CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Arrow OG/TGN Ryder Cup Version'09!!!!

So guys, it's getting about that time of year again. Time to discuss the biggest golf event of the season!!!!

I've already had some preliminary discussions with racmbs and he's thrown a few ideas out there.

Item #1: Starting this year (or perhaps next), having the winning team from the previous year host the event. That would mean travelling to TO for the event at a TO course for this year. But on the bright side, racmbs said he would talk it over with his teammates and perhaps they would be kind enough to allow us to bunk at their places to cut back on costs considering we would be travelling farther.

Item #2: The date of the event. I would really like to be able to play in this event, considering I was co-inventor of the event. . But seeing as how my wedding date is set for June 12, having it in May like we usually do, I would have to back out. racmbs has proposed a Sept date, or possibly Aug or Oct, depending on what works best for everyone.

Thoughts anyone?????
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind end of June as it is before the holiday season starts. I wouldn't want to be travelling 5 hrs to Toronto as it really takes a big chunk out of that day and driving back on Sunday through TO traffic after the round will not be most desirable IMO.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I wouldn't mind end of June as it is before the holiday season starts. I wouldn't want to be travelling 5 hrs to Toronto as it really takes a big chunk out of that day and driving back on Sunday through TO traffic after the round will not be most desirable IMO.

I figured the driving to TO wouldn't be too well received, but we'll see what others say. And as for the event being held in June or July, that probably won't happen as most club events take place during those months. Club events are usually done by the end of Aug/beginning of Sept.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I like the Belleville site.. However, I am in for whatever is decided.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    OG vs. TGN - Ryder Cup 2009

Where: Trillium Wood Golf Club (Belleville, ON)
    When: August 29th & 30th

Format

Saturday (Round 1) - 2-man Best Ball (Tee Times = 08:59 - 10:00)
    Saturday (Round 2) - Modified Alternate Shot (Tee Times = 13:56 - 14:57)
    Sunday - Singles Match Play (Tee Times = 10:00 - 11:01)

Golf Costs

The first round on Saturday, and the Sunday round will cost $46 +15.50 cart + tax. The second round on Saturday is a smooth $25 including Cart.

Saturday Evening

There's a 9PM reservation at Crabby Joe's. Again this year, we are blessed to have the UFC give us some entertainment in the form of UFC 102. Apparently there are other forms of nightlife available, I'll leave that up to everyone to discover for themselves.

The Team (Saturday Pairings Grouped)

hoolio - 6.0
    PalmerIsKing - 5.6

Big Johnny69 - 6.5
    payne4ever 14.6
    LobWedge - 6.4
    OutOfTheRough - 10.2

geronamo - 7.8
    Sakuraba - 10.0
    mpare - 3.9
    McGoo - 19.2

Bouche - 5.0
    rezadue - 16.2
    Pinshark - 7.9
    Wilster - 13.3

The Saint - 9.0
    leftylucas - 13.3
    jvincent - 7.5
    Indio - 14.8

Lodging

A block of Rooms has been reserved at the Holiday Inn Express (877-863-4780). Hopefully everyone has got their room setup by now, but if not you should call and put one aside now. Rates for this block were set at $139.95 for Friday and $155.95 for Saturday. If you need a roomie, well you best get posting and figure that out now.

There are a few who are staying elsewhere (B&B, Comfort Inn)

Practice Round on Friday

Three (3) tee times have been booked for Friday August 28th at 12:00, 12:10, and 12:20 at Black Bear Ridge for a practice round / cash game. The cost of the round for us should be $82.28 which includes cart and tax. Here is the list of players right now, please PM me if you wish to be added to the list.
    • hoolio
    • geronamo
    • PalmerIsKing
    • mpare
    • The Saint
    • Wilster
    • rezadue
    • Indio

ORIGINAL RESPONSE - I'm not a big fan of the hosting either way. I don't really feel like driving to Toronto and crashing on someone's couch or paying a lot more for a hotel room. Even if we win I don't want to play in Ottawa because I enjoy getting away for a golf weekend, so for me, there is no upside to the change of venue. I could be in the minority on this though.

As for the date, I really could care less unless it affects costs significantly.
    Last edited by hoolio; 08-24-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Megan Fox made me do it...
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I loved Trillium Woods & go-g- I mean Belleville last year.
    Andrew

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Put me on the waiting list in case you guys have droupouts.

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the hosting either way. I don't really feel like driving to Toronto and crashing on someone's couch or paying a lot more for a hotel room. Even if we win I don't want to play in Ottawa because I enjoy getting away for a golf weekend, so for me, there is no upside to the change of venue. I could be in the minority on this though.

As for the date, I really could care less unless it affects costs significantly.
    I've never kicked an ugly girl out of bed for eating crackers, and certainly wouldn't make a fellow competitor crash on a couch on the eve of the big battle...we are afterall, Canadian.

