100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter jeevie is on a distinguished road

Roadtrip to Myrtle Beach! Need suggestions

This is my first post on this website, so any help is appreciated.

I am organizing a bachelor party that will be a roadtrip (in a camper/rv) to the Myrtle Beach are in the April-May timeframe. I have a few questions...

1. Since this is a bachelor party, can anyone confirm whether there is a decent enough 'night-life' (i.e. dance clubs, bars, etc.) in the MB area? I have heard that besides the golf, it is a bit of a 'sleepy'/retirement type destination. Since I am travelling with a bunch of young guys, I want to make sure that there will be fun in the evenings as well... if it is no good there for this, any suggestions on where else to go?

2. Since I am taking my camper, does anyone have suggestions on good sites within 15-20min. of the courses, beach, or nightlife to park it?

3. I am contemplating getting 'golf only' packages for our rounds since we will already have the camper. Is this a good idea, or are the savings so minimal that I may as well get golf & stay packages so that we at least have a hotel room for some of the guys to stay at?

4. What will the weather be like in MB in the April-May timeframe? Is it good enough to golf comfortably? (i.e. shorts and golf shirt?)

5. Any idea on how long of a drive it will be to MB from the border?

6. Instead of driving straight to MB, I am considering splitting our drive in 2 portions, so that we only drive 7-8 hours the first day and then do a 'night-out' in a different city before leaving the next morning to MB. Any suggestions on what a good place to "stopover" would be? (note: for going out only, not for golf)

These are a lot of questions, so any help would be appreciated... thanks!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Jeevie,

Here's some answers for you:
    1. April/May is the busy season in MB. The town will be hoping. Broadway at the Beach - http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/ - has a bunch of night clubs, restaurants, etc to keep you busy. There are also a ton of other great restaurants around town (Carolina Roadhouse, etc) Check out the forum at www.myrtlebeachgolftalk.com for more restaurant/nightlife/course conditions, etc.
    2. The forum mentioned above will have your answer for camping spots.
    3. Your choice. The stay and play packages work well. Contact EDSGolf at this site, or Brian at The Golfdesk (he owns the Myrtle Beach forum) April and May are prime season, so prices will be higher.
    4. Weather is at it's best in April/May. I've worn shorts there in February comfortably. It will be nice and warm in April/May
    5. Myrtle Beach is about 16 hours from Ottawa, so about 13-14 from the 1000 Islands border crossing.
    6. We've always driven all the way. Hopefully someone can help with this. 9 hours brings you to the Washington area if you go that route, 7-8 would have you around Harrisburg, Penn if I remember right.
    Good luck!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thanks very much for the info Colby! This is a great start for me...

...keep it coming gentlemen (and ladies)... the more info for me the better!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

MB in April

Have gone there with groups of 4 and 8. Great time every time but since we are a little older than your group will not be able to comment on some of your questions. See our advice following each of your points...

Quote Originally Posted by jeevie View Post
    This is my first post on this website, so any help is appreciated.

I am organizing a bachelor party that will be a roadtrip (in a camper/rv) to the Myrtle Beach are in the April-May timeframe. I have a few questions...

1. Since this is a bachelor party, can anyone confirm whether there is a decent enough 'night-life' (i.e. dance clubs, bars, etc.) in the MB area? I have heard that besides the golf, it is a bit of a 'sleepy'/retirement type destination. Since I am travelling with a bunch of young guys, I want to make sure that there will be fun in the evenings as well... if it is no good there for this, any suggestions on where else to go?

As noted there are many web sited that will offer advice on this. When in doubt, EDSGolf are good and we have booked through him the last three trips so he knows his stuff.

2. Since I am taking my camper, does anyone have suggestions on good sites within 15-20min. of the courses, beach, or nightlife to park it?

a/a. The Grand Strand is probably 70 miles north/south so you should find something good to meet all your criteria.

3. I am contemplating getting 'golf only' packages for our rounds since we will already have the camper. Is this a good idea, or are the savings so minimal that I may as well get golf & stay packages so that we at least have a hotel room for some of the guys to stay at?

Last three years we have stayed at Mrytlewood. They have over 1000 units and it is on two golf courses, Pine Hills and Myrtlewood. Decent courses. Crowd tends to be a bit older and may not appreciate young guns ripping and tearing at 2 AM. Although campers may not like that either.

4. What will the weather be like in MB in the April-May timeframe? Is it good enough to golf comfortably? (i.e. shorts and golf shirt?)

We have gone end of March to end of April. Then it is coolish in the AM but short weather by the end of the round. Should be no problems with summer attire then.

5. Any idea on how long of a drive it will be to MB from the border?

17 hours from Ottawa.

6. Instead of driving straight to MB, I am considering splitting our drive in 2 portions, so that we only drive 7-8 hours the first day and then do a 'night-out' in a different city before leaving the next morning to MB. Any suggestions on what a good place to "stopover" would be? (note: for going out only, not for golf)

We always stay at the Hampton Inn in Winchester. It's about half way. There are at least two but we stay at the one furthers south, right off the interstate. I think it is exit 313B off of Hwy 81. On departure day you could leave early and take in a round along the way or in Winchester.

These are a lot of questions, so any help would be appreciated... thanks!

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    We are in Myrtle Beach right now on a stay and play package........and I would highly recommend it, the golfing is wonderful and yes we have been in shorts this week. However you are coming down in the busy season and the weather should be more than warm enough for shorts, but the golfing will be alot more expensive!!
    Either way you should have a great time!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Hi Jeevie,

Lodging is not expensive in Myrtle Beach, it will cost around $30-35 per night based on 4 golfers staying in a 2 bedroom condo. The rates start to go down a bit on April 27, so that will save you a couple bucks if you can wait that long. Drop us a line with your golf trip details and will give you some golf package ideas.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Thanks Kerisb, EDSGolf, and Kiwi for your replies and info. All of this is very helpful.

I'm surprised to hear that it is still 'shorts' weather this time of year, but that's very encouraging!

EDS - I will drop you an email with my itinerary and hopefully you can help out.

Cheers all.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I have a good suggestion...........Take me pleeeeeeese!!!!!!

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Just got back from Myrtle Beach on Sat morning. There were 2 days while we were there that it was definitley shorts weather, we ran into one day of rain (but was still not bad. The only cold weather we ran into was on the last 2 days Fri and Sat they had frost delays, and it was in the low 40's Fahreneit. But for anyone that golfs into Oct/Nov around here it is about the same. We just wore layers and as the game went on the layers came off. Even on Sat with the frost delay and low 40's temp by the end of our game (by noon) I was down to t-shirt, and would have been down to shorts if they would not have been packed away. It is definitely one trip I am so glad I went on and will definitely be going back, the golf courses are awesome (even though this is their off season), and the people we golfed with and met were wonderful. Couldn't imagine being there and not being able to enjoy yourself!!!!
    Attached Images

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    so where did you play?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeevie View Post
    EDS - I will drop you an email with my itinerary and hopefully you can help out.
    Got it and replied back, thanks.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

sat-played Waterway Hills (18 holes)
    sun- Litchfield (18) and Blackmoor (9)
    mon- Wilbrook (18)
    tues- myrtle beach national south (18)
    wed- myrtle beach national west (18) and myrtle beach national king's north (9)
    thur- long bay (18)
    fri- aberdeen (18)

Thread Information