CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stack and tilt

Lob Wedge johnjoiner is on a distinguished road

stack and tilt

I just thought i would ask if anyone else has tried the stack and tilt method. I've been tinkering with it for a few months now but have not made up my mind if I'm going to fully commit to it

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoiner View Post
    I just thought i would ask if anyone else has tried the stack and tilt method. I've been tinkering with it for a few months now but have not made up my mind if I'm going to fully commit to it
    John, have a look at this very recent thread...

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=38639
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Putter Passenger is on a distinguished road

Stack & Tilt - local Ottawa instructor

I hear that S&T is easier on the back.

If true, I would be open to some training if there is some local instructor. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I looked, could not find one locally
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Putter Passenger is on a distinguished road

Local S&T Instructors

Thnxx for checking on local instructors there L2 .......

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I recently (couple games ago) switched to the stack and tilt method.... So far, I am very pleased with the results. I have however lost some distance on my driver. I am now hitting about 230-240. Before I was averaging about 250 and with a good shot I could get upwards of 280+. But the main thing is, I am hitting it straight (that's right Lefty!) I have shot my two best games using this method. And hope to make it to the mid 80's consistantly this season! As for my irons, I did not really notice any loss of distance. Maybe a couple yards, but nothing major.
    I may not be following it to a tee, but as for now, I am hitting the ball much more consistantly, and feel comfortable over the ball. I would suggest any high handicapper to try this method out if you are struggling making good contact.
    As for my driver, I may switch back and do a bit of a weight shift... I want my yardage back :-(.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    A friend of mine used this when he was recovering from a major ankle injury and couldn't roll his weight onto it. It worked pretty well for him and he kept his HDCP around where it was (12) after learning it for about a month.
    Even I've never heard of me

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Dave Druken, a teaching pro out at Greyhawk is pretty well versed in the S&T method. Not sure if you have to be a CL member to go see him though.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I was seeing Pat Laderoute there and I did not need to be a CL member so you should be good.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Dave did a fitting for me this summer, great guy to work with. Didn't know he was a S&T guy... highly recommend him.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Pitching Wedge Double D is on a distinguished road
    Dave Druken available at t-to green golf school. Very familiar with stack and tilt.

Thanks
    Lefty Lucas

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    This months Golf Digest magazine has an article on Stack and Tilt including a 6 step program to using it. Although never as good as a teaching pro, it might be worth picking it up and giving it a try to see if you like the basics to the style.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    I recently (couple games ago) switched to the stack and tilt method.... So far, I am very pleased with the results. I have however lost some distance on my driver. I am now hitting about 230-240. Before I was averaging about 250 and with a good shot I could get upwards of 280+. But the main thing is, I am hitting it straight (that's right Lefty!) I have shot my two best games using this method. And hope to make it to the mid 80's consistantly this season! As for my irons, I did not really notice any loss of distance. Maybe a couple yards, but nothing major.
    I may not be following it to a tee, but as for now, I am hitting the ball much more consistantly, and feel comfortable over the ball. I would suggest any high handicapper to try this method out if you are struggling making good contact.
    As for my driver, I may switch back and do a bit of a weight shift... I want my yardage back :-(.
    I've found the same thing. My drives are now around 240-245. (Down 15-20 yards) However, my irons shots are so pure (straight and long) that I don't want to give this method up.

So, do you now have two different swings, one for driver and S&T for Irons? And how's it working out for you?

I think this is common with this system. It promotes a more steep approach into the ball which is great for all clubs except the driver. You are likely getting too much spin, perhaps a low spin ball or a higher kick shaft will help.
    Lefty Lucas

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I've found the same thing. My drives are now around 240-245. (Down 15-20 yards) However, my irons shots are so pure (straight and long) that I don't want to give this method up.

