100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Golf Town

Putter bobby is on a distinguished road
    just goes to show ya the range of selection they have. The best of the best and the product for the beginner or the consumer who wishes not to spend so much on shoes or whatever. It's heaven in there i tell ya!!!

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Wow....I bet you used all the keys on the keyboard typing this!

Quote Originally Posted by TelUrMomISayThx
    Let's face it guys. No matter what kind of store you run, you aren't going to please everyone. I have read the responses in this forum, and the majority of them are complaints. Just think about it. You are complaining about a store that has been running for less than a week.
    I have worked in a golf retail store and there is nothing more that pissed me and my day off than to deal with customers who expect the store to be absolutely perfect. For what is perfect for one person, another person might hate and will rant about it. The store just opened and already you guys are cutting it up. The management there will learn and improve with time.
    You don't think the employees of golftown are trying their best to serve you while in the store? Did you take into account that there were probably hundreds of people in a new store at any one time within the first weekend (at least there was the few times when i went in there), that even the employees were probably still getting used to. You can bet your dollar that the salesman were told to do their best for customer-turnover. No one is going to book enough staff for a 1:1 customer-salesman ratio during an opening weekend. If some people aren't asked how they are doing, then so be it. It's opening weekend. With the crowd that was there, it's something i expected. If you are really in desperate need of help, ask for help. It will come. But no one is going to purposely ignore you, not when it's that busy. I have even heard complaints of repition, too many salesman asking the same person if they need help. If they are rude and useless, that is one thing. But to complain about how they can't manage the hundreds of customers at one time. Gee, parish the thought.
    It amazes me how spoiled people can be.
    For instance, the last few comments about the simulator. There have been multiple threads about a launch monitor and how they should be everywhere. Well, Golftown is one of the few retailers to have it. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. So now you have a launch monitor in the biggest golf retailer in the area. And now you are complaining that you can't try it outside? There is no difference whether a launch monitor is inside or outside. It is giving you raw facts, and does not take into account playing conditions. I agree, demoes are nice. So go to chuck's, try it out, then go back to golftown. That's what i plan on doing. It's not like people weren't doing this sort of thing before golftown arrived.
    I think there were even comments about the pricing. For the most part, i've seen the prices are a little bit lower than anywhere else. Yes, some are higher but i did say "for the most part". Golftown has said they won't be undersold. Tell them what you can get it elsewhere, and they'll match and take off an extra 5%. But judging from the ranting about it, i guess that still isn't good enough.
    I think the reason they chose Kanata is because of the expansion of the surrounding areas. Why do you think the Centrum has grown so quickly within the last 5 years? Kanata, Barrhaven, Stittsville, everywhere is growing quickly. Who knows, maybe they were planning on having more than one location and chose Kanata so that they could have stores that are spread out. To me, the Centrum seems logical. It's very close off the queensway. Even if you talk to building managers or commercial leasing in downtown, they even know that the expansion is in the West End. But even then, You try to get to any of the CB locations, you are looking about 5-10 minutes off the queensway if you don't catch the lights right.
    If you disagree with me, fine. That is your opinion, this is mine. But if you read and followed the thread, it seems like many are expecting perfection. And even if it is met, it's still not good enough. Let's face it. Golftown is where it's at. The selection, the facility, location are much better than any of their competitors. A store with choice like this is long overdue.

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    I would like to order volume one of this post please......in paperback if it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby
    Hey, how is everyone? I'd like to introduce myself to this forum as a first time respondant.
    I don't really know what is going on here, but i have to tell ya.....
    Golf Town is really the future of golf retail in Ottawa, and all of Canada. I mean, come on, its the 4th largest golf retailer in the world. They are doing something right.
    -Its not rigging the simulator. Its spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on getting two machines, that everyone was begging for, to provide the golfer with more information than they could ever imagine....at no charge. Is it accurate? As accurate as its gonna get, indoors, with perfect conditions, perfect lies, and on a simulated driving range, simulating perfect conditions on a Phoenix practice facility.
    -Its not bad customer service. Its the best customer service Ottawa has ever seen in a golf store. I've never experienced so many fresh, happy faces that will lend me a hand at every angle i could ask for. I've been shopping at Chucks Browns for years. Wanna know why? Its 'cause they ran a monopoly for over 35 years with not one peice of good competition. There was no where else to go. When you walk into a Chuck Brown store, it looks like a pawn shop, with a bunch of has ass displays, covered in dust, empty displays and disgruntled employees just waiting for something better to come along. All around its bad service (no product, no service) I know its not the employees fault, but I also know that the people in important positions at Chuck Browns have disrespected them to a point of no return. I can't give my business to a company that has overworked and underpaid thier staff 'cause they didn't have to be competitive with other golf retailers. If you have spent the time that I have in a selected Chucks store, you'd hear the stories too. I've been hearing stories, and I've even heard the employees talking about how much they can't stand "so and so" (upper management). I know I know, this may not be important to others, but for me.....I'm happy that I don't have to support a bad employer any longer.
    -Prices? I'm assuming the prices at Golf Town will be better. I'm hearing that there is a bit of a price war happening in Ottawa, so of course prices will be fluctuating between store. One thing I have to give to Chucks: Chucks have finally gotten off their heals because its do or die now.
    Give it some time and I'm sure that the market will hit a plateau with Golf Town ending up on top, or with Chucks nailing their doors shut because they didn't know customer service until the competition came. Too little too late?
    -as for location....I'm in the east end right now, and I know that its not best for me. But just like most crazy golfers, I'll travel there for the experience. Chatting with one of the young lads at Golf Town, he's confident that they will open an east end location in the next "year or two". I hope that happens and if it does, I can totally understand the purpose of opening in Kanata. Besides, isn't Kanata an expanding market, surrounded by good courses, that wasn't penetrated by a good golf store. I'm assuming that a company as successful as golf town has done more than just basic market research.

