ok, so you don't have 101 courses to choose from as in MB, but the choices in Houston will rival a lot of the MB courses, and probably for less. Since it's not a "golf destination", prices aren't nearly as inflated as in MB. The weather in the spring is mostly warmer than MB as well, with much less chance of snow or freezing temps. If you HAVE to have a beach nearby, Galveston and Freeport are less than an hour's drive.
    Just an option.

Thread Information