So, do you now have two different swings, one for driver and S&T for Irons? And how's it working out for you?
    Very bad approach, mixing methods. Most people have difficulty with driver and it is due to not getting left long enough. Essentially most of us like to rotate hips and body far too quickly (results in a steeper angle of attack and usually saved by early extension through the ball = shorter flight). S&T, by virtue of a centered pivot, requires that after the completion of the backswing, you move left (for a righty) longer in order to shallow out the swing path. It is not about getting left faster, it is about getting left longer. Essentially, continually shift to the left, way more left than you ever think you could (think first base). As you move left you will eventually "stand up" (they refer to it as "pouncing cat") which will allow the hips to naturally rotate and release. Additionally, presetting with a little more axis tilt will assist in this with the long stuff.
    Worth picking up the book. There are also a number of web sites out there that have a lot of S&T influence:

http://thegolfevolution.com/
    http://dahlquistgolf.informe.com/

Also a Stack & Tilt Facebook group. (look for it like that, not Stack and Tilt or stack n tilt)

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I'll try this out next time on the range.

I imagine then the ball would have to be moved slightly further forward.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post

I imagine then the ball would have to be moved slightly further forward.
    Generally, ball position will be even with inside of left foot. Dependent on shape of shot, you may want to adjust...moving it back a little will assist with hitting on the back side of the circle more, helping to ensure a draw flight (dependent on face) and MAY result in lower flight, while moving ball forward may assist with lessening curvature and higher ball flight as you start to ascend on the swing path.

Basically, start with even with inside of left foot and see what happens. Real key is still ensuring you are continually moving left.

Putter freshman is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Generally, ball position will be even with inside of left foot. Dependent on shape of shot, you may want to adjust...moving it back a little will assist with hitting on the back side of the circle more, helping to ensure a draw flight (dependent on face) and MAY result in lower flight, while moving ball forward may assist with lessening curvature and higher ball flight as you start to ascend on the swing path.

Basically, start with even with inside of left foot and see what happens. Real key is still ensuring you are continually moving left.

I like S&T too and started another thread about it.

Domo, do you mean that moving the ball back will make you hit it lower? i thought the more back the more the open the club face to hit it higher? the upper windows they call it?

Quote Originally Posted by freshman View Post
    I like S&T too and started another thread about it.

Domo, do you mean that moving the ball back will make you hit it lower? I thought the more back the more the open the club face to hit it higher? the upper windows they call it?

My thinking was that as the ball is further back the clubhead (with driver) will potentially still be descending at impact, thus potentially lowering ball flight when compared with an ascending hit on the ball (ball further forward).

As I learn more and more however, the reality is that the best way to ensure adequate loft for launch angles is to ensure you are as left as you can possibly go and standing up through impact. By getting linear and forward, you are essentially changing the back side of the circle, ensuring an angle of attack from the inside thus preserving the open face you mention.

But you also are correct in that the face would be more open at impact if ball is further back in the stance assuming I am also moving in a linear fashion in the downswing. Shaft lean will also have a big say in this (more lean = face more open).

More than one way to skin a cat I suppose, which is what the game is all about.

Putter freshman is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    My thinking was that as the ball is further back the clubhead (with driver) will potentially still be descending at impact, thus potentially lowering ball flight when compared with an ascending hit on the ball (ball further forward).

As I learn more and more however, the reality is that the best way to ensure adequate loft for launch angles is to ensure you are as left as you can possibly go and standing up through impact. By getting linear and forward, you are essentially changing the back side of the circle, ensuring an angle of attack from the inside thus preserving the open face you mention.

But you also are correct in that the face would be more open at impact if ball is further back in the stance assuming I am also moving in a linear fashion in the downswing. Shaft lean will also have a big say in this (more lean = face more open).

More than one way to skin a cat I suppose, which is what the game is all about.
    I didnt know you were talking driver. moreforwardLONGER seems to be the name of the game

Bill Wood
    I would imagine that when using S and T many conventional swing positions are out the window. Using S and T the position of the shaft at the completion of the backswing even for those that are supple would be on a flatter plane. It would have to be if the grip is correct. My point is that during the turn of the back and hips along the centre would not match a standard right to left foot weight shift. Without getting too mechanical I think in S and T you have have to 'let' the club go where it wants in the backswing. ST feels funny at the start but I think it does have merits.

Thread Information