100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar

Numbers don't lie!!!

O.k. so I'm a little bored and start to analyse my games from last year, so I don't totally suck and got my index down to a respectable 1.7 ( knee is feeling much better, thank you) but I start looking at the fairways hit in relation to the G.I.R's and find out that my play is really related to the fairways hit stat. I find out by running the numbers of my last 35 rounds that I hit the green 85% of the time if I hit the fairway and only 53.9% if I miss. I also find out that on par 4's 88.6 % of my birdies came after hitting the fairway where as on par 5's it's a 50/50 split on the birdies from rough or fairway. I must tell you that I only hit the fairway 50 percent of the time (I'm so ashamed!!) So I think that I may have to think about hitting more fairways to drop my scores more than anything else which means that I may start hitting a 3 wood instead of a driver on any hole less than 370 yards or that plays very tight. For you long hitters out there I'm sure your in the same boat as me and probably would do much better thinking about hitting more fairways rather than having less club coming into the green.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Frank---never mind the stats It's Christmas----have a safe and good one
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hey Frank---never mind the stats It's Christmas----have a safe and good one
    ........Same to you and yours Mac. Hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year .......and that you hit a few more fairways next year ( just to keep on topic )

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Fairways? What are those?

That was my problem all summer, missed fairways. At the course I work at and play all the time if you miss fairways you are toast.

Apparently I did not hit enough of those fairways
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Hey Frank, Hacker gave me the bestest tip ever for improving personal stats..... he told me to get a pencil with an eraser...... he was right, it does improve stats!!
    Too bad stats don't get translated to reality on the course though
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I find out by running the numbers of my last 35 rounds that I hit the green 85% of the time if I hit the fairway and only 53.9% if I miss.
    Remember, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Did you keep track of what your GIR percentage was as function of the club you used for the approach shot? If your percentage drops off sharply as a function of the club used then you may not actually be better off being in the fairway if it means hitting a 5i instead of a 7i.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My stats for 2008 over 110 rounds...
    • Average drive 210 yrds.
    • fairways 67%
    • GIR 21 %
    • Bogies 42%
    • Pars 29%
    • Dbls 27%
    • season end Hcp 14.4
    I'm a short hitter for sure, but being in the fairway aint all it's craked up to be if you still have to hit fwy woods into greens 170+ yards away!

In other words... I'd love to have your issues ironmaster!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Remember, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Did you keep track of what your GIR percentage was as function of the club you used for the approach shot? If your percentage drops off sharply as a function of the club used then you may not actually be better off being in the fairway if it means hitting a 5i instead of a 7i.
    .........I don't have those stats. but it's rare that I have to use more than an 8 iron into greens cause almost all the par 4's are less than 420. It starts to get a little dicey when I have to hit longer than a 6 iron into a green but I would still expect to hit the green half the time if I'm in the fairway, but really doubt that I would hit the green with a long iron from the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    My stats for 2008 over 110 rounds...
    • Average drive 210 yrds.
    • fairways 67%
    • GIR 21 %
    • Bogies 42%
    • Pars 29%
    • Dbls 27%
    • season end Hcp 14.4
    I'm a short hitter for sure, but being in the fairway aint all it's craked up to be if you still have to hit fwy woods into greens 170+ yards away!

In other words... I'd love to have your issues ironmaster!
    ........Here are my stats for the last 175 scores but not every round was broke down by fairways and greens or hole by hole analysis, avg score for all 175 was 74, fairways hit 49.5, greens in regulation 67%, Average carry distance 250, bogies 513, pars 1320, birdies 371, eagles 13, putts per hole 1.77, putts per hole after G.I.R. 1.88.

Thread Information