100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Would you like Hanifi on your team instead of steve?
    :shake :cryin :shake :cryin
    Hmmm, good point!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Would you like Hanifi on your team instead of steve?
    :shake :cryin :shake :cryin
    I can deal with them both, No preferences

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I find it a little stupid though that he can play in one fifth the number of tournaments as Mickelson (and poorly I might add) and still be number one. Doesn't the sheer number of events played have anything to do with it?

Masters Picks:
    Mickelson
    Harrington
    J. Kelly

Dan
    no, the sheer number of events played has nothing to do with it. It's the nomber of wins that mathers, A second place finish is like a second loser and a thirsd place finish is like a third looser. and so forth and so on. No mather how many times phil playes, until he doesn't win He IS a loser, Just different position. IMO

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road

Tiger +3 after 6 holes...........

Here we go again, all the talk will be about this now and not the leader
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Here we go again, all the talk will be about this now and not the leader
    It is the broad's fault.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger

Tiger and Davis must be winning the Masters. I've seen everyone of their shots and Mike (who for a while was at one over) was granted the privilege of being seen three times. Oh, I'm wrong. Tiger is playing like a dog (4 over after 14), but that seems to make absolutely no difference to the bozos at CBS. Did I mention that during their rapt attention (more like a fixation) to Tiger and Davis, they missed the phenomenal charge by K.J. Choi who was 3 over after 11, and then birdied 12, 13, 14, and 15, after which he parred 16 through 18. Enough already. At least occasionally show us the guys who are burning it up even if their names aren't Tiger, Davis, Phil ....

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

well said mpare

At least occasionally show us the guys who are burning it up even if their names aren't Tiger, Davis, Phil ....
    I couldnt have said it better.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

6 Iron Keithsguy is on a distinguished road Keithsguy's Avatar
    Sorry guys, if you take into consideration the fact that 30% of the viewers are watching the PGA because of Tiger you can see where CBS is coming from. If you disagree, look at the viewing numbers of a tourney that Tiger competes in vs. tourney's Tiger lets go...
    Not that I am a huge Tiger fan but he draws.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithsguy
    Sorry guys, if you take into consideration the fact that 30% of the viewers are watching the PGA because of Tiger you can see where CBS is coming from. If you disagree, look at the viewing numbers of a tourney that Tiger competes in vs. tourney's Tiger lets go...
    Not that I am a huge Tiger fan but he draws.
    That may be the rationale for TV's approach, but it is ultimately counter-productive. By focusing on Tiger to the exclusion of the other players, they miss a valuable opportunity to introduce the viewers to "new" players with whom the audience can then form an attachment. Once that attachment is made, the public is more likely to tune in for these players even when Tiger is either not present or not playing well. As it is, CBS and others hitch their wagon to one horse and then wonder why their numbers crash when Mr. Woods is AWOL.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    That may be the rationale for TV's approach, but it is ultimately counter-productive. By focusing on Tiger to the exclusion of the other players, they miss a valuable opportunity to introduce the viewers to "new" players with whom the audience can then form an attachment. Once that attachment is made, the public is more likely to tune in for these players even when Tiger is either not present or not playing well. As it is, CBS and others hitch their wagon to one horse and then wonder why their numbers crash when Mr. Woods is AWOL.
    Agreed, that is why the numbers are low when Tiger is a no-show for other events. The fact is the 30% of the viewers that make up these numbers are not huge golf fans but huge 'superstar' fans.
    It is too bad that some of the big name draws such as Sergio, Daly, Duval, Mickelson, etc cannot show up every event as Tiger does. I do not mention VJ here because he is a fan favourite and these 'superstar' watchers are not going to care. I know JD has not been a huge top 10 presence over the past years but those non/semi golf fans know the name and will watch when they hear his name.
    If I missed some of anyone's favourite players in my list it is just a quick example - not a top 5 or 10.

Agreed, that is why the numbers are low when Tiger is a no-show for other events. The fact is the 30% of the viewers that make up these numbers are not huge golf fans but huge 'superstar' fans.
    It is too bad that some of the big name draws such as Sergio, Daly, Duval, Mickelson, etc cannot show up every event as Tiger does. I do not mention VJ here because he is a fan favourite and these 'superstar' watchers are not going to care. I know JD has not been a huge top 10 presence over the past years but those non/semi golf fans know the name and will watch when they hear his name.
    If I missed some of anyone's favourite players in my list it is just a quick example - not a top 5 or 10.
    I meant
    I do not mention VJ here because he is NOTa fan favourite and these 'superstar' watchers are not going to care -

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    I meant
    I do not mention VJ here because he is NOTa fan favourite and these 'superstar' watchers are not going to care -
    I can understand the draw...but people are also watching to see who WINS the masters...the leaders would be nice to watch, instead of "Master's Memories", which we can catch on the golf channel anyway...its possible to do both, but it was lame coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    I can understand the draw...but people are also watching to see who WINS the masters...the leaders would be nice to watch, instead of "Master's Memories", which we can catch on the golf channel anyway...its possible to do both, but it was lame coverage.
    Today is the second day, Tiger is still in contention and if Tiger goes 15 off the pace and late Saturday when the media says that he is out of the hunt, watch the viewing numbers drop. I am not saying that 'golf fans' are not going to watch the finaly, I am saying the 'pretenders' or 'big name draw fans' will not be watching.

I love the Masters, it is, to me, the best tournament of the year and it means real golf is right around the corner!!!!

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Today is the second day, Tiger is still in contention and if Tiger goes 15 off the pace and late Saturday when the media says that he is out of the hunt, watch the viewing numbers drop.
    Yes, but its possible to cover Tiger AND the lesser-name-chargers in the field.

And I'll take bets AGAINST Tiger winning...I've never seen him swing this badly.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    The sad part is that the coverage spent more time following Tiger than the leading money winner on tour this year to date. The fanaticism that follows this "soon-to-be-is-a-has-been" is ridiculous. I'd rather watch Alex Cejka play than Tiger. One's playing well, the other poorly.

In Arnie's case, okay, not a problem to watch the king play. Nicklaus had a decent start, then they showed less and less....

Didn't see much of Justin Rose, even though he tore it up.

I was watching on every possible combination of satellite feeds, and the only reason I can imagine they were showing Tiger is because he played so poorly (for him).

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerFade
    Oops, it can't be Phil either because a lefty has NEVER won the Masters. Um, ...
    Oops is right, lol
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar
    This is my first pre-tournament correct prediction ever. I feel so special!! Too bad Annika didn't place... :cryin

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Oops is right, lol

Thread Information