I completely understand why you boys wouldn't want to drive down, I just put the idea out there for Geoff to maybe change things up a bit and make it different this year.

I am all for playing Trillium and making the drive out to Belleville, but let's work on changing the date to later in the year as Geoff has a wedding to plan and we want him walking down that isle in June with his nutz intact.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Put me on the waiting list in case you guys have droupouts.
    The only droupouts are over 53.. hmmm I wonder who that could be ?Indio
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Assuming that you still want me on the team, and given that I will be retired, I am ready for anything. You just tell me where and when.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I'm up for just about anything as well (how about 36 holes Saturday and 18 or 36 Sunday?)..... Like Hoolio I am not crazy about going down to Toronto or having them come to Ottawa, I like the idea of a weekend away and since they aren't going to retain or ever get their hands on that trophy again, then halfway seem fair to me. I do not mind switching to another location for the event however. There are plenty of courses between To and Ott so pick one gents!!

Oh and Mr. Saint, I ain't dropping out of nothing, you are stuck with Indio!!!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I would prefer to keep the location at Belleville as well. The course is nice, it's convenient for everyone, etc.

As for the date, my availability is usually dictated by what's going on at work once we get past the month of May so any month will work for me.

Sept or Oct are probably better since Aug will still be the busy holiday season for Belleville.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I too would rather have it in Belleville, rather than travel to TO. Hopefully the busy summer will allow me to play again. T'was a lot of fun!
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I won't make the trip to Toronto but would do Belleville area in early May as we've had it but later in the year there are way too many club events that would make it difficult for me to go. I also do like the idea of getting away from the home area and hosting may take a lot away. The Belleville area has seemed to be good for both sides.

Gerry, we all know you can be bought with free beers if the date isn't in May. Good to see you've started your bargaining early.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    I feel the same as everyone else. Belleville is a nice central location and not a bad drive for individuals commuting between rounds AND we are just beginning to make really good friendships with the staff at the golf course, east side marios, go *um*....cart place...
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'm up for whatever , whenever , then only restrictions i have are possible open houses , when i put my house up for sale ,other than that its all good.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I have no holidays planned for the summer this year and as I am not a member of a club, I dont' have to worry about club events! Assuming you would like my services, I can be there.

I would prefer the Belle-vegas location as well. Outside of that, something central would be better than going to TO or having them here. By the sounds of the cost of TO courses, we'd have to host two years in a row to equate to one round down there

Fally
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Geoff: is there any chance you could sell this to your betrothed by calling it a bachelor party?
    Andrew

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I'd be up for returning to the team if there are spots ... hated missing it last year

as for venue, i'd say keep the same location.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I'd be interested in playing as well, especially if it's later during the season...

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I am in and like most of you really like the Belleville location. Whenever it is I would try my hardest to play again. I love this event.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    If the dates work, I would love to participate aswell.
    THUNDER

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Geoff, i would be up for any location and later in the summer is better for me as well as I am having my wedding at the end of June. Really looking forward to joining the Ottawa team again after missing last year because i was in Auz. If there are no open spots, let me know who is the 'weakest of the herd' and I can take care of him!!!

In all seriousness, this event was so much fun, I will travel to Toronto if I had to for it, although I do agree that a central Belleville-ish area is great so its a 'weekend' away for all players, plus I don't think it would be fair to the Toronto boys to have to travel to Ottawa for the next 10+ years, yup I went there already!!!

If it does go to the Toronto area, I have a 2-bedroom place in Hamilton that can be used by a few players.

Hey Geoff it seems like there may be a few guys interested in coming back. Any chance we can increase the event size?

As every tournament organizer knows, "interest" and actually being able to show up are rarely the same thing.

Well obviously guys would have to commit instead of just showing interest based on the date chosen!

Last year we had a waiting list I believe and when it came down to the last week we ended scrambling to find somebody to complete the team.

My point exactly.

I think at this point we should start compiling the list of interested players and once we nail a date and people confirm their availability then we can start to look at the final numbers.

These are my thoughts:

Last year many players for the inaugural competition had to back out due to personal commitments. I fully plan on giving them first crack at the team this year. All new players from last year's event will be given second choice. From there, any new players showing interest will be given the option to play if there are spots available.

I think that is the fairest way to do it. For instance, davevandyk couldn't play last year because he was moving to Australia. Now he's back and he should be given a chance to play again.

So like jvincent said, perhaps a list should be started to gauge interest from the guys that have played the last two years.

First Year Players

Geoff Johnston
    Ginker
    ironmaster
    Indio
    Fallys
    John
    davevandyk
    The Saint (in)
    jvincent
    Drew
    Nat Williams
    mpare
    Pinshark
    gbower
    habsfan
    hoolio
    geronamo
    MusicMan

Second Year Players

Mattchew
    Paulio
    Sakuraba
    Caddyshack04
    LobWedge
    Wilster
    Bouche

New Interested Players

Thunder
    big easy

This is a start, and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 01-17-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Thread Information