CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar

Stonebridge vs. Carleton Golf Club

If you haven't already noticed I am on the hunt for a place to become a member for the 09 season. I was a member at Greensmere last year but found it far enough from my house that I wasn't able to play as much as I would have liked. After hearing that availability of tee-times and pace of play can be a concern at The Canadian I have focused on a few other courses. The two courses that I am considering now(even though they are QUITE a bit more expensive) are Stonebridge and Carleton Golf and Yacht Club. If someone has played both recently or been a member at either place I would appreciate some feedback on your experiences. They are both within a 20 min. drive from my house and are very close in price for their membership dues. The major problem being I have never played the Carleton course yet so it is diffficult for me to directly compare which layout I like more. Anyways any input would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Carelton is a decent layout, not overly long, tight in spots with quite a few tree lined fairways but I have generally enjoyed playing there. It doesn't have a big wow factor and is pretty flat but has an older course feel to it. It is private so you have all the aspects that go with that, for better or for worse.

SB is pretty open, has excellent conditioning and an interesting layout though the greens can be too undulated for some. I personally like it a lot. It's not private so you have the good and bad of that.

If I had to play one or the other every day, my preference would be SB.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    If you qualify for one of the intermediate categories, I would consider Rideauview too. I know if I lived in Barrhaven it would be very tempting.
    If you wind up joining Carelton let me know, I have never played it but Renfrew has a reciprocal play deal with Carleton, so I'm looking to take advantage & try it next year.
    Andrew

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I was a member at Carleton for years. It is a great course they have been improving it for long time. I don't really think you can compare these 2 courses but here we go anyway. SB is a links style course with LOTS of punishing long grass instead of trees. CGYC has tight tree lined fairways. CGYC is fully private so tee time availability should be much much better and also pace of play will almost never be an issue whereas SB pace of play can be bad not to mention the marshalls constantly breathing down your neck. There are houses around both but at CGYC they seem less obtrusive. Number one thing for me is the practice facility, no range at SB. CGYC's range is not perfect but at least they have one and they have a GREAT short game area. I would much prefer playing at CGYC then SB any day. If you really want to you can join Carleton and play SB a couple times a year still. I would pick CGYC for sure, I would still be a member but its almost an hour drive from my house. Hope this helps.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

been a member at both

I have been a member at both SB and Carleton. 3 years ago I had a season golf pass at SB, I really enjoyed the course but I wanted to join a club not just play a course. After spending one season at Emerald Links, I joined CGYC last season with a group of buddies. Here are my observations:

SB
    - really nice track, esp if you like links golf
    - challenging, bordering on overly penal at times
    - pace of play is better then most public courses but I had some really long rounds there
    - nice clubhouse and staff
    - the fact that they took the range out would be a deal breaker for me
    - when I was there there was no club storage, no handicaps, no organized events, no club championships etc.. just golf. This has changed recently so you may want to investigate more

CGYC
    - private course which means good access to tee times and the course is maintained to the highest levels
    - very good track, more parkland style with lots of tree lined fairways
    - not overly long but challenging enough to keep you interested even if you play several times a week. If you try to over power this course it will eat you up.
    - good practice facilities
    - you will play in 4hrs
    - GREAT membership, the mens league is fantastic and there are a large variety of events for members to play in
    - the head pro, staff and restaurant are superb

At SB you will pay an annual fee and that is it. At CGYC you will pay a one time initiation and an annual fee plus a food and bev minimum. Joining with a group, like I did will get you a lower initiation. For private golf CGYC offers the very best deal in the city.

If you want more info you can PM me.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Actually if you are an intermediate (<30) you don't pay initiation at CGYC, just annual fee ($1000 - $2800) depending on your age. And no F&B min for students.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    Thanks a lot for the input everyone...definitely helping me choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    If you qualify for one of the intermediate categories, I would consider Rideauview too. I know if I lived in Barrhaven it would be very tempting.
    I looked into rideauview but looks like I would have to pay initiation fees and food & beverage tab on top of the membership dues...a little too pricey for me. Thanks for the heads up though because it's only 10-15 min from me.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar

Rideauview vs. Carleton

I went through this process last year. I was debating between joining CGCC and RCC. There were quite a few factors that I took into consideration before I decided to join Rideauview.

Both clubs will allow you to play a couple of rounds to get a feel for the course. Steve Ducat at Rideauview actually put me in a foursome that matched my calibre of golf. It was an indirect way of schmoozing me. I was placed on the waiting list at Rideauview last year and am now a full playing member.

