CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Question Moving to Ottawa, course info Plse!

I am moving to Ottawa and would like some info on courses in the area. I looked on the web, but I want to know what they're really like. What better way to find out then ask fellow golfers! Also, I am in the military anybody out there know of a military course for Ottawa and if so, how is it?
    Thanks
    Denny

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I am moving to Ottawa and would like some info on courses in the area. I looked on the web, but I want to know what they're really like. What better way to find out then ask fellow golfers! Also, I am in the military anybody out there know of a military course for Ottawa and if so, how is it?
    Thanks
    Denny
    Its been a while, but DND used to offer a corporate golf pass that let you play cheap (half price) at many courses, based on a fixed fee at the beginning of the year. They also have a course near the airport, but I THINK (not sure) its only an ok course (its been a while).

As far as highly recommended, I'll highly recommend (price + golf experience + nice greens):
    Eagle Creek (a must, 30 min west of downtown Ottawa)
    Loch March (very nice, same distance)
    Marshes (if you can afford it, great course)
    Manderly (south, close to downtown, always crowded)
    Stonebridge (beware: short course, deep rough and crazy greens, its pretty much an iron course, try it and see if it suits you...lots of debate about it)
    Emerald links (same issues as stonebridge, a precision course)

And these ones are more affordable, usually in good shape, I feel are worth trying out, but get pretty crowded:
    - Mont Cascade: probably the closest to downtown yet most enjoyable course, beware of back nine, very hilly, take up their good "rent a cart for the back nine only" deal...greens are ok)
    - Calabogie (worth the drive in my opinion, very scenic, reasonably priced)
    - Packenham (similar to Calabogie, but closer)
    - Nation (east, worth the drive, greens are not the greatest)
    - Canadian: a bit too crowded, but good course conditions...don't expect a speedy round.
    - Upper Canada: a course I feel is well worth the 1 hour drive, esp if near cornwall
    - Montibello: well east of here, about 1 to 1.5 hours, nice course
    - Thurso course: nice course, 1 hour away

And if:
    you get out towards the Tremblant resort area, 1.5 hours north east of here, they have some incredible (but expensive) courses.

Thats my opinion. You're going to hear a lot of recommendations. The above are courses I feel you'll have a good experience on. The top list are courses where the conditions & greens tend to be nicer or more challenging, but are a bit pricier.
    Last edited by Deep Woods; 04-05-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Thanks
    Denny
    The miltary course near the airport is the Hylands. Pretty cheap if you are DND personnel, although I think there are a lot of memberships. 36 holes that are usually in pretty good shap. Nice-lag should be able to give some information here. He is also military that recently moved away from Ottawa, but was a member at the course.

Ditto Deep Woods' comments. Manderley used to be bad for crowds, but that has eased with the opening of their new 9 to make 27 holes. I would also add the Meadows with 36 holes and some decent frequent player memberships.

You might want to check out the OttawaGolf Club. It gives you a chance to play a variety of courses inexpensively.
    Last edited by Colby; 04-05-2004 at 11:27 PM.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Ditto Deep Woods' comments except that he has Manderley listed in both categories.
    Thx...fixed.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I'd add Dragonfly to the list of "good conditions, fun to play". Also very reasonably priced. Up near Montebello (maybe worth making a weekend of it) is Heritage. Apparently a very nice course.

Hear nice things about Royal Papineau as well.

Welcome to Ottawa.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Thx...fixed.
    No problemo
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Welcome to Ottawa.....I work for DND at the Louis St.Laurent Bldg......contrary to what you may have heard....there is no golf to be played in Ottawa...if you want I can hook you up with a good snowball league....they have forts and everything!............OK maybe I'm a little bitter.....DND has an excellant deal for a golf association.....I will PM you my email address at work and I will send you the links

Cheers

Mark

Thanks
    Denny

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    I have played all but Montebello...hopefully this year.....I mainly have been playing at Champlain because it is about 10 minutes from work ("I'll be right back I just forgot something in my car") I played the Marshes last year, had the game of my life...hopefully I will get back a couple of times and find another game like the last one.....and I play Casselview because it is 5 minutes from the house

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

Dnd...

A wee bit off topic here, but seeing as there are so many DND folk here apparently, how are job opportunities DND right now - for engineers particularily.

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    I would like to say that I am a member at Hylands and it is a great course to play. We have 36 holes and both course offer a different challenge. They are long enough and offer a good choice for any level of play depending on the tee box you choose. Yes we do have a lot of members but the play is fast (thanks to time clock every third tee box to keep play under 4.5 hours) I played over 70 games there last year and always played under 4.5 hours and never had a problem getting a tee time. It is a private course so it is not really a problem playing, many times last year I would show up at 1600 and play by myself any one of the 2 courses. The course is well maintained and they are always working to make it better and more challenging, the greens are in great shape and fast.
    Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by yun
    A wee bit off topic here, but seeing as there are so many DND folk here apparently, how are job opportunities DND right now - for engineers particularily.
    dbleber:
    There are lots of jobs in DND for engineers that pay fairly well. Depending on your degree you would more than likely qualify for Officer training. Go to 66 Slater St in Ottawa and get the info from the recruiter. The military is nothing like what you see in the movies and is a pretty good life style. I use to be in the infantry (very army!) and now have transfered over to the airforce. The military put me through 2 years at St Lawerence College in Kingston for Electronic Engineering Technicians, not a bad way to make a buck! There are lots of oppertunities and you can always change your trade and start fresh.
    Hope this helps
    Denny

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar

Which End of Town?

If you are on the West end of town I'm going to throw my Biased opinion(I'm a member) in and say to join Renfrew. $877.40 (taxes incl.) for a membership for the year. 40 Mins from the west end (soon to be 30-35 when the get the 4 lanes into Arnprior).

We had the green complexes completely redone 3 or 4 years ago and after a little struggle, they were amazing last year. Great layout for any type of golfer, great atmosphere up there, good food, friendly staff.

Take a trip up when it opens and see for yourself. Good luck on the links and welcome to Ottawa bro.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio
    If you are on the West end of town I'm going to throw my Biased opinion(I'm a member) in and say to join Renfrew. $877.40 (taxes incl.) for a membership for the year. 40 Mins from the west end (soon to be 30-35 when the get the 4 lanes into Arnprior).

We had the green complexes completely redone 3 or 4 years ago and after a little struggle, they were amazing last year. Great layout for any type of golfer, great atmosphere up there, good food, friendly staff.

Take a trip up when it opens and see for yourself. Good luck on the links and welcome to Ottawa bro.
    I used to be posted in Petawawa and my wife is from Pembroke. My father-in-law and I go to Renfrew at least once I year. I agree, it is a beautiful course thatmost golfers should try. It is not for the faint of heart or those who want to have an open field to crack the big stick. It is a very hard course with fast true greens. Maybe I'll take your advise, I bought a house in Barrhven so it wouldn't be to far. Thanks for the imput and see you on the links!
    Denny

Thread Information