I don't know whats gonna happen in the future of golf retail here, but i do know that the market is being shaken up and in the end, it'll be product, price and service that prevails. What golf town has is the ability to provide everything, in multiple varieties, specs, sizes, colors, etc. And in the end...this may be the most important peice of good service provided. Plus the Professional on site, and all the other experts. I have even seen the General Manager of the store running around serving customers and climbing ladders, hitting the trenches. Or how about the high fives and the pats on the shoulders that he was giving his employees as I waited in line at the cash. Has anyone seen the GM of Chucks doing such duties? Never. And if you have, consider yourself lucky to have seen such a rare event. Kinda like a solar eclipse.

Lets not all get overly concerned about this issue. I think that Golf Town is a canadian company with a mission statement, vision, and staff that know that the consumer comes first. It was more than evident during my first, second, third and fourth visit there. By the way....fifth visit will be tomorrow.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    I went there today, and was impressed by the size of the store, however I wanted to get some clubs regripped and the guy who does it has so many other clubs to do before he could get to mine, he said it probably wouldn't be until Tuesday before I get the clubs back, that's almost a week. I could easily go to Chuck Brown's or ProGolf and get them done almost right away. Also I like Chuck Brown's and ProGolf because they have used equipment. Also, the shoes at Golftown seemed really expensive, I saw pair there for $400.00! Can you imagine. But as far as selection and prices Golftown is pretty good.
    HAHA. That's the best part you can buy shoes for 50-400 bucks. From practical to dreaming. 400. That's a practice membership at the marshes!

It's not a good sign if you can get your clubs regripped on the spot at CB's that means they're not very busy.

They'll need to get another person in there to help. I'm sure they didn't expect this response. In fact. I'm sure they didn't.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    HAHA. That's the best part you can buy shoes for 50-400 bucks. From practical to dreaming. 400. That's a practice membership at the marshes!

It's not a good sign if you can get your clubs regripped on the spot at CB's that means they're not very busy.

They'll need to get another person in there to help. I'm sure they didn't expect this response. In fact. I'm sure they didn't.

Andru is starting to remind me of that guy on Hairclub for men who was so impressed, he bought the company.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Andru is starting to remind me of that guy on Hairclub for men who was so impressed, he bought the company.
    Sy Sperling?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Isn't that a good sign? I would suggest it's better than waiting...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Isn't that a good sign? I would suggest it's better than waiting...

Dan
    not a good sign for CB's that is.

I know this sounds stupid but I thought of this big box idea 10 years ago before I even thought about playing, watching, talking about golf. I illustrated the store the idea and the name "Golf World". I didn't have simulators because I had no idea they existed. But Like everything. I was young and more interested in partying. What a dumb*****!

I thought about an indoor short game facility with bunkers and a green it was awesome.

Cheers

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    not a good sign for CB's that is.

I know this sounds stupid but I thought of this big box idea 10 years ago before I even thought about playing, watching, talking about golf. I illustrated the store the idea and the name "Golf World". I didn't have simulators because I had no idea they existed. But Like everything. I was young and more interested in partying. What a dumb*****!

I thought about an indoor short game facility with bunkers and a green it was awesome.

Cheers
    ...and I thought of drive-through coffee shops many years ago. But I thought who the hell would want to wait in line for their coffee sitting in their car.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    ...and I thought of drive-through coffee shops many years ago. But I thought who the hell would want to wait in line for their coffee sitting in their car.
    I feel your pain.........

Gap Wedge gronker is on a distinguished road
    Hey!

I think the guy that thought up hot dogs has got everyone beat!

"Well, let me see, how about we mash up pigs snouts and arses in a small tube
    and serve em up on a bun."

gronker

Quote Originally Posted by em69
    Mmmmm...my dad did a University experiment on Christmas Tree farming, and did a business paper on it. He dismissed it for the army and marriage...now every time we drive through eastern Canada, all we see is acre after acre of Christmas Trees...

Sigh.

Andru
    Mmmmm...my dad did a University experiment on Christmas Tree farming, and did a business paper on it. He dismissed it for the army and marriage...now every time we drive through eastern Canada, all we see is acre after acre of Christmas Trees...

Sigh.
    First one was funny next one. Yawn!!

First one was funny next one. Yawn!!
    I don't get it. I was coming up with an experience that is similar...and then you attack me? Weird. Hope you have a better day.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I don't get it. I was coming up with an experience that is similar...and then you attack me? Weird. Hope you have a better day.

I don't get it either...I liked your story.

Andru
    Sorry Deep Woods.

I read the hotdog one and I thought you were trying to be a joker. My bad.

Please accept my apology.

It was a good story.

Cheers
    Last edited by Andru; 05-04-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Sorry Deep Woods.

I read the hotdog one and I thought you were trying to be a joker. My bad.

Please accept my apology.
    No prob, had those misinterpretations on this site too...I posted after reading yours, didnt see the hot dog one til later...

Putter darby is on a distinguished road darby's Avatar

Thumbs up

I fortunatley live about 5 minutes away from GolfTown, and if there is a heaven, GolfTown be thy name. They have just about every club imagineable and then some. I never realized the amount of quality clubs a store could carry.The golf simulator in the back is to be taken with a grain of salt however (everyone should know that). But the fact that they have 2 is cool. Nice place to visit on a rained out Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by gwil
    Be careful - I have priced 2 different sets of irons and each time they were cheaper at Chuck Brown Golf.
    Same here. There's also been some great used sets at CB's.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Same here. There's also been some great used sets at CB's.
    I also priced out a driver for my wife. $20.00 cheaper at Pro Golf
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information