100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter jwdspace is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Help choosing the best golf training aid!

Hey guys,

I got looking around the forum and finally decided to join. Great site! But I have a couple of questions. I've been doing some research on some products to help me get an edge (I have a running bet with a friend about who can drive farther - kinda silly I know). I'm wondering which of these products can help me the most, I've read all the sales pages and they all sound pretty good. So should I buy all of them?

Do you guys know which one is better? Here are their websites:

http://www.howtobreak80.com
    http://www.golfswingbook.com
    http://www.thedaveway.com

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!
    Last edited by jwdspace; 01-23-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Smiley didn't show :(

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    To me the best training aid is a used golf shaft with a grip on it. It is great to help the whole swing.

1. To identify sway, stick it in the ground next to your rear hip as you turn back trying not to hit the shaft.

2 To further identify sway, stick the shaft in the ground inside your rear foot so it sticks up between your kneecap and foot. Not turn back not letting your kneecap cross over the shaft. Hit balls this way and if your a sway-er, its a good aid.

3. Set up to a ball with any club, now take the shaft and put it in the ground at the same angle to the club and simply move left so the hosel of you club is on line with the shaft in the backswing. Now make backswings and not hit the shaft. This forces you not to come inside at the bottom but rather set the club on line correctly and then complete the backswing with a shoulder torso turn. Once you get the move back mastered then you simply swing stright down from the top and thus, swing under the shaft. You can literally make full swings hitting balls with that shaft in ground and if you do and not hit the shaft you have mastered the golf swing. Be sure and put a towell or somthing around the dhaft so mis do no harm to you or your gear.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    This one is the best with a momentus iron :

http://www.paulbertholy.com/

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Pitching Wedge Crackberry is on a distinguished road

Training Aids

The websites listed look like instructional programs rather than training aids. Training aids are great as long as you choose the right one for YOU.

I like these: http://www.evershedgolf.com/proshop/

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackberry View Post
    The websites listed look like instructional programs rather than training aids. Training aids are great as long as you choose the right one for YOU.
    http://www.evershedgolf.com/proshop/
    I have been a proponent of Mark Evershed's TGS method, particularly his "Knowledge Video," a must view for learning what really happens in a good golf swing.

The most invaluable training aid is "The Power Click" which Mark sells, or the Tac Tic which can be purchased from Gary Wiren's site, www.golfaroundtheworld.com. I have also made a "Sequence Tube," another Evershed device, from a piece of copper tubing, and frankly, it works better than the Sequence Tube.

An impact bag is also something to consider.

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I have been a proponent of Mark Evershed's TGS method, particularly his "Knowledge Video," a must view for learning what really happens in a good golf swing.

The most invaluable training aid is "The Power Click" which Mark sells, or the Tac Tic which can be purchased from Gary Wiren's site, www.golfaroundtheworld.com. I have also made a "Sequence Tube," another Evershed device, from a piece of copper tubing, and frankly, it works better than the Sequence Tube.

An impact bag is also something to consider.
    I also like Mark Evershed a lot ............. heh BC MIST plse explain how you made your "sequence tube" ?? Cheers .......

I would also know how you made the Sequence Tube and how it works. Also do you know how much The Power Click sells for?

Ty
    Mike

Lob Wedge johnjoiner is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdspace View Post
    Hey guys,

I got looking around the forum and finally decided to join. Great site! But I have a couple of questions. I've been doing some research on some products to help me get an edge (I have a running bet with a friend about who can drive farther - kinda silly I know). I'm wondering which of these products can help me the most, I've read all the sales pages and they all sound pretty good. So should I buy all of them?

Do you guys know which one is better? Here are their websites:

http://www.howtobreak80.com
    http://www.golfswingbook.com
    http://www.thedaveway.com

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

I've been using the momentus power hitter for a few weeks now, and it does what it says on the tin. Its been a fantastic investment for me

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I would also know how you made the Sequence Tube and how it works. Also do you know how much The Power Click sells for?
    I will post something about my "sequence tube," soon, with pictures, I hope.

The Power Click is available from evershedgolf.com and you have to register and buy credits to purchase a product and to find out the cost. I have had my PC for several years and it cost about $45.

Lob Wedge Tourstriker is on a distinguished road Tourstriker's Avatar

Here's a new one...

