CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

World Junior Hockey Championships

For those of you who unfortunately missed the lows and the highs of Canada's victory over Russia, TSN has the entire game on its site: http://watch.tsn.ca/international-ho...301#clip126332 Enjoy.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    What an awesome game...truly incredible...

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I'll second that. One of the greatest games I've ever watched. In any sport. I would probably rather have seen it not end in a silly shootout, however.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

It was a great game.

Am I the only one who thought that the Canadian players made a lot of mental/disciplinary mistakes during this game? It seems to me that they'll have to play more disciplined hockey to assure a victory in the finals.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    They seem to need to do more of clearing the puck to the side boards from in front of the goalie, and tying up some players and sticks in front of their own net.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    One of the greatest games I've ever watched. In any sport. I would probably rather have seen it not end in a silly shootout, however.
    Agreed.

Wide open, fast paced hockey, excitingly unpredictable, by kids who just want to win. Wonder if the Slovaks would lend us Janus for the final?

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Wonder if the Slovaks would lend us Janus for the final?

Can you believe that he is not drafted??
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

6 wood
    I watched the game and Canada seemed to be nervous, gripping their sticks a little too tight, afraind to make a mistake, and showing that their biggest fear would be losing to the Russians and not being in the final. It wa a great game to watch with lots of great plays and some metal mistakes thrown in. But what really puts this all into perspective for me was the camera shots at the end of the game showing most of these kids/young adults with their helmets off and you realize how young they are. To have not had your first shave in life and play the game with that level of skill is amazing. A lot of pressure when they feel the only acceptable outcome is GOLD.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Can't wait for tonight!! Pumped to go to the game!!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    I would probably rather have seen it not end in a silly shootout, however.
    It seems like this issue gets raised at every WJC, and I can't understand why the rule isn't changed, at least for the medal rounds. It's not like anyone needs to use the ice afterwards. It's exciting, but it's no way to end a great game like that.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

I guess that is another feature that differentiates this from North American hockey...

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    How about that Swedish goalie, Markstrom? I'm looking forward to his diving routine at the next summer games already!

Go Canada!
    Wannabe Golf

This was one of the best games I have ever witnessed. The intensity level was unsurpassed and the action was non-stop. Wow. The Canadians were truly deserving of this victory. Let me say it again: Wow.

3 Wood Leftygolfer3 is on a distinguished road Leftygolfer3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Agreed.

Wide open, fast paced hockey, excitingly unpredictable, by kids who just want to win. Wonder if the Slovaks would lend us Janus for the final?

I doubt Janus could have played as well as Tokarski did tonight
    Proud Member of the '07, '08, '09, '11 & '12 TGN Ryder Cup Team!!!

I'd be interesting in knowing whether a concern that I had with the post game celebrations is shared by others. Here's what I wrote to a couple of friends this morning:

"My only regret is that the boys seemed to have no sense of the significance of the playing of our national anthem, especially when we have troops in harm's way. I would have been happier if the hats had been removed and a little reserve and respect had been shown during its playing. I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy."

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I'd be interesting in knowing whether a concern that I had with the post game celebrations is shared by others.
    I briefly thought the same thing and then realized that these are just kids living a dream. I don't think any of them were thinking of anything other than they had just won the championship....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quite the effort put forth by team Canada in the last 3 games they played. They made a few mistakes, but that was damn entertaining hockey to watch.

It's a shame that the resident players of Scotiabank place can't put forth such an effort, I'm sure the people who go and pay $10/beer to watch them would really appreciate it.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Had the pleasure of going to the game last night and I must say it was a game of a lifetime..!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

They played an awesome game. They came out firing on all cylinders. Defensively,they really limited Swedens scoring chances. I have to admit, I was a little worried they were going to continue getting into penalty troubles in the 2nd and carry that over to the 3rd period. They were more disciplined in the 3rd. Great overall game.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    What a great game! Great way to end one of the better tournaments. Canada played very very well last night and to stay away from the dirty pool the swedes were pulling was great. Did anyone else think that one of the swedes bit a canadian player after a whistle?
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    What a great game! Great way to end one of the better tournaments. Canada played very very well last night and to stay away from the dirty pool the swedes were pulling was great. Did anyone else think that one of the swedes bit a canadian player after a whistle?
    I think the Net Camera clearly showed that the Sweedish player had the Canadian players glove in his mouth whnn thye player grabbed his bare hand and complained to the ref. I am surprised nothing more was done about it or the commentators didn't pick up on it. I can't remember who the Canadian player was but it was right in front of the Sweedish net after a scramble.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I think the Net Camera clearly showed that the Sweedish player had the Canadian players glove in his mouth whnn thye player grabbed his bare hand and complained to the ref. I am surprised nothing more was done about it or the commentators didn't pick up on it. I can't remember who the Canadian player was but it was right in front of the Sweedish net after a scramble.
    The Canadian player was the captain, Hickey. I believe that the Swede was Tedenby.

IMO, the Swedes got away with a few over the line stuff. For example, Hedman got away with a punch to the head (Esposito?). Tedenby grinded one of the D-man's head and helmut into the ice....D-man got a penalty; Tedenby didn't get anything.

Dave

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    What about the high stick from the Canadian player along the board with about 5 minutes left. I think it was against Hedman.

You guys are listening to the 2 whiners from TSN (McGuire and McKenzie) way too much. They cried throughout the tournament about the officials being too hard on the Canadians.

It was a great tournament, the officiating was OK and life keeps going... I was actually happy for Pat Quinn... even though I never really like him.

My favorite player: PK Subban and he will be a Habs in the future. Does this kid always smile. After every game he always said thanks you to the refs, lots of class.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I actually thought the officiating in this tournament was much much better then in years past. The swedes got away with a ton of stuff in that last game. Their goalie deserves an oscar for some of his performances.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    This was a great game. I was lucky enough to score a ticket to the game.
    This was one of the best experiences that I've ever had. The arena was way louder then any playoff game that I've been to and the crowd was sooooo pumped.
    Next year will be number 6

The sad part is, after watching all those great games at the Bank, now people have to watch the Sens struggle....talk about a different atmosphere....

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    That was the best!

Thread Information