CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road

Golf Ball Recommendation?

This past year I used a mix of balls (Dunlop LOCO, Maxfli Revolution Solid, Maxfli Noodle Long and Soft). I just bought about 6 dozen of these from knetgolf as they were listed for 'high handcappers'.
    Well 30 rounds later, I left them all over the Ottawa valley.
    Also lost everything else I found along the way.

So....

I think I would like to stick with one ball for awhile at the start of the season.

What would people recommend for somone that was shooting about 19-20 handicap near the end of the season. I hit about 210-220yard drives and don't slice balls.
    Not sure what other info you would need.

Any suggestions would be great.

P.S. Was there ever a poll here on the brand of golf ball people use? I couldn't find one.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I think I would like to stick with one ball for awhile at the start of the season.
    This is the most important thing for any level of handicap. To a certain degree it doesn't matter what ball you use, once you stick to a single model. By staying with a single model of ball you will be more certain of how far it flies with your irons, how it behaves on chips, etc. All of which lead to better scores.

That being said, I like the Wilson 50 if you are looking for an inexpensive but pretty good performance ball.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Try several brands but make note of how they each feel to you off the tee, on approach shots, chips and pitches and of course putting. You'll be suprised how fast you eliminate the ones that don't feel as good to you and you'll end up with a few you like.

Then play a few rounds with each ball on the short list. practice putting and chipping with each.

I ended up picking the Pinnacle Exception, but each to thier own.

Once you pick a ball order $100 worth of mint balls from Knet (free shipping over $99) You'll have them 2 days after you order. Then play that ball exclusively until they run out. Then you can re-order or do the process again, but now you'll have a better base for the feel you are looking for.

When I find a ball, if it's a brand a buddy plays I give it to him, and vice-versa. Otherwise it goes into a shag bag. I only ever play the one ball.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thanks for the quick replies
    It certainly makes sense to stick with a ball.

Over the summer, I played a few balls that felt great, played well and..... sadly I don't have a clue what they were. Wasn't paying much attention to the brand as I was so happy that things were going so well on the course.

Thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I am switching balls this season and at the end of last year I picked up a sleeve of each of my "candidate" balls. After playing a few rounds with each ball you really get a feel for which one suits your game best.

My box of balls arrived this week from Knet. I just need to figure what colour Sharpie I'm using and I'm good to go!
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I am big fan of the TopFlight D2 Feel. Fantastic ball, great around the greens, and priced right at about $1.25 a ball ($18.99 for 15) new
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I play only the Pinnacle gold and also ordered from Knet, 5 dozen last summer still have over 3 dozen left and give all the balls I find to friends or my kids. Cheers,
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    If you like your results with Loco and Noodles try the Bridgestone e5 or e6
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I,m with Noback on this one.The Bridgestone e5 would be ideal for you.Thats what they recommend for my swing speed.I tried pretty much everything but prefered DT Solo,Noodle to all others for my game.I enjoy the ProV in the summer when its warm but i dont have the speed to compress the ball to get max.yards with it.Try to stick to one brand and buy from Knetgolf.They are very good and they wont break your bank.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I,m with Noback on this one.The Bridgestone e5 would be ideal for you.Thats what they recommend for my swing speed.I tried pretty much everything but prefered DT Solo,Noodle to all others for my game.I enjoy the ProV in the summer when its warm but i dont have the speed to compress the ball to get max.yards with it.Try to stick to one brand and buy from Knetgolf.They are very good and they wont break your bank.
    Marcos

there's also a new one out there B330RX - looks like a good ball too

http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en/product/b330rx.aspx
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I saw those Steve and we got some for my son to try out this season.Hopefully they will live up to all the hype(extra yards etc...)Should be a great ball for us old guys.LOL.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I spent a while last season trying to find a ball that worked for me and I use the Dunlop Loco and really like it. I drive about 220 or so (pretty straight usually) and have an index of 24 and this ball just feels good to me....not too hard and still reasonable off the tee. Another benefit is the price...I don't feel the need to cry every time I plonk one in a water hazard (an all too frequent occurance I'm afraid!).

I think it's pretty subsjective "feel" thing. Once you find a ball you like stick with it for a while.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
    I will be buying from knetgolf again.
    I might buy 1-2 dozen of a few different brands.
    that will give me about 5-6 rounds with each brand.

Today I noticed knetgolf is offering 30% off for Canadians because of the drop in our dollar.
    Just a FYI, if someone is thinking of buying.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Grabster, sounds like you have a SS that is in the normal range. A lower compression ball is best and if you want to see if that works try a sleeve of the Intech TiLo or Limbo balls available at Walmart. They are great value, durable and cheap and made for the someone with a lower swing speed.

I also second the Bridgestone E5 or E5+ and the B330RX is amazing. I have never hit a ball that far with my crappy SS!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I've been using Top Flight, 24/$19.95 @ COSTCO. Just did the ball fitting on the Bridgestone web page and it came back with B330RX. I have seen the ads on TV and wondered if they would do for my swing speed of <100. Might give them a try.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Kiwi, I have a SS of 74mph with my 6 iron and 88 with the driver and I can attest to the B330RX. It is very long and I absolutely love it but it is pricy.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks Chief, nice stats, if one really wants to get a ball that suits his swing then pay the extra dough and go to www.golfballselector.com They will find you a ball that is ideal if you know what you want. It used to be free but they charge now. I used then and it was absolutely great.
    Lefty Lucas

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Pinnacle Exceptions are $26 for 2 dozen at GT. Really nice ball for the money. When it came out they were calling it the "poor man's Pro V".

At the other end of the spectrum, I played the Callaway Tour-i ball when I was in Arizona. What an amazing piece of technology. Longer for me than Pro V, and spins beautifully.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

3 Wood Dawg64 is on a distinguished road Dawg64's Avatar
    Try the Srixon Tri-Speed!! great three piece ball and still only $25/ dozen. Check it out on their website

Thread Information