100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

A tough course ahead for golf clubs

Patrick White of the Globe and Mail recently interviewed me for a story on golf and the economy. It was published January 2,2009. A tough course ahead for golf clubs

Enjoy if you missed it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    read Robert Thompson's review on the article. Very few facts in there, mostly a Toronto centric article about the Canadian golf industry. Take it with a grain of salt.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Is it just me or is there a large chunk of that article repeated again about half way down the page? I haven't really written anything since high-school, but back then repeating paragraphs to meet the minimum word requirement didn't really garner high marks from the teachers. Maybe I missed my calling as a journalist.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    Yes, I notice that too Hoolio. To me it sounds redundant but that's just me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Now I know why I flunked HS English, to much repetition. Let's hope local courses get the same message, lower your greenies, speed up your pace of play and let Lefty Lucas on for free. Sorry about the last part, I was never really good at interpreting messages in articles.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Very repititous, Very repititous...

I hope he didn't get paid to write that.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The article does beg the question, though, as to whether many in the golf industry, from club suppliers to course owners, are charging too much money. Many would argue that they have been doing just that. Overpriced golf courses are a good example. There is no need to spend tens of millions of dollar building a golf course. More modest expenditures can still result in the creation of enjoyable and playable courses, which are reasonably priced. Hopefully, this economic downturn will force a reassessment in that regard.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    The article does beg the question, though, as to whether many in the golf industry, from club suppliers to course owners, are charging too much money. Many would argue that they have been doing just that. Overpriced golf courses are a good example. There is no need to spend tens of millions of dollar building a golf course. More modest expenditures can still result in the creation of enjoyable and playable courses, which are reasonably priced. Hopefully, this economic downturn will force a reassessment in that regard.
    Agreed

And as for clubs Mike, they are WAY too expensive when they come onto the market only to be replaced six month later with a newer one. $600+ drivers???? are you kidding me? I remember a day "long" ago when the most expensive SET (11 piece) was just over $1000.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Agreed

And as for clubs Mike, they are WAY too expensive when they come onto the market only to be replaced six month later with a newer one. $600+ drivers???? are you kidding me? I remember a day "long" ago when the most expensive SET (11 piece) was just over $1000.
    Her is a lengthy article regarding clubs and recession:

http://www.calgolftech.com/whats_new/driver78.html
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information