I'm a big fan of Mark Evershed too. I spent many hours with him on the lesson tee. He helped me a ton.

I have all his stuff and recomend it highly.

Check out www.tourstriker.com

I just launched it at the PGA Show. It was a big hit.

Hopefully, it can help some of you.

Cheers,

Martin

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Anyone have success with the medicus for fixing a slice?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

While the Medicus has been a wildly popular training club, I'm not a fan. I bet the ranch, it a skilled player used it (and didn't know it was the Medicus) it would break as soon as they drew it away from the ball.

Slow backswings (while an illusion) are for poor golfers. Any tour player would KO someone with thier BACKSWING! To move the ball any significant distance you need reciprocating motion from fast to faster, not slow to fast.
    Martin Chuck, PGA
    [URL="http://www.tourstriker.com"]Tour Striker Training Club[/URL]

3 Wood kilntyme is on a distinguished road kilntyme's Avatar
    I gotta say I love the Medicus...don't forget in order to start your forward swing you have to stop your back swing. I find the Medicus helped me a ton with timing and toning down a hard swing to a nice tempo. As for a slice...I would have to say in conjunction with some lessons and some swing training it has helped.
    Mark K

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree that the Medicus is excellent as a tempo aid. You can also tighten the screws to enable a faster backswing. To answer the thread question, I found that the "Inside Approach" device endorsed by Jack Nicklaus or something similar is amazing to stop a slice. You get instant feeback on the outside to inside swing or over the top. I purchased a device called the Orange Loop which was great for me. I always sliced or faded the ball, not any more. I dont think that the Loop is sold anymore but I still have mine and use it regularly
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    All your little secrets are coming out now ...LEFTY

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Scott, dont you even listen to those informercials, all those aids take 5 strokes off your game, if you use them all at the same time you will be a scratch golfer in less than a week, who needs Hank Haney!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

All these training aids do help. Each training aid helps a specific type of player or to correct a specific bad move. The issue is patience and hard work. You need to invest time and hard work to improve. You are all looking for the quick fix. It isn’t doing to happen.

Do you think all the pros got to where they are today? If the best player in the world practices 40+ hours a week, what do you need to do to get better?

Mike
    Last edited by mberube; 04-23-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Do you think all the pros got to where they are today? If the best player in the world practices 40+ hours a day, what do you need to do to get better?

Mike
    Does this pro go by the name Marty McFly? Does he keep his clubs in a Delorean?

I would love to see what the average Joe golfer would be able to accomplish in one year with a PGA level teacher, practicing 40hrs/week.
    Lefty Lucas

Just try 1h a day structured short game practice sessions (20 minutes putting, 20 minutes chipping and 20 minutes pitching) and you will see an amazing improvement in your game. I have done it and dropped 2 digits as a single HDCP player. I practice 2h a day 3-4 days a week plus two rounds.

The problem is that most won’t make that sacrifice but are willing to spend money on gadgets with false hopes that this will cure their faults and make them a good golfer with minimal effort. There is a saying in French “ tu récoltes ce que tu sèmes ”. The best translation would be « results come from the fruits of your labor »

Mike
    Last edited by mberube; 04-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    Mike I absolutely agree with you. I notice the best players at my club spend more time putting, chipping and hitting chip shots to a 50 yard flag. They always finish their practice session hitting balls, but I rarely see the better players at my club go right to hitting balls.

I have a routine when I practice much along the same lines as you. People do not realize how many strokes you can save by getting up and down a few times in a round.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    best training aidis a CPGA pro
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Professional Help...

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    best training aidis a CPGA pro
    Hear, Hear! Great comment.

Teachers will use props from time to time to expedite the message.
    Martin Chuck, PGA
    [URL="http://www.tourstriker.com"]Tour Striker Training Club[/URL]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    The simple fact is many people just don't have time to spend 40+ hours a week honing golf skills.
    Agreed there is no substitute for a good instuctor, but my reason for seeking out a good training aid is for hitting balls into the driving net I have in my back yard. I don't just want to stand there and smash balls into the net because I know I'm just ingraining bad swing habits, and I have lots.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

I never said that you needed to practice 40 hour a week. If you are practicing every day hitting balls in the net in your back yard you are already on the right path. What I’m saying is that you must work hard to get better and a training aid will not help if for one it’s not the proper training aid to fix your fault and two, you don’t put in the hours to fix those bad habits.