Rideauview:
    • Arguably one of the best junior programs in the NCR. I took this into serious consideration because I am getting married this year and golf is an important part of our lives;
    • Demographics; the age demographic is quite broad. I can play with people my age (31) or folks a bit older;
    • Overall I found the members and the staff extremely welcoming and extremely friendly. I was asked to join foursomes on a regular basis.
    • The lottery system on the weekend is actually a fair way to get tee times.
    • Initiation has a payment plan; F&B is actually cheaper than most courses. Annual Dues are still reasonably priced;
    • New clubhouse, great food and Molson Canadian on tap (the fill the pitchers to the brim!!!)
    Golf at Rideauview:
    • 5 sets of tee boxes; you can play a different course everytime you are out there;
    • Beautiful tree lined fairways with challenging greens;
    • The enforce the 4:15 round of golf; if you are over that time you may receive a letter in the mail;
    • Overall the golf at RCC is challenging and rewarding.
    • Practice facilities are good; green is quite large, driving range has quite a few spots to practice, short game area is reasonable as well;
    Carleton - Only my opinion
    • Demographic seemed a bit older than that of RCC;
    • If you know a member they could potentially offer a $1000 voucher to be applied to you intiation;
    • It is actually more expensive than RCC;
    • I found the course in beautiful condition, but I did not like the travel distance between some homes;
    • I also like the fact that RCC does not back onto any homes;
    • This course requires very precise iron play; it is no coincidence that the Women dominate the NCR intersectionals.
    Overall after thinking about this decision in great detail and I decided that Rideauview was the best option for me.

If you need or would like to ask specific question please do not hesitate. Like I said, I went through this process last year and it is still quite fresh in my mind.

Cheers

Lob Wedge Gadz is on a distinguished road
    Weighing what everyone has said and the fact that you didn't play Greensmere that much because it was far from your home/work...and you live in Barrhaven....Stonebridge is a no brainer....plus it's one of my favorite courses.....every year it gets better and better.

I was moments away from joining SB this year but with 3 kids under 6, I just can't justify the amount of golf I'd need to play to make the membership worthwhile. So this year I'll be a roamer for once a week golf...but there's always hope for next year.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 02-26-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    A couple of things to follow up this note.

Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf View Post
    I went through this process last year. I was debating between joining CGCC and RCC. There were quite a few factors that I took into consideration before I decided to join Rideauview.

Both clubs will allow you to play a couple of rounds to get a feel for the course. Steve Ducat at Rideauview actually put me in a foursome that matched my calibre of golf. It was an indirect way of schmoozing me. I was placed on the waiting list at Rideauview last year and am now a full playing member.

Rideauview:
    • Arguably one of the best junior programs in the NCR. I took this into serious consideration because I am getting married this year and golf is an important part of our lives;
    • Demographics; the age demographic is quite broad. I can play with people my age (31) or folks a bit older;
    • Overall I found the members and the staff extremely welcoming and extremely friendly. I was asked to join foursomes on a regular basis.
    • The lottery system on the weekend is actually a fair way to get tee times. CGYC has this system as well, getting times is no problems
    • Initiation has a payment plan; F&B is actually cheaper than most courses. Annual Dues are still reasonably priced;
    • New clubhouse, great food and Molson Canadian on tap (the fill the pitchers to the brim!!!)
    Golf at Rideauview:
    • 5 sets of tee boxes; you can play a different course everytime you are out there;
    • Beautiful tree lined fairways with challenging greens;
    • The enforce the 4:15 round of golf; if you are over that time you may receive a letter in the mail; a 4:15 round at CGYC is a long round, people actually complain when it gets that long, 4 Hours average from #1-#18. If it gets backed up, people figure out where the problem is and "encourage" people to move along...
    • Overall the golf at RCC is challenging and rewarding.
    • Practice facilities are good; green is quite large, driving range has quite a few spots to practice, short game area is reasonable as well;
    Carleton - Only my opinion
    • Demographic seemed a bit older than that of RCC; CGYC has groups of people joining in the 30-45 year old demographic over the last few years...
    • If you know a member they could potentially offer a $1000 voucher to be applied to you intiation;
    • It is actually more expensive than RCC; I would double check this, as I think it would depend on the catagory, they are almost identical.
    • I found the course in beautiful condition, but I did not like the travel distance between some homes;
    • I also like the fact that RCC does not back onto any homes; You barely even feel the homes on the course at CGYC, the trees block out quite a bit of this. Not like Stonebridge where you can take a quick dip in someone's pool if you wanted too
    • This course requires very precise iron play; it is no coincidence that the Women dominate the NCR intersectionals. what's wrong with having to hit good irons, is everyone here a bomber that can't hit anything more than a driver and don't know how to hit a variety golf shots instead? lol...
    Overall after thinking about this decision in great detail and I decided that Rideauview was the best option for me.

If you need or would like to ask specific question please do not hesitate. Like I said, I went through this process last year and it is still quite fresh in my mind.

Cheers
    Hey, what can I say, I am a CGYC member and I like the place. I live in Kanata and it's 25 minutes door to door. I could join somewhere closer, but the club has everything I could want or ask for in a private club.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    Marc I really enjoy playing golf at CYGC; it was a tough decision between your course and my course, but ultimately RCC is 4 Kms closer to my house.

The statement about the precise iron play was in my opinion a huge asset this course offers.

Both top calibre courses and you will be happy to be at either course!

Maybe we can share recipricol play sometime.

Cheers,
    Justin

Thread Information