How many here have purchased a training aid and did not give it enough time and practice to actually do its suppose to do? How many of you have those training aids in the garage accumulating dust?

Pitching Wedge explore is on a distinguished road explore's Avatar
    Hi Guys I'm new here so I hope you all don't mind if I say a few words.
    I've been playing for 4 years and play in the 90 my best this year was 89 my over all best was 86 I like to play the in the blue box.
    I had a medicus for maybe 2 years now and practice with it a few times before a medicus 5 iron.

I notice that my shots and game started getting bad and had nothing else to think of my head kept telling me why why is this happening I cant break 90s
    So one day driving back from a game ask my wife to pull out the medicu next day I was at the driving range practice with 3 buckets one with only the medicus 5 iron then the last 2 buckets with my irons. Finally my shots came back to life.
    the next day I went back but with my son I wanted to see if this product really worked.

My son is 10 years old and hard headed lol guess hes like his dad.
    Anyways I told him to use the medicus 5 iron on a full bucket man his hands started hurting but he kept on hinting with the iron I notice his shots where improving so then I told him to take his 5 iron and start hitting balls I was amazed to see the improvement. Yes the medicus works and I'm now waiting on the the 460 driver I hope it will give me the same results as the 5 iron.

I now take this medicus 5 iron to very game practice with before play.
    Right now my irons have improved greatly.
    I order a 460 dual hinged driver and hope the results will be the same.

My biggest problem today is putting.
    I do believe that there's some good products out there worth trying
    just my 2 cents
    Thanks

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by explore View Post
    Hi Guys I'm new here so I hope you all don't mind if I say a few words.
    I've been playing for 4 years and play in the 90 my best this year was 89 my over all best was 86 I like to play the in the blue box.
    I had a medicus for maybe 2 years now and practice with it a few times before a medicus 5 iron.

I notice that my shots and game started getting bad and had nothing else to think of my head kept telling me why why is this happening I cant break 90s
    So one day driving back from a game ask my wife to pull out the medicu next day I was at the driving range practice with 3 buckets one with only the medicus 5 iron then the last 2 buckets with my irons. Finally my shots came back to life.
    the next day I went back but with my son I wanted to see if this product really worked.

My son is 10 years old and hard headed lol guess hes like his dad.
    Anyways I told him to use the medicus 5 iron on a full bucket man his hands started hurting but he kept on hinting with the iron I notice his shots where improving so then I told him to take his 5 iron and start hitting balls I was amazed to see the improvement. Yes the medicus works and I'm now waiting on the the 460 driver I hope it will give me the same results as the 5 iron.

I now take this medicus 5 iron to very game practice with before play.
    Right now my irons have improved greatly.
    I order a 460 dual hinged driver and hope the results will be the same.

My biggest problem today is putting.
    I do believe that there's some good products out there worth trying
    just my 2 cents
    Thanks
    I suggest setting up a small area in your basement or wherever so you can practice your putts and chips. It's all about getting the proper feel carved into your muscle memory. Try this with a weighted putter - it will help you find that smooth, straight stroke. I practice with a weighted putter and it helped my game big time. But IMHO, the best training aid is practice, second best training aid - more practice!
    Last edited by macspesh; 10-07-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: forgot something

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourstriker View Post
    While the Medicus has been a wildly popular training club, I'm not a fan. I bet the ranch, it a skilled player used it (and didn't know it was the Medicus) it would break as soon as they drew it away from the ball.

Slow backswings (while an illusion) are for poor golfers. Any tour player would KO someone with thier BACKSWING! To move the ball any significant distance you need reciprocating motion from fast to faster, not slow to fast.

Plus, you have to open the face of the club to prevent it from breaking in the backswing. I found keeping it square to the arc of the swing will collapse it. To me this means more work to square the club at impact.

Pitching Wedge explore is on a distinguished road explore's Avatar
    well the arc of the back swing the club face must open up that's how your arms work.
    swing your arms side to side and watch how they open, this is how one should swing a club. I hope you understand what i mean, this is how the medicus works you can tighten the hinges so it doesn't break or be so easily.
    Man i hope you guys understand what i'm trying to explain.

Thread Information